Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

441 - 457 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts
I’m no snob. On a hot day, there’s nothing wrong with a Budweiser. It’s not my daily choice but it’s not a bad beer.
I’m no snob either, but I go the other way: I’m ok with it being your choice, but think Bud is, objectively and qualitatively, bad beer.

Same with Miller Lite; in fact, I’ve got some in the garage leftover from Thanksgiving when I bought it for my relatives with bad taste. I’ve been drinking it, but can only stand three or four pulls, when I’m at max thirst, before it becomes too disgusting to drink And the rest gets poured down the drain. It is bad beer, no question in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
I’m no snob either, but I go the other way: I’m ok with it being your choice, but think Bud is, objectively and qualitatively, bad beer.

Same with Miller Lite; in fact, I’ve got some in the garage leftover from Thanksgiving when I bought it for my relatives with bad taste. I’ve been drinking it, but can only stand three or four pulls, when I’m at max thirst, before it becomes too disgusting to drink And the rest gets poured down the drain. It is bad beer, no question in my mind.
If I'm going to drink shitty beer, it better be the good stuff. PBR or Hamms. :p I would prefer a 100 other beers though.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I’m no snob. On a hot day, there’s nothing wrong with a Budweiser. It’s not my daily choice but it’s not a bad beer.
There are lots of things that if cold enough will quench your thirst on a hot summer day.....some are just better tasting than others. Bud is squarely in the “others” category. Too much good, fresh craft beer being brewed locally these days to waste my carbs on bad industrial beer.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
There are lots of things that if cold enough will quench your thirst on a hot summer day.....some are just better tasting than others. Bud is squarely in the “others” category. Too much good, fresh craft beer being brewed locally these days to waste my carbs on bad industrial beer.
I am in complete agreement. I am not saying I have ever even bought Budweiser. I am just saying it gets a bad rap when in fact it's not that bad. I have five brew pubs within a few miles of me and I love great craft beer. In fact, I have been shopping for a growler for a while so I can bring home a half gallon of something interesting on a regular basis and I prefer draft over bottled beer. I was looking at the TrailKeg and the SuperHandy.

However, my point on Power's Whiskey was more that some things stand the test of time. It remains one of the most popular in Ireland because it's a reliable, smooth whiskey that adheres to the character of an original Irish whiskey. My wife and I have experimented with others but I return to Powers for the same reason. Just like when one of our local breweries makes a Coffee, Oatmeal, Molasses Stout. It's a nice diversion but it isn't something I am going to drink all the time.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
God I love beer. LOL We have a bajillion micro-breweries in MN, it's faaaaantastic. I need to stay out of this topic though, my wife and I are doing the thirsty 30 (30 days no drinking), just to keep ourselves in check. So far, I can admit that I don't have a drinking problem. :D

·
Premium Member
833 Posts

As I often say to my kids, "That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream." My taste buds don't find Bud that bad. I don't care for Miller other than MGD. I do have a tendency to like bitter more than other people. In fact, my go to corporate "cheap" beers are Heineken or Guinness. But...I enjoy a wide range of tastes and style.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Actually, it is objectively and qualitatively a fantastic lager. To achieve the consistency and quality they have over decades is no small feat. Craft brewers wish they could achieve the consistency and market share of Bud.

Perhaps you just don’t like the flavor of lagers and pilsners in general and Bud in particular as a representative of that style? That’s okay but that’s different than saying it’s a bad beer. Millions of people around the world (and especially central
and Northern Europeans) who drink many millions of gallons of pilsners and lagers each year aren’t wrong.

Craft beers have the advantage of experimenting with small runs. Some more successful batches than others. Some downright undrinkable. I used to hate IPAs. Still don’t like beers with high IBU. But that doesn’t mean all IPAs suck. I love hazy NE juice bombs now because my tastes have evolved and my horizons expanded. Bud isn’t usually my first or second or even third choice. But sometimes it is what I choose to drink because it’s the right beer for me in that moment. Whether it’s a hot summer day or when paired with a shot of Jim Beam bourbon whiskey for a cheap buzz when at a rock concert, it has its time and place.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Actually, it is objectively and qualitatively a fantastic lager. To achieve the consistency and quality they have over decades is no small feat. Craft brewers wish they could achieve the consistency and market share of Bud.

Perhaps you just don’t like the flavor of lagers and pilsners in general and Bud in particular as a representative of that style? That’s okay but that’s different than saying it’s a bad beer. Millions of people around the world (and especially central
and Northern Europeans) who drink many millions of gallons of pilsners and lagers each year aren’t wrong.

Craft beers have the advantage of experimenting with small runs. Some more successful batches than others. Some downright undrinkable. I used to hate IPAs. Still don’t like beers with high IBU. But that doesn’t mean all IPAs suck. I love hazy NE juice bombs now because my tastes have evolved and my horizons expanded. Bud isn’t usually my first or second or even third choice. But sometimes it is what I choose to drink because it’s the right beer for me in that moment. Whether it’s a hot summer day or when paired with a shot of Jim Beam bourbon whiskey for a cheap buzz when at a rock concert, it has its time and place.
I love a good lager, but still think Bud sucks. Good thing there is so much choice these days.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts

Praise it's consistency and market share, but Budweiser has never faired well in tastings against European lagers, and doesn't even do well in tastings against American lagers, when judged by experienced and critical tasters. That it fares well amongst folks with no training, no certification, little experience, and probably bad taste, is not proof of it's quality by my standards. It is not good beer, but rather industrial grade brew.

I do prefer German and Czech pilsners most amongst the range of lagers, and types of beer, even, so it's not that I don't like lager, even though beer generally is not my interest. As a longtime sommelier and now wine importer and distributor for more than 10 years, examining beverages and assessing quality has been a critical practice, and while I'm certainly aware that my tastes are not representative of the market, there is nonetheless a distinction to be drawn between quality and salability, and the former does not necessarily inform the latter.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I do prefer German and Czech pilsners most amongst the range of lagers, and types of beer, even, so it's not that I don't like lager, even though beer generally is not my interest. As a longtime sommelier and now wine importer and distributor for more than 10 years, examining beverages and assessing quality has been a critical practice, and while I'm certainly aware that my tastes are not representative of the market, there is nonetheless a distinction to be drawn between quality and salability, and the former does not necessarily inform the latter.
I like all Pils but I have long been a fan of the Dutch variant. I find the Dutch to be smoother, slightly sweeter and cleaner tasting, less foamy. They just are more drinkable to me (in that I drink too many).

When I lived in France, I was in beer heaven as I was only a couple hours from Belgium. I used to go to this storage shed outside Mons. I was driving one day and saw a hand written sign that said "Beer, Bier, Brew." I pulled over and it was a mini storage park with maybe a dozen units. The garage door was open to one and inside that I found a crappy radio playing at the back and a heavy fella sitting on a folding chair reading a book. In his shed, he had about 10 meters of shelving on one side of the room with literally hundreds of beers lined up. I would go there every couple of weeks and pick up a dozen different styles. I'd spend about €35 and some were incredible and some were downright nasty.

My point is...beer is an art form and while some art is commercial and appeals to mass taste, it does lack character. Other art is very unique but has a limited appeal. It's fun to experiment and find new tastes but sometimes you just want something tried, true, and easy. A buddy of mine calls "Miller Lite" his fishing beer. He drinks it only when he is fishing or when he wishes he was fishing. I can't stand that stuff but I get how something like it evokes an emotional response.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
was just in Beantown and drank a Kistler Chard & Puligny Montrachet from Leflaive...
gotta say the Burgundy was so smooth...went great with all the seafood...
then we went to a place in Cambridge called Giulia, so my kid #Giulia x3= Came with his Q4, parked out front of Giulia with my wife Giulia inside....LOL nice place, I liked their sister restaurant Benedetto better.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts
Social distancing has been tough; I’m pretty much not doing anything other than sitting around the house eating and drinking. In addition to getting fatter, my sedentary lifestyle has taken a toll on my watches in that I don’t move enough to keep my autos wound! So what to do but add some quartz to the mix...high-frequency quartz.

I’ve been fascinated with the Bulova moon watch story ever since astronaut David Scott’s 1971 Apollo 15 moon walk Bulova went over the auction block at $1.5 million a few years, triggering Bulova to create this reproduction, the Lunar Pilot Chronograph in 2015 or thereabouts. Scott’s is, apparently, the only non-NASA issued timepiece to have been on the surface of the moon.

The case and dial design are the repro bits, while the internals are updated from the original’s Universal Genève mechanical movement to a hyper-accurate UHF quartz unit. UG was a Bulova subsidiary at the time, but such a Swiss/American mashup was not usual at the time, especially for Swiss watch firms vying for NASA contracts which stipulated 50% or so of American-made content. Omega Speedmasters were built in American made cases, such as those supplied by Star Watch Case Company, which was located here in Michigan, over in Luddington on Lake Michigan.

Anyway, I need to stop prattling and put up a pic:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I got none of the passions in Watches, Pens, expensive booze that you all fine people have. My meagre earnings go towards loads of travel and good food. But here's my token cheers to you all this Thursday afternoon. Pauwel Kwak is one of my favorites since I first had it @ the Lamb, Leadenhall Market, London in 2002. I buy it by the cases whenever I can find a source this side of The Atlantic.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
I have not had time to drink a good glass of anything nor eat a memorable meal in these last days. These are challenging times to say the least.
So I will enjoy vicariously through you gents! Keep Drinking & Posting...LOL:cool:;)
Stay Safe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Social distancing has been tough; I’m pretty much not doing anything other than sitting around the house eating and drinking. In addition to getting fatter, my sedentary lifestyle has taken a toll on my watches in that I don’t move enough to keep my autos wound! So what to do but add some quartz to the mix...high-frequency quartz.

I’ve been fascinated with the Bulova moon watch story ever since astronaut David Scott’s 1971 Apollo 15 moon walk Bulova went over the auction block at $1.5 million a few years, triggering Bulova to create this reproduction, the Lunar Pilot Chronograph in 2015 or thereabouts. Scott’s is, apparently, the only non-NASA issued timepiece to have been on the surface of the moon.

The case and dial design are the repro bits, while the internals are updated from the original’s Universal Genève mechanical movement to a hyper-accurate UHF quartz unit. UG was a Bulova subsidiary at the time, but such a Swiss/American mashup was not usual at the time, especially for Swiss watch firms vying for NASA contracts which stipulated 50% or so of American-made content. Omega Speedmasters were built in American made cases, such as those supplied by Star Watch Case Company, which was located here in Michigan, over in Luddington on Lake Michigan.

Anyway, I need to stop prattling and put up a pic:

View attachment 96571
I've the same, nice watch and fun story

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts
I've the same, nice watch and fun story View attachment 96580
Your photo really reveals all the texture in the dial, which is quite remarkable for a watch in this low, price range. It makes looking at it interesting for the way light and shadows play. The way the sapphire sits well-proud of the bezel is really cool, too. This watch definitely over-delivers on value!

441 - 457 of 457 Posts