Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Washer fluid

15K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  OrlandoN 
#1 ·
So I went to use the windshield washer and nothing came out, with all the other safety features this car has really no low washer fluid light. Oh by the way it takes almost 2 gallons

#3 ·
Another great tidbit of info from this forum. I’m so used to the “low fluid “ warning light, I would never think to refill or check the level without it coming on. In a million years I never would have guessed this Car doesn’t have one. How is that possible ?

#7 ·
Its a double edged sword....on F30 warning light was allways on if you filed tge reservoir with rain-x..it would mess up theoptical sensor and the whole reservoir had to be changed.....you could only use Bmw washer fluid lol.....I giess italians were practical and skipped that problem before it arises...

#9 ·
What kind of washer fluid are you all using? I've been using Peak -20F (I have to drive to Nevada to acquire this contraband, it is not available in California?!), which at least doesn't freeze but is poor at washing bugs off the windshield.

2 Gallons ~= 16 pounds of washer fluid. That seems excessive both in terms of weight on the vehicle and stress on the washer fluid tank mounts.

Maybe the fluid warning light is only displayed on a subset of the menus?

#10 ·
The Owners Manual says it has a low fluid warning light. I have not seen it because monthly, when I check tire pressures, I check fluid levels and top up. It also says the headlight washers, if equipped, will stop working before the windshield washers.

#15 ·
Ouch. What's your plan?

I all but emptied our bottle of -30F in my wife's car last night. Time to buy more. Hope it's available. Expecting to pay through the nose.

#20 ·
how long does it take to continuously hold the lever on the car to remove the current washer fluid onto the windshield just to get rid of it so i can add the winter fluid?

3 minutes?

#21 ·
Update on the wiper fluid issue:

The California Air Resource Board (CARB) in it's infinite wisdom has made it illegal to use VOCs in windshield washer fluid under most circumstances. Note that all antifreezes that are compatible with windshield washers are classified as VOCs (Isopropanol, Methanol, Ethanol). The issue is not toxicity, but supposedly that the small amount of VOC in windshield washer fluid that ends up in the environment is going to make a measurable difference in ground level Ozone production.

In some counties during the winter it is legal to have up to 25% VOC content. At best this yields ~-10F freezing point, and that is using Methanol. Your auto supply is not allowed to sell this formula outside of the designated areas and one company that did received a hefty fine. You are not supposed to be able to buy high VOC formulas online and have it delivered outside of the designated areas. Your service center is also not allowed to fill your car with this formula outside of the designated areas. I guess when you go on a ski trip you are supposed to change your washer fluid once you get to your destination, or maybe you aren't supposed to drive anywhere.

#29 ·
Same here. I even emptied the washer fluid (by spraying it) in order to switch fluid and did not get the warning, so I’m highly confident it is an inop system on my car.

#28 ·
That looks like it says the 35 watt headlights include headlight washers. The diagram certainly shows a washer fluid level sensor. I read it quickly on a cellphone, but I don't think I saw words to the effect that the 25 watt headlights don't include a windshield washer fluid level sensor. Did I miss it?

#32 ·
#38 ·
In UpState SC, with a garage for our cars, there really isn't any opportunity for my washer fluid to freeze. So I just use the cheap blue "summer" fluid and add a teaspoon of windshield washer concentrate I buy at Home Depot, the same suds less concentrate I use to wash my home windows. In SC, I have more of a problem with bugs than ice.

As for a low light or not on my new Quad, for many years I pull each of our cars into the garage weekly and pull maintenance on them. Check tire pressures, fluids, check tires for nails and such, vacuum the car out. If I can't wash them, clean the windshields, dust the interior, de-trash them if necessary, and give a good look over them for things that looks out of place. If I can' wash them, at least wipe the hoods down with Black Fire detailer, and spray and wipe on some Black Fire sealant.

Since I got my first car, a TR4, I have always taken the best possible care of my cars. And they tend to look good and last a long time.

By the way, years ago I found if I used Rain X it worked well at first, but then my wipers would skip and chatter, so I don't use it anymore.

NAM VET

#39 ·
I just ran out on my morning commute during a snow. No warning light either, but the good news, I was able to put something in other than that extremely crappy stuff that came in the car. I really hope the recommended oil is better than the factory washer fluid. Nothing worse. I did have a problem unlatching the hood and was afraid of snapping a cable. Any thoughts on lube points since it could’ve been due to the cold and ice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.