Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, as the title states, I was looking for a 328i M-Sport and just out of curiosity, test drove a Giulia that a local dealer had on the lot. Needless to say, the test drive was fantastic, and since that time, I can't get the Giulia out of my mind! The car just feels so much better, so much more natural to drive, I love the interior so much more, the paddles and steering wheel are beautifully crafted, the sport seats looks superb, etc.... I've owned a lot of BMWs, but none of them have spoken to me like thw Giulia does. **** these Italians! How do they instill so much soul into a **** machine!
As with most, really my only concern is the Perceived reliability issues. Outside of this, I would have already purchased the car. I'm a car guy, do all of my own wrenching and know BMWs inside and out. I worry if the Giulia fails to get a foothold in the US, parts will be expensive and resale prices will plummet. It's the emotional vs logical battle, what do I do!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,444 Posts
Don't expect many here to try to talk you out of it. :)

I would only say make sure you are confident in the dealer to do warranty work (which, even with your wrenching skills, you should probably leave to factory-authorized folks). Because legalese.

And then, enjoy!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The cars just grab you. I’ve owned many Alfa’s over the years. Presently, one of my favorite’s is my ‘71 GTV. When the new Giulia’s hit the market, I was amazed on a test drive how the feel and drive of my ‘71 translated trough to this modern Alfa. It was kinda of weird, and so familiar. Beware, once you take a bite of the Alfa Romeo apple, regardless of maintainace or serivice issues, you may or may not have. It will be difficult to go back to a any thing else that drives like an Alfa Romeo in my option.. Sorry for the fan boy stuff..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good luck with whatever you decide. Maybe something to consider, there have been many Alfa’s sold since coming back to the states, owners that have had issues, some small/some not, get a lot of talk. Owners that did not have issues do not get discussed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
C'mon OP, you already know the answer - an enthusiast buys with their heart, not their head!

AND you'll be better for it. Car speaks to you...?! 'Nuff said!

Share pics & driving experience when you pic it up!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So, as the title states, I was looking for a 328i M-Sport and just out of curiosity, test drove a Giulia that a local dealer had on the lot. Needless to say, the test drive was fantastic, and since that time, I can't get the Giulia out of my mind! The car just feels so much better, so much more natural to drive, I love the interior so much more, the paddles and steering wheel are beautifully crafted, the sport seats looks superb, etc.... I've owned a lot of BMWs, but none of them have spoken to me like thw Giulia does. **** these Italians! How do they instill so much soul into a **** machine!
As with most, really my only concern is the Perceived reliability issues. Outside of this, I would have already purchased the car. I'm a car guy, do all of my own wrenching and know BMWs inside and out. I worry if the Giulia fails to get a foothold in the US, parts will be expensive and resale prices will plummet. It's the emotional vs logical battle, what do I do!
If you have found BMW's to be reliable, you won't be disappointed with the Giulia.....

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
796 Posts
Let Giulia Do the Talking

Yeah, sure. I had the willies too, last April 2017, when the cars hit our area. This new car was a crapshoot, and watching the love-hate fest fromt he early journalists, didn’t make me feel better. Here’s what did:

1) FCA, be they good or evil, provided a potential for service that didn’t exist during AR’s absence from North America. 100’s of service departments nationwide and in Canada. Some are even OK, and the Forum helps me find ‘em.
2) 4 year warranty, 50,000 miles on the big stuff
3) Lease. If it sucks or plummets in resale, NOT MY PROBLEM. Here are the keys FCA. Lotsa luck.

Big upside. The Giulia ROCKS! Some fiddling and software updates. No downtime. Pretty nice dealership with Giulia loaners and someday a Stelvio.

Every drive is a treat. With $2,500 upgrades, this thing smokes every 328/330/Jag V6/Audi A3/4 in its class. HUGE FANBOY AM I.

Join if you will, more Giulias for us, if you don’t.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your feedback. Are you leasing or buying? For reference I'm looking at buying a 2017 Giulia Ti with 5k miles, price is 30k.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback. Are you leasing or buying? For reference I'm looking at buying a 2017 Giulia Ti with 5k miles, price is 30k.
There’s a thread on lease vs buy, not sure there’s a right answer. Depends on your personal circumstances. I’d never lease, or finance, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I went from 2 bmw’s consecutively (a manual 325i and an auto 525i), to a new 2018 Giulia ti Sport just 2 Months ago. Like you, I did most of my own maintenance, things like brakes, valve cover, alternator rebuild, oil changes and so forth).

I was all set to start looking at new BMW models when I started seeing Giulia ads, YouTube videos and also checked into this Forum. I found the nearest AR dealer and went for a test drive. Once I had driven the Ti Sport for a few minutes, the rest was history. I had the same fears as you regarding reliability but as far as I can tell, this car will be fine. So far, I’m really happy with my new car and think it was the right decision. Another factor - I see lots of BMW’s in my area but have yet to see another Giulia. I like having a less common car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, as the title states, I was looking for a 328i M-Sport and just out of curiosity, test drove a Giulia that a local dealer had on the lot. Needless to say, the test drive was fantastic, and since that time, I can't get the Giulia out of my mind! The car just feels so much better, so much more natural to drive, I love the interior so much more, the paddles and steering wheel are beautifully crafted, the sport seats looks superb, etc.... I've owned a lot of BMWs, but none of them have spoken to me like thw Giulia does. **** these Italians! How do they instill so much soul into a **** machine! As with most, really my only concern is the Perceived reliability issues. Outside of this, I would have already purchased the car. I'm a car guy, do all of my own wrenching and know BMWs inside and out. I worry if the Giulia fails to get a foothold in the US, parts will be expensive and resale prices will plummet. It's the emotional vs logical battle, what do I do!
I bought an Alfa because I was tired of taking my BMW to the shop so much. After some initial problems (brakes/a loose electrical connection) my Quad has been a dream. Nothing but awesomeness since the last visit to the shop. 148 mph in a sanctioned race event, 12 runs of 138+ for 1/2 mile. Love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went from 2 bmw’s consecutively (a manual 325i and an auto 525i), to a new 2018 Giulia ti Sport just 2 Months ago. Like you, I did most of my own maintenance, things like brakes, valve cover, alternator rebuild, oil changes and so forth).

I was all set to start looking at new BMW models when I started seeing Giulia ads, YouTube videos and also checked into this Forum. I found the nearest AR dealer and went for a test drive. Once I had driven the Ti Sport for a few minutes, the rest was history. I had the same fears as you regarding reliability but as far as I can tell, this car will be fine. So far, I’m really happy with my new car and think it was the right decision. Another factor - I see lots of BMW’s in my area but have yet to see another Giulia. I like having a less common car.
Yup, I see BMWs all over the place, almost more common than a Honda Civic around here. I also feel like the new 3 series (F30) have worse build quality than the older ones (E90).

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you have found BMW's to be reliable, you won't be disappointed with the Giulia.....
I was sort of chuckling on the BMW reliable part. Same with Benz. Bottom line is none of these cars are cheap to fix. In warranty you want the authorized repairs done. Me personally I had a slight hesitancy about the Giulia Ti Sport but I came to terms with getting an 8 year warranty and 125,000 miles. Then a wrench sort of got thrown in there with my husband not being able to get the QV out of his head. Mind you this was a simple test drive. After that we shopped got the deal we thought was fair and the rest is history. Looking at the Stelvios now and if we win the lottery we would be the 4C. I have not had the reliability issues. So far has not been into the shop other than a flat tire. So I think the reliability thing is a bit of hype and over worked. There are a lot of Alfaficiondo’s that know the cars well and the forum is a wealth of information. My car which was puchased in March of this year is OMG the first Model Year must be a train wreck is ANYTHING BUT. I am actually not concerned about it suceeding. Not sure how many crossovers from other marquees it will see but we are very non specific and actually my husband didn’t want to spend big bucks on our neighbors twins which pretty much ruled out Tesla, Lexus, Audi, Benz, BMW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts