Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
1,238 Posts
I just went ahead and setup an appt to have the dealership go through the car and repair (if anything) whatever is covered under the original factory warranty.

I won't be going with any extended warranty.
Hey there!

If you happen to need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, our team is always available via private messages! Just let us know.

Thanks,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
406 Posts
I just went ahead and setup an appt to have the dealership go through the car and repair (if anything) whatever is covered under the original factory warranty.

I won't be going with any extended warranty.
My factory warranty runs out next month like yours. I have the MOPAR extended warranty for an additional year that I purchased when I bought the car. I had my car in the dealership last month and they told me that they could diagnose anything that came up during the multipoint inspection but beyond that they are required by FCA to wait for the customer to request diagnose of any problems outside of that scope so the "once over " wasn't really possible for me.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
With the factory warranty coming to an end in June I'm thinking of making an appointment at the dealership to see if they could go over the car and see if any items can be covered under warranty.

Has anyone else been through this and what's your advice?

TIA!!
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport AWD Misano Blue/Black Ice
71 Posts
I just went through this with my Q4 and have a couple of suggestions based on my experience.

The short background is that I took it in just before the std warranty expired with the same goal as yours. I got advice from the forum that allowed me to avoid the "outside the scan, FCA will only let us look for problems the customer identifies" response someone referenced above. So, my suggestions and reasoning....

Step 1: In addition to items you know need to be checked, get advice here on common issues for your year QV. With those in mind, you're going to need to report related issues/problems so that they can look specifically at them. (Ex: "I'm having problems with the Infotainment screen going blank occasionally. If I shut it down and turn it back on, it comes back." This should get them to apply any updates that are available so you're up to date as of your end of warranty. Otherwise, that's chargeable.)

Step 2: Create an electronic paper trail. Anything you're asking them to do, email it in advance, then go over it with the service writer. I had two things happen that made this important in my situation.
  • I had two occurrences of the Stop/Start message leading up to the service appointment. On the second, the car went in to limp mode for the afternoon. You probably know the S/S issue has a thousand sources, but according to those on here and the service manager, limp mode should have thrown a code they could check. They are telling me it didn't. If something happens in the near future that seems related (the battery fails, for example), I've got the issue documented as happening under warranty. At least I can make my case for why it should be covered.

• One of the items I asked them to check was the AC. While it was winter, I had made a note to have them check it at the end of summer when it didn't seem to be cooling properly. It was on my list. The day of my service, it was zero outside and the tech said they'd have a hard time checking it with the weather so cold. When I picked it up, I was told they didn't see a problem. Sure enough, when it hit 80 degrees, I was getting nothing but hot air. I took it back in (by this time it was in the low 40's again) and they were going to bill me for charging it. In addition, they noted there was a small amount of antifreeze on the radiator. They said with the temperature, they couldn't really do a thorough check with their equipment. And the AC issue was not on the service paperwork from the previous visit.

At this point, they've agreed to waive any charges for the AC service. I left the next day for a 3 week roadtrip (not in the Alfa), so when I get back it'll be plenty hot and I'm to let them know if the AC is working and we'll go from there.
The point of this long story is that if I hadn't documented everything on my end and been able to provide the email traffic, it's clear I'd be on the hook for at least the AC related items.

Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just went through this with my Q4 and have a couple of suggestions based on my experience.

The short background is that I took it in just before the std warranty expired with the same goal as yours. I got advice from the forum that allowed me to avoid the "outside the scan, FCA will only let us look for problems the customer identifies" response someone referenced above. So, my suggestions and reasoning....

Step 1: In addition to items you know need to be checked, get advice here on common issues for your year QV. With those in mind, you're going to need to report related issues/problems so that they can look specifically at them. (Ex: "I'm having problems with the Infotainment screen going blank occasionally. If I shut it down and turn it back on, it comes back." This should get them to apply any updates that are available so you're up to date as of your end of warranty. Otherwise, that's chargeable.)

Step 2: Create an electronic paper trail. Anything you're asking them to do, email it in advance, then go over it with the service writer. I had two things happen that made this important in my situation.
  • I had two occurrences of the Stop/Start message leading up to the service appointment. On the second, the car went in to limp mode for the afternoon. You probably know the S/S issue has a thousand sources, but according to those on here and the service manager, limp mode should have thrown a code they could check. They are telling me it didn't. If something happens in the near future that seems related (the battery fails, for example), I've got the issue documented as happening under warranty. At least I can make my case for why it should be covered.

• One of the items I asked them to check was the AC. While it was winter, I had made a note to have them check it at the end of summer when it didn't seem to be cooling properly. It was on my list. The day of my service, it was zero outside and the tech said they'd have a hard time checking it with the weather so cold. When I picked it up, I was told they didn't see a problem. Sure enough, when it hit 80 degrees, I was getting nothing but hot air. I took it back in (by this time it was in the low 40's again) and they were going to bill me for charging it. In addition, they noted there was a small amount of antifreeze on the radiator. They said with the temperature, they couldn't really do a thorough check with their equipment. And the AC issue was not on the service paperwork from the previous visit.

At this point, they've agreed to waive any charges for the AC service. I left the next day for a 3 week roadtrip (not in the Alfa), so when I get back it'll be plenty hot and I'm to let them know if the AC is working and we'll go from there.
The point of this long story is that if I hadn't documented everything on my end and been able to provide the email traffic, it's clear I'd be on the hook for at least the AC related items.

Hope all goes well!
You Sir are a legend! THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport AWD Misano Blue/Black Ice
71 Posts
You Sir are a legend! THANK YOU!!!
You're welcome. One last comment. I don't like playing these games, but it's their system and rules that require it for you to get full value from the warranty.

Have a good drive today!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey there!

If you happen to need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, our team is always available via private messages! Just let us know.

Thanks,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares
love your replies, please keep Alfa in the US for years to come!!!!!!

Ted

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey there!

Thanks,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares
Thanks, if they give me any pushback I'll PM you directly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts