Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a little interest in this event. Anyone in the DFW area want to go with me???? >:)

https://wannagofast.com/?post_type=event&p=8874

"SEE WHAT IT’S FINALLY LIKE TO RACE WITHOUT THE RESTRICTIONS OF SPEED LIMITS, ON WHAT IS BASICALLY YOUR OWN PRIVATE INTERSTATE IN DALLAS, TX!
Dallas ½ Mile Runway Shootout!! This incredible 2-DAY event will be held on April 14th & 15th, 2018 at the Historic Hensley Field in Dallas, TX. Located only 20 minutes outside of downtown Dallas! Come join us for 2 FULL DAYS of, side-by-side, HALF MILE racing at this rare and exclusive location. All of our participants will be given a chance to take their vehicle’s Top Speed down Hensley Field's 6000ft runway and race door-to-door against the competitor of their choice!! See what it’s finally like to race without the restrictions of speed limits, on what is basically your own private interstate in Dallas, TX!! This event is limited to only 150 cars per day and is sure to sell out quick!!"

1/2 mile strip racing, get into categories which match your car. $250/day, as many runs as time allows. Generally 150 cars per day.

I wonder what the Quad would get in a 1/2 mile sprint? 150? 155? I know in the "shootout" between the Quad, the M3, and the C63, the Quad ran a 20.3 second to 150mph, but I don't think they had a distance on there.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm looking at the rules.

"No passengers". . . okay. "Helmet". . . seems reasonable. "Cars over 199 MPH need a roll cage" . . . shouldn't be us. "pants required." Really?????? :surprise:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a Quad that did this one. Looks like around 142-ish is what I can expect. Although they messed up the HP info:

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (450 HP) 142.9900 142.0400

Wonder if there is anything I could do to add a couple MPH on there?
remove air filter?
of course trunk will be empty

Any other tips ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I am going to be out of the country that weekend unfortunately. But, straight line speed marginally interests me, I rather do HPDE track time.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Found a Quad that did this one. Looks like around 142-ish is what I can expect. Although they messed up the HP info:

remove air filter?

Any other tips ?
Its all about gearing, I am expecting a bit more from the QV My guess is 150

Tips: Reduce weight, fold in mirrors for less drag (maybe fractional) and get a good launch

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd enter in the 4-Dr category.

My top competition would be Hellcat, CTS-V, Panamera Turbo, M5, C63 - lots of fast cars!!

·
Registered
641 Posts

remove air filter?

Any other tips ?
Definitely practice your launch. You know this I'm sure, but:
Race mode
Hold the brakes
Rev to 2,000
Let 'er rip

·
Registered
641 Posts
At the end of the day its all about the WHP. You would probably place right below the CTSV
Sounds about right. On a moving start (about 40mph) against a new CTS-V, exactly equal all the way to 160mph. Thought he would pull away, but no.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Definitely practice your launch. You know this I'm sure, but:
Race mode
Hold the brakes
Rev to 2,000
Let 'er rip
I am not sure I would agree.........

In race mode you are going to have a lot of wheel spin (burn out, ask me how I know), I am guessing he is better off in D mode with the same protocol of holding the brakes and rev to 3000 then flat out......

Disclaimer, I have never drag raced anything, besides a challenger SRT during the SRT track day event, but I think when you have wheel spin you don't have traction, thus you don't go anywhere fast.......

I may be completely wrong, but that is my take on it......0:)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
if you are after times the launch counts, and sufficient tire spin so you are in the powerband is important. excessive spin is just that (AA fuelers aside). slicks on the back if you want to spend the money.
attained top speed is more a function of horsepower.
I do believe the easiest way to add horsepower for this situation is improving aerodynamics, and the easiest way to do that (maybe) is borrowing a different giulias front wheels.

of course you won't know for sure until you do multiple runs changing your variables.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am not sure I would agree.........

In race mode you are going to have a lot of wheel spin (burn out, ask me how I know), I am guessing he is better off in D mode with the same protocol of holding the brakes and rev to 3000 then flat out......

Disclaimer, I have never drag raced anything, besides a challenger SRT during the SRT track day event, but I think when you have wheel spin you don't have traction, thus you don't go anywhere fast.......

I may be completely wrong, but that is my take on it......0:)
No, I think I agree with you. I've always launched in Dynamic but for some reason I suggested Race above. After I wrote it I thought about the wheel spin...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
launch comparison, quads
I will theorize that the giulia gets the initial jump because it spins its tires and can be in the power - and then as it moves more into more power, that turns into a bit of a problem and the stelvio's AWD becomes an advantage.
of course at some point aerodynamics would be the bigger issue, along with final drive ratio.
and it could just be one vehicle is driven by the owner, and one by a cautious friend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I think I agree with you. I've always launched in Dynamic but for some reason I suggested Race above. After I wrote it I thought about the wheel spin...
But then after launch, immediately back to Race Mode for the transmission/shifting aggression advantage, right?

But do I want to switch also to manual shift after switching to Race Mode to hold the RPMs as high as possible for as long as possible before gear changes? Or just trust the computer in Race Mode to make the switch at the right time with the pedal on the floor?

This is a half mile run, after all!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd enter in the 4-Dr category.

My top competition would be Hellcat, CTS-V, Panamera Turbo, M5, C63 - lots of fast cars!!
At the end of the day its all about the WHP. You would probably place right below the CTSV
Some tough competition particularly when most showing up to the event are not stock. The Hellcat and CTS-V are easy rwhp bumps with a pulley change and tune. A friend’s CTS-V is running a whipple blower with meth inj and putting down 750 rwhp.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Some tough competition particularly when most showing up to the event are not stock. The Hellcat and CTS-V are easy rwhp bumps with a pulley change and tune. A friend’s CTS-V is running a whipple blower with meth inj and putting down 750 rwhp.

A member did 1/2 mile on FB Group and got 148 FWIW traction was hard because launch was on painted runway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts