Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what I drove yesterday. The black one is ats v with manual transmission. The white is the cts v. In a word or two both are excellent. Of course the cts is bonkers with 640 hp. It is a fabulous car that is let down only by its tranny. I can't fathom how someone signed off on the programming of this 8 speed auto. It takes at least 1/2 sec to respond to shift requests. The engine and chassis are world class. The ats v with the manual is tugging at my heart strings. Of course the engine is no where near as charismatic as the Quad, but it gets the job done. The interior gripes of all the car mag wieners are overstated. Also, the CUE system is fine. Anyone shopping these cars and placing excessive emphasis on these things don't see the world the same as I do. The chassis of this little car is truly amazing. So..............
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
Less charismatic engine and interior
No supercool forum such as this
I am truly on the fence again, and may reconsider the ATS V in white with carbon fiber pack, recaros, and manual transmission. Aaaaaaaiiiiiggghhhh! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Luxury vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Look what I drove yesterday. The black one is ats v with manual transmission. The white is the cts v. In a word or two both are excellent. Of course the cts is bonkers with 640 hp. It is a fabulous car that is let down only by its tranny. I can't fathom how someone signed off on the programming of this 8 speed auto. It takes at least 1/2 sec to respond to shift requests. The engine and chassis are world class. The ats v with the manual is tugging at my heart strings. Of course the engine is no where near as charismatic as the Quad, but it gets the job done. The interior gripes of all the car mag wieners are overstated. Also, the CUE system is fine. Anyone shopping these cars and placing excessive emphasis on these things don't see the world the same as I do. The chassis of this little car is truly amazing. So..............
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
I am truly on the fence again, and may reconsider the ATS V in white with carbon fiber pack, recaros, and manual transmission. Aaaaaaaiiiiiggghhhh! View attachment 13105
Those are both sexy cars! No matter what you go with, you'll go with it because YOU love it. I like the white one, but i may be partial to white because my Quadrifoglio is white.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
I am truly on the fence again, and may reconsider the ATS V in white with carbon fiber pack, recaros, and manual transmission. Aaaaaaaiiiiiggghhhh![iurl="http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13105&d=1498312647"]
[/iurl]
You forgot "dead-on sexiness" for the Q. Also much better track performance. Also rarity and admiring comments, also 0-60 and on.

The ATS is a nice car for sure. To me though, worth every cent extra over the ATS. If there was a nice ATS forum you'd probably hear otherwise I suppose.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
I am truly on the fence again, and may reconsider the ATS V in white with carbon fiber pack, recaros, and manual transmission. Aaaaaaaiiiiiggghhhh! View attachment 13105

Here's the rub...the CTS-V is over 100k when done...not sure what dealers are doing price wise but I'm not sure that they will knock it down to 85k which is where the Quad is all in w/taxes...I been able to drive both versions of the CTS-V..the one with the manual when they made it 556Hp and the new 640/640 auto....and the manual is where it is at in that car..and the new one is a bit heavier than the older version...so if you don't mind buying slightly used, the CTS-V manual is an amazing car...super Q-Ship.
the ATS-V left me lacking...and I drove it on the track as well as street, the big plus was the manual...and everything else was ok...the interior was just very montone for my taste, but the infotainment aspect is very solid GM stuff...the motor had that nice low rumble almost muscle car like...but when pushed (track) the ATS-V can't hold a candle to the Quad...the upside is dealers can't sell them so if you are willing to take something in stock...you will get yourself a fast competent car for a real good price.
all of what I said here is based on what I have seen here in the Tri-State area..as an asided I'm actually starting to see more CT-6 cars around which was also very nice..
Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
The ATS is more fun to drive than the CTS simply because it's smaller and lighter. The ATS is more like the Giulia than the CTS, which to me is an excellent tourer capable of storming the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
The ATS V will never get the attention that a QV does...not even close. The QV is also in another realm as far as looks go...it is that much better looking. The interior is also worlds apart...Alfa nailed it for the interior design!

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
If I had to buy a GM car right now it would HANDS DOWN be a brand new "Artic Blue Metallic" Camaro ZL1...
Though I've almost always had a soft spot for Corvettes, I think I'd get a Bolt.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Though I've almost always had a soft spot for Corvettes, I think I'd get a Bolt.
an electric car?..I will pretend you did not say that....
while it may be stereotypical...but I really enjoyed a nice drive in a Z06 Vert...brand new manual...an absolute hoot to drive...and a beast...they(GM) really answered the call on the interiors...no more plastic crap...

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
an electric car?..I will pretend you did not say that....
As a commuter, why not? I'd never have to buy gas, and it would suit perhaps 70% of my driving.

Have you ever driven an EV? The instant torque is amazing and the quiet is, well, nothing like the song of an Alfa Romeo.
while it may be stereotypical...but I really enjoyed a nice drive in a Z06 Vert...brand new manual...an absolute hoot to drive...and a beast...they(GM) really answered the call on the interiors...no more plastic crap...
A former neighbor worked on the Corvette's interior and was very proud of the result. He was also complimentary of GM management for finally realizing the importance of allocating the necessary funds.

I understand some Z06 owners are planning to take GM to court because of problems with their cars.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ats pros vs Quad.
Manual transmission
Less teething problems
Less dinero
Ats cons vs Quad
I think you should get the Caddy instead of the Q.......

That way maybe I'll get my MY18 Quadrifoglio sooner......:grin2:

Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: Chanosh

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
As a commuter, why not? I'd never have to buy gas, and it would suit perhaps 70% of my driving.

Have you ever driven an EV? The instant torque is amazing and the quiet is, well, nothing like the song of an Alfa Romeo.
A former neighbor worked on the Corvette's interior and was very proud of the result. He was also complimentary of GM management for finally realizing the importance of allocating the necessary funds.

I understand some Z06 owners are planning to take GM to court because of problems with their cars.
I drove a Tesla D model, my Doctor's son used to work for them (Tesla) and he begged me to go to the "studio" in the MALL!!:p so I went and drove one...yes they are impressive no doubt...but if I'm spending 100k (which is what the P model would cost thereabouts) I'm buying what I bought!..:grin2:

as far as the Vette, yes that is correct, not just Vette owner's but also Ford GT350-R owners...both are having serious overheating issues at the track..and they are not happy...with the Ford IIRC its the transmission that overheats...class action suits have been started

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
I drove a Tesla D model, my Doctor's son used to work for them (Tesla) and he begged me to go to the "studio" in the MALL!!:p so I went and drove one...yes they are impressive no doubt...but if I'm spending 100k (which is what the P model would cost thereabouts) I'm buying what I bought!..:grin2
Part of what impresses me about the Bolt is its value. Tesla? Not so much. I could have a Bolt, a Giulia, and a Fiat Spider for that kind of money. How many Telsa owners/lessors will admit to having gotten them to show off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Commentary here! I've had wandering eyes as well, before I make the plunge and the ATS-V is obviously on the list, so this helps!

I've already went and looked at a 2014 M5 (I know the M3 is more comparable), and the Shelby GT 350. Impressed there. I'll start my own post.... but it's great to narrate other options and experiences!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the rub...the CTS-V is over 100k when done...not sure what dealers are doing price wise but I'm not sure that they will knock it down to 85k which is where the Quad is all in w/taxes...I been able to drive both versions of the CTS-V..the one with the manual when they made it 556Hp and the new 640/640 auto....and the manual is where it is at in that car..and the new one is a bit heavier than the older version...so if you don't mind buying slightly used, the CTS-V manual is an amazing car...super Q-Ship.
the ATS-V left me lacking...and I drove it on the track as well as street, the big plus was the manual...and everything else was ok...the interior was just very montone for my taste, but the infotainment aspect is very solid GM stuff...the motor had that nice low rumble almost muscle car like...but when pushed (track) the ATS-V can't hold a candle to the Quad...the upside is dealers can't sell them so if you are willing to take something in stock...you will get yourself a fast competent car for a real good price.
all of what I said here is based on what I have seen here in the Tri-State area..as an asided I'm actually starting to see more CT-6 cars around which was also very nice..
Good luck with your decision
Thanks! Can you expand on how the caddy comes up short? I have only driven this one on a test drive and it had 7 miles on it. Anyone who has read other posts of mine know that I (correctly or incorrectly) believe in break in. I didn't jump on the ats v at all. Every review I have seen suggested that if all one cared about was performance, then the ats v might be their car. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I realize what the Nurburgring times say, but -truly -that level of performance is far from my reach.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Interesting thoughts here...but I really don't get comparing the Quad to any 2 door coupe....Apples vs Oranges....
As for driving an electric vehicle and never having to "buy gas"...where do these people get electricity for free ??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Interesting thoughts here...but I really don't get comparing the Quad to any 2 door coupe....Apples vs Oranges....
As for driving an electric vehicle and never having to "buy gas"...where do these people get electricity for free ??
And where does that electricity come from? Out here in the NW, we can act all smug with all of our water power; however, back east there is still a large dependence on coal for electricity.... Don't get me started. (Especially on the fact that my 26yr old Acura gets ~30-33mpg mixed driving. WOW, how far MPG tech has evolved since then - NOT!!)

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
ATS-V is available in a sedan...in fact it was introduced first as a sedan to compete with the M3

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Thanks! Can you expand on how the caddy comes up short? I have only driven this one on a test drive and it had 7 miles on it. Anyone who has read other posts of mine know that I (correctly or incorrectly) believe in break in. I didn't jump on the ats v at all. Every review I have seen suggested that if all one cared about was performance, then the ats v might be their car. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I realize what the Nurburgring times say, but -truly -that level of performance is far from my reach.
Sure I will do my best....first off the Ring times are just bragging rights that are short lived...no one is driving ANY high performance cars to the 10/10th's of their capacity because A: most of us are not good enough drivers(myself included) and where the **** you gonna drive like that on the public roads! That said:
Cadillac was the principle sponsor of MMC and it was there that I first drove the prior GEN CTS-V...manual...incredibly impressive...it was a 4dr ZO6 Corvette from the performance end and a plush German inside....the straight edge rule design was polarizing for some...subjective...I liked it...
Fast forward to last year, I was invited by Cadillac to drive the ATS-V...I drove the sedan not the coupe....and I used the CTS-V (556hp) as a measuring stick not for the performance aspect but for the ride, interior appointments, and functionality. That is where it came up short. It was just a gussied up ATS sedan, the interior was nondescript for me, rear seating was not very comfortable, ride was boarderline harsh. So I know its not apples to apples, but I felt that for the 70+k it would have cost me for the ATS-V, I would rather have the CTS-V. I did not cross shop the ATS-V with the Quad. I did consider it when I was not overly joyed with my F80 M3....but the M3 was just better than the ATS-V even though it gives up Hp.
So in a nutshell for the ATS-V: Exterior Styling was nice, I liked the rakish style, Interior: was a let down, almost an afterthought just stuff slapped together no style at all, seating was good, but not any better than the competition, rear seating was cramped, in/out could be an issue for some, rear seats were like old bench seats too firm; Performance: was very solid, power band nice, manual had nice quick throws, the ride/handling was also good until really pushed kind of like the C63, brakes were good also though at the end of the day they were shot.
Good Luck in your search!
Regards
M

1 - 20 of 38 Posts