Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Voice Commands have you found to be the most useful? What key words do you use to activate the desired function? I found Navigation by voice is just as slow as manually entering the destination. It is not like Siri where you just say, "Directions to Grand Canyon." And the route is set, all you have to do is push GO. Or maybe I'm not using the proper key word to enter the correct mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The Nav voice commands are definitely not as intuitive as they should be. I rarely use it out of frustration.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doesn't Navigate to <streetname>, <cityname> work for you?

For example I say "Navigate to Savile Row, London". The car asks me if I want to give it a house number or "start route guidance", I reply "start route guidance". The car asks me If I really want to start route guidance. I say "yes" and off we go.

Apart from that the only other voice command I use is Tune <stationname>.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't Navigate to <streetname>, <cityname> work for you?

For example I say "Navigate to Savile Row, London". The car asks me if I want to give it a house number or "start route guidance", I reply "start route guidance". The car asks me If I really want to start route guidance. I say "yes" and off we go.

Apart from that the only other voice command I use is Tune <stationname>.

Cutterbuck, thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. The system only understands certain and particular Key Words or phrases, "Navigate to..." and "Tune....." to make it work. I would like to compile a list of key words to be able to talk to Giulia as she has her own secret vocabulary.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts
I wonder where this phrase would tell it to take me.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I was having problems with my Nav for weeks. Every time I gave voice command, it would respond with an address on "Cort" street in Oregon. Not great since I live in Chicago. It was maddening.
Then on Saturday I felt like aggravating myself again so I pressed the voice command button and merely said, "Destination" and then spoke my address. Like magic, it responded with the correct address and said, "Start route guidance?"
No explanation for why it was stuck in Oregon and no explanation for why it worked simply by saying "Destination."

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've gotten quite good at "add station to favorites" since they get deleted so often.
@ChiGuy , I have found that if you go to Nav, choose destination entry (where you'd type everything in) and then say "enter street address" the voice commands will walk you through entry. And, if it gets confused it'll provide secondary matches that you can choose from. I've had just about 100% success with the step by step. In fact, after the 3rd attempt it'll ask you to spell it (great for street named San Felipe, or Tuam, or other "foreign" sounding streets). On the "Destination ...address" from any other screen I have like a 10% chance.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I shall not be defeated!

@ChiGuy , I have found that if you go to Nav, choose destination entry (where you'd type everything in) and then say "enter street address" the voice commands will walk you through entry.
Up to this recent time, I always did "Navigation", "Destination", and then spoke the address. It is a complete mysterywhy it kept defaulting to Cort Street in Oregon. My Giulia must have a boyfriend there, because she sure was hung up on getting me to Portland.
I have to try it again where I skip the "Navigation" step entirely and just go straight to "Destination" to see if it was a fluke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know I’ve had good luck with “Navigate Home” and a few other basic commands, but it’s my wife’s primary driver so I don’t get to mess with it much.

BUT...

How the heck do you use voice commands to go to a particular SiriusXM station? In my BMWs, it’s always been as easy as “Sirius channel thirty eight” and BOOM! It’s there. But I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do that in the Giulia. The example the car gives me is “Say station name, for example BBC”. (All I can say is I hope they mean British Broadcasting Corporation). But I can’t find out how to just go to Sirius 25 or 38 or 125 or whatever directly. Anyone have any insight??? I’ve tried “Tune to satellite three eight”, “Tune to Sirius 38”, “Tune to Hair Nation” and any other combinations. No love...

Suggestions? If it matters, I’m not from Texas. :grin2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've gotten quite good at "add station to favorites" since they get deleted so often.
@ChiGuy , I have found that if you go to Nav, choose destination entry (where you'd type everything in) and then say "enter street address" the voice commands will walk you through entry. And, if it gets confused it'll provide secondary matches that you can choose from. I've had just about 100% success with the step by step. In fact, after the 3rd attempt it'll ask you to spell it (great for street named San Felipe, or Tuam, or other "foreign" sounding streets). On the "Destination ...address" from any other screen I have like a 10% chance.
Thanks for this. My Giulia isn't very good at recognizing my "Bahstin" accent, even though I told Miss-Direction that my background, like hers, is 100% Italian. I once stumbled onto the State-City-Street-Number prompt sequence and haven't been able to figure out how to get there again. Now I know how - and I agree it works very well. Now if I can only get her to recognize "Find Starbucks", like Google Maps can, I'd be really happy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was having problems with my Nav for weeks. Every time I gave voice command, it would respond with an address on "Cort" street in Oregon. Not great since I live in Chicago. It was maddening.
Then on Saturday I felt like aggravating myself again so I pressed the voice command button and merely said, "Destination" and then spoke my address. Like magic, it responded with the correct address and said, "Start route guidance?"
No explanation for why it was stuck in Oregon and no explanation for why it worked simply by saying "Destination."
Maybe the car was telling you that you need to have some time away for a bit? Or better, your destiny is in Oregon that your car is trying desperately to get you to go.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,901 Posts
The built in voice reco does not work for me. Nav tries to send me half way across the country most of the time. The google/AA voice reco works perfectly...

Maybe a British accent is needed to make the built in voice reco work?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.