Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Voice activation for navigation system for Giulia

6K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  watchit999 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Giulia Q4 Ti with sport/perf and the manual use of my navigation system is easy and works great but I cannot figure out how to activate it by voice control. it gives strange answers when I ask it to enter directions. I asked my service guy and he said to activate it and when it prompts you tell it "enter new destination" but that didn't work either. It's not that big a deal but sometimes it's useful. If anybody has figured this out please let me know your secret. I promise I won't tell anyone.

#2 · (Edited)
I just push the voice activation button on the steering wheel (while in the Navigation screen), and when it makes an audible tone, I say “navigate”, followed by the full address (street number, street, city, state). Works pretty flawlessly.

Download this for more information—

Also, what Infotainment SW level are you running? I know this works with .055 and .059, can’t remember if I ever tried with .043.

#6 · (Edited)
i see the virus has infected America ...

the story so far ... in the beginning ... early 2017 cars came without voice activated navigation 002.007.028

a software update 002.009.047 introduced us early adopters to the wonderful world of voice guided navigation ... and for a brief moment we all felt like Captain Kirk ... "Mr Sulu, set course for Alfa Giulia constellation" ... "aye aye Captain" ... would come the eager and excited reply ... and we were all guided all around the galaxy boldly going where no machine had gone before ...

then a new software update 002.009.055 improved nothing, added nothing, but one alarming side effect was that it killed our Utopian voice navigation ( some call it Folding Space, but thats another universe )

a quick return to Starfleet Headquarters for a replacement head unit seemed to be the only fix

this was all in Terra Australis, and as yet no confirmed reports of lost travellers from the United Terror Nova or United Klingondom surfaced

... until now ...

your problem could be ...

a) ... you could have a very early spaceship and have been on mission for so long it has not been updated to even .047 to ever have enabled voice control
or
b) ... somewhere along your journey software was updated which killed it

you could check your software version for us so we can investigate further but most likely your software has never been updated

Kirk, out ...

#7 ·
As you wish captain but I'm not exactly sure where to find such software information as requested. I will need to explore further but so far what Wingler suggested has not worked for me and as for Shpuncik, I am of Italian ancestry you don't think I tried that. I threw so many hand gestures along with assorted choice words in English and Italian at it I felt sorry for it at the end, but alas...NO CAPISH!

#13 ·
I have no idea what sort of updates may do or fail to do, but my sales rep told me to press momentarily the button, and in a few seconds the screen prompts me to say my choice, and I say "navigate to." Seems to work well, although it doesn't seem to understand general destinations, like such and such mall, it wants a specific address. My Quad is a mid '18 year car.

NV

#15 ·
I have no idea what sort of updates may do or fail to do, but my sales rep told me to press momentarily the button, and in a few seconds the screen prompts me to say my choice, and I say "navigate to." Seems to work well, although it doesn't seem to understand general destinations, like such and such mall, it wants a specific address. My Quad is a mid '18 year car.

NV

My rep said something like that too but didn't work for me. I think my current version is way past due. Mine is an early Ti Q4

#27 ·
AN UPDATE: Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it; and if it ain't "completely" broke don't fix it.

Took my car in to get the latest and greatest software update to get my voice activation for the NAV working and (two days and a six hour download later) now the NAV doesn't work at all. They have an engineering request into Alfa in Detroit to see what needs to be done next. So I told them I'll pick the car up and you let me know when somebody knows something about my thing. And so it goes.

#28 ·
yep, ya never know what you're going to get. Good luck.

#32 ·
Certain updates on 17s erased maps and they could not be reloaded, happened to me and dealer mentioned every 4th 17 car had to have radio replaced with new radio unit, dealer might be clueless....happened to number of members here

your car will be perfect when they replace the unit and reload SW and maps, takes couple of hours

#33 ·
Thanks everyone I think you're all correct and it will be fine but I just find it funny that when you believe "well this should be easy" Murphy's law always seems to play a part. Getting Apple Play would be great but I'm not holding my breath on that. Also I think you're correct about updating the map and all will be fine because when I access the NAV program it says download the latest version of maps so I will PM you on that. Also I will be in touch with Alfa not to bitch about this problem but to give them holy hell for allowing Auto Nation to have the Alfa and Fiat dealership in the first place. It's mainly a Hyundai dealership and little care is given to the Alfa end. It is not good and Alfa needs to have an owner who really understands the brand and gives it the care and advertising they deserve. I love the mechanic there, he's top drawer all the way, but he's really the one and only person there and he's doing it all. We have another dealership in Denver and they do it right but it's not very close to where I live but it is an option.

#34 ·
Thanks everyone I think you're all correct and it will be fine but I just find it funny that when you believe "well this should be easy" Murphy's law always seems to play a part. Getting Apple Play would be great but I'm not holding my breath on that. Also I think you're correct about updating the map and all will be fine because when I access the NAV program it says download the latest version of maps so I will PM you on that. ....
For some background info, see also :
Infotainment updates

#39 ·
Okay, scratch that. Things have gotten weird. At first I had voice activation of NAV but today no go, also had 7 presets now have 5, noticed a few upgrades in the time placement and date that no longer exist. Taking it in next week and I think "Lowflyer" might be right I need a new radio or head unit or something before downloading new soltware and maps. My car is an early '17 and my tech said that's probably the case. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.