Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What Borla resonator did you use?
I used Borla part 401338. It ended up actually being a bit larger (width) than the OEM resonator which is already a pretty straight through design. So not sure if I helped myself or hurt myself there, volume-wise. Only time will tell. I'll probably be posting a separate thread soon with some pictures/part numbers.

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
I'm curious what the inside looks like. If you could get some photos of the inside from the inlet and one of the outlets that would be awesome. It's it a stressing through perforated pipe? Does it dump into a set of chambers? I know @Ryan... Indicated you could see through it, but that could be either of those options.
Its straight from the inlet into a wide v shaped... air guide for lack of a better word, and straight out the outlets. Here's a pic from one of the outlets. Sorry I didn't take more, too excited.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,858 Posts
Its straight from the inlet into a wide v shaped... air guide for lack of a better word, and straight out the outlets. Here's a pic from one of the outlets. Sorry I didn't take more, too excited.
So the inlet is coming from the right? That looks perfect. I want better sound, but what I really want is better flow. This may be the ticket!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this topic, especially @Ryan... of course for making it. It's all really great information for those who like their neighbors.

Reactions: Ryan...

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
So the inlet is coming from the right? That looks perfect. I want better sound, but what I really want is better flow. This may be the ticket!!

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this topic, especially @Ryan... of course for making it. It's all really great information for those who like their neighbors.
Sorry, was typing from muffler shop pre coffee lol. Center inlet as Ryan describes, and low key deflector to route exit gases to side exits. Very free flowing at a glance.

Ryan's review on sound is also spot on. At first drive it is on the verge of being too quiet, but there is a present but in no way intrusive low freq thrum at lower rev ranges. I would describe it as pleasant, but very different (tone, not volume) from stock already.

Mid range to redline I would describe as a low to moderate growl all the way up. It really does sound OEM+. Not even as loud as the stock Mas Ghibli they were moving in the showroom while I was signing.

Looking forward to break in, as these all do imo, but I will say my fav part thus far is the "shifting" of all exhaust frequencies a few notches lower. This enables you to hear turbo spool and the slow winding down of the compressor blades much much easier. Its my favorite thing. If downpipes weren't such a PITA on these a high flow dp would be next to make spool up and down even louder.

I'm in Central Jersey near Princeton. If anyone wants to grab a coffee and shoot the shit and hear this just lmk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
. It really does sound OEM+.
I really think this is the best way to describe it, OEM+.

It sort of reminds of the BMW "performance" factory exhausts you can buy for $1800 or whatever crazy price they throw on their non-M cars, so you can call it an M235i or whatever. Could pass as just a really nice sounding OEM exhaust, not an aftermarket universal muffler.

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
Are you planning at some point to try to address the 2x crimps near the rear axle? I'm on the fence about it. I forgot which vendor it was but I think someone makes just a resonated front pipe? If not it'd have to be custom from the cat back with prob. another vibrant resonator.

Just not sure how much we can really do behind the downpipe/cat for $ spent. That being said, based on the other user's very informative stock muffler deconstruction/mod post - surely what we did here results in better exit flow.

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
It’s broken in and sounds better, but now I have the low rpm boomy resonance that is common when outlet pipes are too short, which imo they are.

I’ll see if I can get it addressed tomorrow AM. Not a big deal, bc if I’m at that rpm range I’m not spooling, and you know what they say:

A.B.S - Always be Spoolin’

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That sucks to hear about the resonance, what RPM range are you hearing it at? I was playing around with low RPM driving last night on my way to work, no music, windows up/down, and couldn't find any noticeable resonance.

I should have taken pics of my install so we could see if the installs look the same. I know many people on the forum had mentioned that outlet pipes not extending far enough into the exhaust tips created unwanted noises.

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
It was 1.5-1.8k cruising around 40-50 in top gear. Similar to some other accounts by owners of Remus, and other systems. Fixed it with having the shop remove the fake exhaust trim and welding on a set of discreet slash cut tips a tiny bit past the rear valence.

Resonance and boom is completely gone - and for kicks I had them remove the resonator as well. Still no drone, still quiet tbh - right at OEM performance exhaust / muffler levels from other makes, and 100% happy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It was 1.5-1.8k cruising around 40-50 in top gear. Similar to some other accounts by owners of Remus, and other systems. Fixed it with having the shop remove the fake exhaust trim and welding on a set of discreet slash cut tips a tiny bit past the rear valence.

Resonance and boom is completely gone - and for kicks I had them remove the resonator as well. Still no drone, still really quiet tbh, and 100% happy.
I had the same issue with my custom set up and installing actual tips to clear the diffuser solved that completely to the point that the system was now too quiet inside the cabin for my taste.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Resonance and boom is completely gone - and for kicks I had them remove the resonator as well. Still no drone, still quiet tbh - right at OEM performance exhaust / muffler levels from other makes, and 100% happy.
Do you think removing the resonator made it any louder? I've been thinking about that as an option for if I ever feel like I need more noise..

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
Do you think removing the resonator made it any louder? I've been thinking about that as an option for if I ever feel like I need more noise..
It didn't add any more low bass frequency volume, but it did add more mid level growl and a more volume with throttle yeah. Cold start sounded the same to me.

I felt it didn't sound...italian enough. Its just a big freaking muffler at the end of the day. Still no drone!

If i get around to making clips I will post here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts