Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have another exhaust thread!

Some may remember that I had a muffler delete done to my car in the recent past. It sounded nice while driving around town, but either I've gotten older, or my exhaust was different than other muffler deletes... My cold start up was LOUD. Shake the house loud. I leave for work at 9:45 PM every night and I got sick of waking up the wife and my neighbors trying to pull out of my garage.

Drone was LOUD between 1300-1900 RPM, which put me basically right at highway speeds, where I spend over an hour each day on my commute. Long story short, it had to go.

Enter, the Vibrant Performance 10633 muffler. It's a "straight through" muffler in the sense you can look from one end straight out the other, with baffling on the sides for exhaust gases to pass through.

It installs in the OEM location but will obviously need new hangers and pipes leading to your OEM tips. Total cost of install for me was $180, and it took a little over an hour.

First impression:

1. Warm start up was very quiet. It sounded OEM. Honestly I was disappointed. It did sound a little better under hard acceleration, a little better downshift noise than OEM, but not much.
2. Cold start sounded good right away, but then it would quiet down again.
3. NO DRONE
4. I can finally hear my BMS intake over the exhaust now, which makes me extremely happy as I love induction noises.

100-150 miles later:

1. The exhaust sounds much better now! I don't know if there's a "break in" period for mufflers, but this one certainly seemed to have one!
2. Cold start still sounds good, still not shaking the house. Wife is happy. Neighbors are happy. I'm happy.
3. NO DRONE
4. Down shift noises are much better than OEM, acceleration is better but not obnoxious.

It really feels like the perfect DD exhaust if you care about your neighbors and drone :)

Cold start video:

(turn volume up, my phone mic isn't the greatest)

Acceleration and drive-by:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any other clips you can share ?
The driveby was from today that I grabbed on my way to visit family. I'll try to find a quieter place without traffic nearby, hopefully my camera will be able to pick it up a bit better!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are adults sleeping at 9:45PM? :p

Nice work.
Strange, I know :D

On one hand it's nice having cool neighbors, on the other hand, liking loud cars and motorcycles kind of puts me in a tough spot at times.I'm sure on quiet nights you can hear my Harley from miles away (not that I'm ripping on it, sound just travels crazy far out here).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is perfect. Exactly the tone and db level I was looking for. Thanks for posting the clips!
Glad I could help! It seems most exhausts for these cars are just variants of muffler/resonator deletes, or aftermarket mufflers for $600+.

For me this seems like a great DD option for under $400

·
Super Moderator
2,858 Posts
Agreed. Its got an OEM+ sound to it, probably not even as loud as an Abarth 500. I ordered mine from Amazon already, haha.
I'm curious what the inside looks like. If you could get some photos of the inside from the inlet and one of the outlets that would be awesome. Is it just passing through a straight perforated pipe? Does it dump into a set of chambers, but is generally straight though? I know @Ryan... Indicated you could see through it, but that could be either of those options.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds pretty close to mine right now. I'm currently running the vibrant ultra quiet resonators on 3" full cat back (switching back up to the vibrant bottle resonators soon again).
That sounds nice as well! So do you have the Vibrant resonator in place of the OEM resonator, then straight pipes back to the tips?

·
Registered
241 Posts
That sounds nice as well! So do you have the Vibrant resonator in place of the OEM resonator, then straight pipes back to the tips?
No I went 3" straight pipe and two separate 3" resonators after the Y section. I just installed quad tips on now and it's now too quiet inside the cabin fir me so I will be going back to my original set up of their bottle resonators instead. I'll try to take new video with current resonators and quad tips before I change it up again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I went 3" straight pipe and two separate 3" resonators after the Y section. I just installed quad tips on now and it's now too quiet inside the cabin fir me so I will be going back to my original set up of their bottle resonators instead. I'll try to take new video with current resonators and quad tips before I change it up again.
Gotcha, that does sound like a nice setup. Seems similar to what Supersprint offers with the dual mini cans near the tips.

·
Registered
20 Ti
32 Posts
I'm curious what the inside looks like. If you could get some photos of the inside from the inlet and one of the outlets that would be awesome. It's it a stressing through perforated pipe? Does it dump into a set of chambers? I know @Ryan... Indicated you could see through it, but that could be either of those options.
No problem. I get it either Thursday or Friday, will post pics once I do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gotcha, that does sound like a nice setup. Seems similar to what Supersprint offers with the dual mini cans near the tips.
Yeah very similar. I can't say if it sounds like the SS since I've never heard it in person. But from videos, yours seems to be the closest thing to mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This gives me some hope for my recent install! I did my own take on the Centerline Stradale exhaust with a Borla resonator and rear muffler but it's only marginally louder than stock. Fingers crossed my setup opens up a bit as I put some miles on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts