Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today between Bronxville and Tuckahoe NY on a slow stretch with like 20-25mph road where they also are doing lots of what looks like drainage work with what must be 200 ft total of those big 4x8 steel plates covering trenches in progress, or at least that’s my best guess. I was on a 50ft stretch of it covering an entire lane about to come to a light when the collision avoidance alarm sounded and slammed the brakes on well in advance of where I was going to stop at the light. The odd thing was there wasn’t a car anywhere in front of me, and luckily not in back either. Best guess I could make was there were some large bolts and with
differing layers of steel plate offering a sharp reflective radar signature the car’s systems got a return signal? Not sure but was kinda shocking. Anyone else heard of such a thing happening to anyone else? Ive attached a photo of a nearby part of what it looked like, the exact spot was hard to capture without me getting into an accident but it was a similar stretch with lots of steel plate etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Never happened to me, but I am sure it was an eye opening experience....
Your steel plate reflective return signal to the car's system theory sounds valid to me........ what else could have caused it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
That one-inch vertical hard steel edge on those plates has to be very radar reflective. I go with your theory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Sometimes with speed bumps too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Happens to me with one particular speed bump in a lot where I park my car. It's a small speed bump right after I scan in. I need to be going at snail pace; otherwise, collision avoidance kicks in and hard breaks. Caught me off guard the first few times and I thought the sensor was obstructed or dirty. Nope. I can recreate it with that one speed bump almost every time. Doesn't happen to other bumps that are bigger. Not sure why that particular speed bump is an issue.

There's another Ti Sport that parks in the same lot as I do. Trying to see if I can catch him one day and ask if s/he is having the same issue.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Another perfect example of why I have the auto-brake turned off.

Yesterday I noticed that the rear cross traffic alarm sounds identical to the forward collision alarm. The first "not a false alarm" that I have gotten (backing out of a parking spot). A combination of Giulia's bad rearward visibility and a driver speeding in a parking lot. Can that also activate the brakes?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another perfect example of why I have the auto-brake turned off.
I turned my auto-brake off after a similar incident as OP, but it turns back on after every start-up. Pretty annoying. Do you turn it off every time you're in the car or does yours stay off?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
FCW is only for forward moving/sensing and with a 4 mph minimum.

Cross traffic does not have auto-brake functionality. I will say it works quite well, better than my wife’s Lexus...but the Lexus will brake too., when it finally triggers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It would be nice if it shut off once it detects the driver applying the brake. Then you could tap it to shut it off. I get the situation where I am applying brake and then auto-brakes energizes and applies even more which is annoying.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
It would be nice if it shut off once it detects the driver applying the brake. Then you could tap it to shut it off. I get the situation where I am applying brake and then auto-brakes energizes and applies even more which is annoying.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
It’s supposed to, I believe, and I think mine does. I’ll get the honking warning if I’m runnin’ up too fast on a car in front, but if I’m covering the brakes at all, it won’t auto-brake.

Just this morning on the way to school, I had this happen as I “split” a line between a car making a right turn in front of me and another in the center turn lane making a left. I’ve been in other situations of similar speed/distance to car ahead in which the braking has activated, so I’m pretty sure having a little pressure on the brake pedal overrides auto-brake.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I turned my auto-brake off after a similar incident as OP, but it turns back on after every start-up. Pretty annoying. Do you turn it off every time you're in the car or does yours stay off?
In settings it says that alarm and brake is selected, even though I have not observed any braking when I got an alarm.

On a related point, if you lift the side of the car cover up, climb in and try to look through settings the car will not allow it. It just blasts the parking alarms and displays the parking alert graphic with no action allowing an override <sigh>.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Weird, someone posted a document from the NHTSA studying collision avoidance systems and it specificity mentioned steel trench plates as a problem for all the systems. Not sure where the post went or maybe why the poster deleted it but I won’t mention the name because he may have had reasons but it’s good to confirm this is a technological issue, not an Alfa Romeo one so much. I figured they are just buying modules from a 3rd party, all the in-car displays kinda look alike too. It isn’t s big deal but I do know to be a little more careful on trench plates...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Tailgaters beware. I wonder whether automated braking systems will lead to more rear-enders, with vehicles so-equipped being on the receiving end.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Weird, someone posted a document from the NHTSA studying collision avoidance systems and it specificity mentioned steel trench plates as a problem for all the systems. Not sure where the post went or maybe why the poster deleted it but I won’t mention the name because he may have had reasons but it’s good to confirm this is a technological issue, not an Alfa Romeo one so much. I figured they are just buying modules from a 3rd party, all the in-car displays kinda look alike too. It isn’t s big deal but I do know to be a little more careful on trench plates...
It was 1 false positive crash imminent braking episode for 1 model in ‘14:

“CIB false positives were observed with the Acura MDX during 1 of 8 steel trench plate
(STP) tests performed from 25 mph (40 km/h).”

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d...014automaticemergencybrakingtesttrackeval.pdf

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was 1 false positive crash imminent braking episode for 1 model in ‘14:

“CIB false positives were observed with the Acura MDX during 1 of 8 steel trench plate
(STP) tests performed from 25 mph (40 km/h).”

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d...014automaticemergencybrakingtesttrackeval.pdf
The MDX was the only vehicle that had a 100% reproducible false positive to the trench plate but all cars tested had some false reaction to it. I’ve driven over those plates half a dozen times and this was the only time the QV reacted.

Object in Roadway – Steel Trench Plate Scenario
The Object in Roadway – Steel Trench Plate scenario was capable of activating the FCW of each test vehicle equipped with a radar-only system, and since there was no actual threat presented to the subject vehicle, each activation was categorized as an FCW false positive. Ten percent of the trials per test speed performed with the Mercedes E350 (multiple radars) produced an FCW false positive. For the Ford Explorer and Acura MDX, 100 percent of the test trials produced FCW false positives regardless of test speed. Both of these vehicles were equipped with single radar-based systems.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I think you are right. Heavy rain can jam the system too, causing it to shutdown until the rain clears. System throws a light but car drives fine. I have had the braking system kick in at odd times, probably due to closing speeds. Also, those plates took a chuck out of the front lip on my 348 a month before the kid clobbered me. I dismounted and remounted it myself. Had the local Ferarri associated collision shop handle it. They re-glassed and resprayed, it. V-ing out all the cracks and it came out well. I screwed up the shims when I remounted it the first time and took it off again to fix it. It was just a question of which came first, metal or rubber. But I fixed it and it worked. Bumper snapped in half and crumple zone crumpled. The car saved my life but those steel plates can still jump up and take a bite out of you.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The MDX was the only vehicle that had a 100% reproducible false positive to the trench plate but all cars tested had some false reaction to it. I’ve driven over those plates half a dozen times and this was the only time the QV reacted.
As the terms CIB and FCW suggest, those are two different types of reactions. CIB refers to brake activation, and FCW to audible warning. As I read it, the MDX was the only car to activate auto-braking, on 1 of its 8 STP tests.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tailgaters beware. I wonder whether automated braking systems will lead to more rear-enders, with vehicles so-equipped being on the receiving end.
I am so glad I don't have this collision prevention nanny on my QV. It's simply not ready for prime time. Not on Alfa, not on any other car built today, IMHO.

I have a 2017 Mercedes with an anti-collision warning system. Fortunately, it is a warning system only — it does not touch the brakes (same as with the lane departure system that does not try to tug the steering wheel in the direction it thinks is right). Both systems throw so many false positives it bewilders me how the whole thing got approved into production in the first place!

And I'm not even talking how hilariously confused these systems become even in a slightly inclement conditions. First time I drove my Mercedes in light snow it really made me laugh. Seriously, I wouldn't want any of these electronic half-idiots touch my car controls. Ever.

I think all these systems do is instill a false sense of safety. Recent fatal Tesla crashes to wit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As the terms CIB and FCW suggest, those are two different types of reactions. CIB refers to brake activation, and FCW to audible warning. As I read it, the MDX was the only car to activate auto-braking, on 1 of its 8 STP tests.
I think you maybe correct. It looks like they leased a single 1” plate for testing. Where my QV activated there were many many plates with exposed edges and lots of huge bolts and strips of steel plate welded so lot and lots of hard reflective surfaces and I plan to avoid driving over any more plates if I can help it!

Well you can set the sensitivity lower and insurance premiums are considerably lower having the systems installed so there’s at least that benefit...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can you set braking to off but alerting to on? After reading this , I do not trust using this feature especially on a busy highway with trucks/cars driving far too close to each other. And after reading these forums, I'm less trust worthy of having my kids in the Alfa due to other 'issues' I read in here but half of me imagines if I read other forums I'll see all the things that COULD go wrong for other cars and the other half of me doesn't car as the Alfa is such a fine vehicle. I sorta gave up buying an Alfa because I cant find what I want and as an Audi that I liked fell into my lap via a local dealer trade but its starting to look like that Audi trade isn't happening and I may still be in the market for an new Alfa. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts