Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is up with the air circulation in this vehicle? In temperatures below 40, the vehicle constantly fogs up even while the heater is turned on. However, with the climate control on Auto, it does clear the condensation on the windows up a bit, but not all of it. It still impedes with my vision when trying to make turns or change lanes. What's frustrating is that the window defroster only sets to the highest temperature which can make the cabin unbearably hot. As soon as I turn the fan speed down or adjust the air temp, it deactivates the window defrosters and the cabin will start fogging up again. This is the first car I've ever owned to do this.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
My car seems to want to switch to recirculate frequently. I have the optional air quality control option, maybe it is malfunctioning or it doesn't like the stink that surrounds the outside of the vehicle? Anyway, I just push the recirculate button until it has no lights on, then the fogging disappears pretty much immediately.

Someday I'll check what left light, right light and no light on the recirculate control mean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn’t drive my Ti a whole lot this past week winter but I noticed the same issue with mine when driving it on a warmer Feb day. With two other people in the car it seemed to get worse. I didn’t know if the extreme heat from the defroster was worse or the frosted windows. Thankfully I do most of my driving in the spring,summer, and fall but it still would be nice to have clear visibility on cooler days without having to play games with the ac/heat

·
Registered
256 Posts
ME TOO!!!! It is driving me crazy. I know another poster here mentioned that his Tech fixed it, but he wasn’t sure what they did.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Yeah, I think it is a design problem, as I had the same thing too. When it rains I have to turn the front defogger, but that means hot air. After three minutes the system stops and it is fine for another 5 minutes before it starts to fog up again. I also find that the blower motor is weak. Not just in my own car, but every loaner I had so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ME TOO!!!! It is driving me crazy. I know another poster here mentioned that his Tech fixed it, but he wasn’t sure what they did.
Can you find out who it was? It would definitely help a lot of us on here. Not to make things seem dramatic but the fogging is quite dangerous...it is extremely difficult to see out the windows.

A design flaw/imperfection is probably it. Makes me question how the engineers were able to conduct their testing in the cold with this, and then allowed this issue to be green-lighted for production.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you don't want the heat with the front defroster, why can't you just run the system in manual mode - RECIRC off, AC on, temp at lowest setting, and manual air flow control set to the top setting for air to the windshield. I forget now what my BMW does in "defrost" mode, if its always hot air. For regular defogging, in AUTO mode the AC is always engaged in the car (summer and winter) so dehumidified air is always present in the cockpit, which keeps the windows clear.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can you find out who it was? It would definitely help a lot of us on here. Not to make things seem dramatic but the fogging is quite dangerous...it is extremely difficult to see out the windows.

A design flaw/imperfection is probably it. Makes me question how the engineers were able to conduct their testing in the cold with this, and then allowed this issue to be green-lighted for production.

See the below link... it’s the fourth response.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/985-alfa-romeo-giulia-ti/32353-resolved-steering-wheel-squeak.html

The HVAC continues onto the second page.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you don't want the heat with the front defroster, why can't you just run the system in manual mode - RECIRC off, AC on, temp at lowest setting, and manual air flow control set to the top setting for air to the windshield. I forget now what my BMW does in "defrost" mode, if its always hot air. For regular defogging, in AUTO mode the AC is always engaged in the car (summer and winter) so dehumidified air is always present in the cockpit, which keeps the windows clear.
If I don’t run the defrost, I have to have the AC on, otherwise the windows all fog up instantly. It turns into a Goldie locks issue - the defrost runs hot air only, but it’s not warm enough outside to comfortably use the AC. Too cold for the AC but too warm to run the defrost with the auto high heat.

Also, do others notice when you do use your AC that there is a really humid and obvious smell?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As the post stated, even when Auto is on, meaning I’ve tried all settings....the windows still fog up. At the top setting, the air is still not strong enough to clear the windshield. If all three (top, mid and low vents) are activated, the air is now weaker due to the distribution. If only the top vents are activated for the windshield, now all the windows will fog up even worse.

I’ve actually just transitioned to the Giulia from a 4-series, and never had this issue when running HVAC with all three vents turned on. The HVAC system for the Giulia is also extremely noisy compared to the 4-series.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
As the post stated, even when Auto is on, meaning I’ve tried all settings....the windows still fog up. At the top setting, the air is still not strong enough to clear the windshield. If all three (top, mid and low vents) are activated, the air is now weaker due to the distribution. If only the top vents are activated for the windshield, now all the windows will fog up even worse.

I’ve actually just transitioned to the Giulia from a 4-series, and never had this issue when running HVAC with all three vents turned on. The HVAC system for the Giulia is also extremely noisy compared to the 4-series.
The problem appears to be that the auto-recirculate feature is too eager to switch to recirculate. Switch it off (no lights on) and you are unlikely to have fogging problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I understand. But what I am trying to tell you is, in a BMW (just for a point of comparison) - the "AC" is illuminated in AUTO, 365 days a year. You never turn it off. The temperature of the air produced has nothing to do with its humidity, in a BMW the HVAC is always dehumidifying, summer and winter. This is also what keeps condensation from forming in the ducts, which causes odors in the system. In AUTO on this car, is AC always illuminated? So the fan is noisy? Well, I guess they need a better fan motor then.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You guys need to have your cars checked....most users here have no problem and I do not see any design flaws here either...for most part HVaC works exactly like on every other BMW or audi i have owned in the past, I also never ever had any fogging issues, AC always on regardless of season, it is automatic for a reason...no recirculation... .furthermore HVAC unit is probably supplied to Alfa from same source as to Audi or BMw, just like 3/4 of other components in the car are

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
I understand. But what I am trying to tell you is, in a BMW (just for a point of comparison) - the "AC" is illuminated in AUTO, 365 days a year. You never turn it off. The temperature of the air produced has nothing to do with its humidity, in a BMW the HVAC is always dehumidifying, summer and winter. This is also what keeps condensation from forming in the ducts, which causes odors in the system. In AUTO on this car, is AC always illuminated? So the fan is noisy? Well, I guess they need a better fan motor then.
Running the air conditioner costs fuel and since cars must comply with fuel economy goals few mfgs are going to want to run the A/C when it is unnecessary.

Humid air is both harder to heat and harder to cool, and the temperature that feels comfortable is different at different humidity levels. Thus the action of the system should vary with humidity, especially when it is warm.

That said, I would not be surprised if my car has a malfunction that is causing the HVAC to switch to recirculate. I also have problems with the interior getting rather warm when it is cold outside. It is not high on my priority list to get fixed, especially given some of the nightmare stories posted here about the car being stuck in dealer service for months at a time.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Hmmm, 5 hour drive tonight with plenty of time to fiddle with the HVAC controls. In my case I think it is "operator error". Specifically if I touch the fan speed control the HVAC jumps out of auto mode and stays out of auto mode until the "AUTO" button is pushed.

I suspect that if the HVAC was on recirculate when it jumped out of auto mode, it will stay on recirculate until it is told to do otherwise.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hmmm, 5 hour drive tonight with plenty of time to fiddle with the HVAC controls. In my case I think it is "operator error". Specifically if I touch the fan speed control the HVAC jumps out of auto mode and stays out of auto mode until the "AUTO" button is pushed.
Yes, that's normal. If it's on full auto, and you manually change one of the parameters (fan speed, recirc, vents etc) the climatecontrol will control all parameters in order to attempt to achieve required temp, except the one you changed manually, until you again press the auto button.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, I think it is a design problem, as I had the same thing too. When it rains I have to turn the front defogger, but that means hot air. After three minutes the system stops and it is fine for another 5 minutes before it starts to fog up again. I also find that the blower motor is weak. Not just in my own car, but every loaner I had so far.
In modern cars defogging is usually done with air conditioning, not heat. Air conditioned air is very dry and clears fogging well. As was mentioned in the video, pushing the recirculate button turns off the air conditioned air to the windshield when defogging is on. So by pressing "recirculate" you are turning off the most effective defogging method.

I'd suggest forgetting about trying to force hot air to the windshield and give the Auto setting a chance to clear it with the air conditioning. In other words, keep "recirculate" off whenever defogging is on.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts