Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there's any way to vent the sunroof without opening the sunshade?
It would be really nice to be able to vent the hundred twenty degree heat without letting the sun heat up the inside and the seats.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I don’t believe there is, and I can imagine buffeting ripping up that thin piece of fabric pretty easily.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it'll look pretty sexy as an Italian sports sedan, with a piece of cardboard shoved up there. ?

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio, Sport, Vesuvio Grey on Red
50 Posts
Just wondering if there's any way to vent the sunroof without opening the sunshade?
It would be really nice to be able to vent the hundred twenty degree heat without letting the sun heat up the inside and the seats.
Thanks, I had the same question. I turned in a 2015 GTI for my Giulia, and it had the feature. You could vent the sunroof with the "silk" shade pulled. Although I must admit the VW material/shade was heavier gauge and sturdy.

But no regrets. Love my Giulia.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,439 Posts
I can't think of any car that does what you wish.

·
Registered
316 Posts
After owning two Volvos that did this great thing I was bothered by the same issue. I solved the problem by cutting a piece of fabric the size of the sunroof window and gluing it to the bottom of the glass with some spray glue. I chose an opaque fabric, but you could chose one that lets some light in.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Thanks, I had the same question. I turned in a 2015 GTI for my Giulia, and it had the feature. You could vent the sunroof with the "silk" shade pulled. Although I must admit the VW material/shade was heavier gauge and sturdy.

But no regrets. Love my Giulia.[/QUOTE

Had the same functionality in my Jetta as well as my mini. Alfa customer service says no go and suggested it was to prevent wind blowing out the shade at speed. Just rented a Volvo S90 while on a trip and it could vent the car by typing open the glass and only opening the shade about one inch.

This is a very useful feature and one of main reasons got sunroofs. Now it's actually a negative because the glass heats the car even more!!

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
After owning two Volvos that did this great thing I was bothered by the same issue. I solved the problem by cutting a piece of fabric the size of the sunroof window and gluing it to the bottom of the glass with some spray glue. I chose an opaque fabric, but you could chose one that lets some light in.
Please show us a picture of what you did...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I've had cars that would tilt the sunroof over a rigid sunshade when it was partially retracted, but I'd like to know how air is managed over a thin, floppy, fabric sunshade when the sunroof is tilted/vented. I had presumed it was one of the limitations of panoramic sunroofs (because the shade has to retract into a roll, rather than as a sliding panel), but if Volvo and Land Rover are doing it, I'd be curious to know how they're making it work.

The thing I want to see is a rear sunroof open! That'd be super cool, IMO!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had cars that would tilt the sunroof over a rigid sunshade when it was partially retracted, but I'd like to know how air is managed over a thin, floppy, fabric sunshade when the sunroof is tilted/vented. I had presumed it was one of the limitations of panoramic sunroofs (because the shade has to retract into a roll, rather than as a sliding panel), but if Volvo and Land Rover are doing it, I'd be curious to know how they're making it work.

The thing I want to see is a rear sunroof open! That'd be super cool, IMO!
In my Volvos the sliding shade part moves back a couple of inches when the sun roof is in vent position.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
In my Volvos the sliding shade part moves back a couple of inches when the sun roof is in vent position.
Are your Volvos panoramic sunroofs? Are the sliding shade parts just fabric or rigid panels? Do the sliding shade parts roll up to open, or does the panel slide out of the way?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are your Volvos panoramic sunroofs? Are the sliding shade parts just fabric or rigid panels? Do the sliding shade parts roll up to open, or does the panel slide out of the way?
One is panorama, the other isn't.
One is a hard panel, the other is fabric (panaorama)
One slides back as a panel, the other rolls up (panorama)

The Volvo panorama works the same as the Alfa except that it covers the entire panorama glass and not just the front part of the glass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't think of any car that does what you wish.
My MB E320 has several louvers in the sunshade. You can vent the sunroof and leave the sunshade closed. The louvers allow the hot air to vent up and out without allowing sunlight in. It is a handy feature when you’re certain there will be no rain and you need park in the open.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
One is panorama, the other isn't.
One is a hard panel, the other is fabric (panaorama)
One slides back as a panel, the other rolls up (panorama)

The Volvo panorama works the same as the Alfa except that it covers the entire panorama glass and not just the front part of the glass.
So on the panoramic w/ fabric shade (which is like the Alfa, but bigger), when you vent/tilt the sunroof, what does the fabric shade do? Does it stay in place, retract, or what?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
It slides back about two inches.
Ok, thanks for all the info.

I guess buffeting isn’t necessarily as problematic for thin fabric shades as I presumed.

It would be nice to have the feature, I agree, although I will say that between the IR windscreen and the window tint I had installed, the car remained cooler while parked on these early 90° days, even without being vented, than I expected.

Nonwrheless, I don’t like the overhead sun beating on my head directly while I do love airflow, so vent + shade would be nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts