Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished my V1 radar detector install a few days ago. Many moons ago, I had a V1 with a concealed display in a 2001 S4 and loved it, and had been waiting for the right car to come along to do it again.

I’m using the following V1 accessories:
- SAVVY (the OBD plug that automutes below a certain speed)
- BoB (brown out booster, so the V1 doesn’t restart when the engine kicks back in after auto stop/start)
- Concealed display

I mounted the detector high up on the passenger side next to the rear view mirror. Pulling down the passenger visor will block the rear sensor of the detector, and will touch the detector if you push it forward enough, but I rarely have passengers during my commute.

Ran the wire across the headliner down the drivers side A pillar to the side panel that’s exposed when you open the door (the panel is held in with clips: pop it open and there’s plenty of room inside for all the wiring). BoB lives inside that panel, along with one end of SAVVY. The other end of SAVVY plugs into OBD and provides power.

The concealed display is quite deep as it’s designed to mount on the end of the cigarette lighter power adapter, but it’s mostly empty space. I cut it down to about half the depth, and stuck it to the top left side of the infotainment screen (there’s plenty of dead space since the infotainment display is much smaller). Ran the wire across the top of the steering column (under the “leather” cover), then up behind the right side of the cluster.

It’s all personal preference (so I appreciate that others may think this is ridiculous), but I love this setup. Detector display is easily visible to driver, but the detector itself doesn’t block driver visibility.

Questions/comments welcome!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Finally finished my V1 radar detector install a few days ago. Many moons ago, I had a V1 with a concealed display in a 2001 S4 and loved it, and had been waiting for the right car to come along to do it again.

I’m using the following V1 accessories:
- SAVVY (the OBD plug that automutes below a certain speed)
- BoB (brown out booster, so the V1 doesn’t restart when the engine kicks back in after auto stop/start)
- Concealed display

I mounted the detector high up on the passenger side next to the rear view mirror. Pulling down the passenger visor will block the rear sensor of the detector, and will touch the detector if you push it forward enough, but I rarely have passengers during my commute.

Ran the wire across the headliner down the drivers side A pillar to the side panel that’s exposed when you open the door (the panel is held in with clips: pop it open and there’s plenty of room inside for all the wiring). BoB lives inside that panel, along with one end of SAVVY. The other end of SAVVY plugs into OBD and provides power.

The concealed display is quite deep as it’s designed to mount on the end of the cigarette lighter power adapter, but it’s mostly empty space. I cut it down to about half the depth, and stuck it to the top left side of the infotainment screen (there’s plenty of dead space since the infotainment display is much smaller). Ran the wire across the top of the steering column (under the “leather” cover), then up behind the right side of the cluster.

It’s all personal preference (so I appreciate that others may think this is ridiculous), but I love this setup. Detector display is easily visible to driver, but the detector itself doesn’t block driver visibility.

Questions/comments welcome!

Sorry to bump an old post but that looks great! Did you look into tapping power from the mirror? That's what I've done previously and would prefer to do if I could.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to bump an old post but that looks great! Did you look into tapping power from the mirror? That's what I've done previously and would prefer to do if I could.

Hey Bender, no apologies needed! I remember seeing a few other posts with detailed instructions on how to tap the mirror power: looks really straight forward.

With the concealed display, I would have had to source power from elsewhere anyway since there isn’t enough room in the mirror housing for the splitter. This is also why I like the SAVVY, because it sources power from the OBD port, and uses the speed reading to automute.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add to this thread that the concealed display has an added advantage: it has a mute button on it. So with the display mounted to the top right of the infotainment screen, it’s quick and easy to mute alerts, and it’s solidly mounted. It’s a gripe I didn’t realize I had with the mute button on the V1: it requires a decent amount of pressure to click, which can often result in inadvertently moving the detector itself within its windshield mount, adjusting the volume, or both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine all wired last night. Realized my Blendmount from my last car won't work after I screwed around with it for an hour!

New Blendmount should be here tomorrow and I'll be good to go!

Nice! Post pics when you get it done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts