Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a recall on the My Alfa app. In a nutshell when the ACC is activated under certain circumstances and the traction control detects wheel slip, it is possible for a positive torque request to be locked by the BSM which could result in unintended acceleration. It's a software update but it is still a pain.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I'm going for the trifecta, UB9, V27, and ?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I'm going for the trifecta, UB9, V27, and ?
U76? UA4?

As luck would have it I finally got time to install my EC P1 tune, and now I have to revert it for this recall <sigh>.

The P1 download into the car took 40 minutes (EC says 20 minutes) and drove my phone totally nuts (maybe related to the slow download?). OTOH, I only had to do one set of 3 revs to the redline for calibration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lockem,
How's your Kestrel? I worked for them from '02-'04.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Had it applied this morning and haven’t been thrusted uncontorably into another vehicle yet. So, I guess all’s good.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
V27 Recall, NHTSA Recall # 19V-148, March 1, 2019

"In certain circumstances while ACC is active and the traction control detects a specific wheel slip, it is possible for a positive torque request to be locked by the BSM which may result in unexpected acceleration. If the driver does not shift to neutral or apply the brakes to stop the vehicle this condition can cause a vehicle crash with prior warning."

Install time 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the reason I haven't bought the EC Tune. Every couple of months it seems like another software update.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The good news is our cars can be updated for things like this. The EC tune is so good, it's worth the hassle of having to go through the reflash every once in awhile.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Lockem,
How's your Kestrel? I worked for them from '02-'04.
Way off topic, but...
It's a nice, underrated bike. I previously had a 1991 Kestrel 200 EMS (it got doored, breaking the top tube). The fit and finish of the Talon SL is better although I like the styling and color of the 200EMS more. The one positive side to destroying the 200EMS is that I could justify buying a different size frame, which fits me better.

I while the 200EMS was obviously made in Watsonville, I was told that my Talon was made in China. Do you know? There is no indication on the frame.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't have to get the updates. Besides, afaict this recall only involves reflashing the BCM.
You would have to tell them not to look for updates which throws up a red flag.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Aren't you risking warranty issues with the ECU tune? The exhaust mod doesn't cause issues but I was told by the dealership that installed the controller to wait until your warranty is expired for the ECU tuning.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aren't you risking warranty issues with the ECU tune? The exhaust mod doesn't cause issues but I was told by the dealership that installed the controller to wait until your warranty is expired for the ECU tuning.
That is why you un-install it before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Way off topic, but...
It's a nice, underrated bike. I previously had a 1991 Kestrel 200 EMS (it got doored, breaking the top tube). The fit and finish of the Talon SL is better although I like the styling and color of the 200EMS more. The one positive side to destroying the 200EMS is that I could justify buying a different size frame, which fits me better.

I while the 200EMS was obviously made in Watsonville, I was told that my Talon was made in China. Do you know? There is no indication on the frame.
We were still mfg the frames in Watsonville in '02, but were beginning to source in China by '04.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That is why you un-install it before going to the dealer.
Uninstalling the tune is done so the factory update can be done properly without messing anything up. My dealer knows I have a tune. The mechanic is an Alfa enthusiast (he bought a Giulia for his wife) and we talk about mods and stuff whenever I pick my car up. He's a cool guy, so there's nothing under-handed or deceptive going on by reflashing the ECU back to stock. It's for the purpose of properly doing the update procedure(s). Once factory updates have been done, you re-scan your ECU and send that to Toby at Eurocompulsion, and he updates your tune accordingly. There's no charge for that. I can't speak for piggy back units or other companies and their products, but I can tell you that Eurocompulsion is terrific at supporting their customers.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I know all about it. The dealer is cool with it until a major warranty repair is needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts