Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a Giulia and wondering how useful owners on here have found one or both of the driver's assist packages?

I tried the blind spot monitoring on a Chevy and really liked it so am tempted by the static package on the Giulia which has it. I have no experience with the features in the dynamic package - forward collision warning and lane departure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shopping for a Giulia and wondering how useful owners on here have found one or both of the driver's assist packages?

I tried the blind spot monitoring on a Chevy and really liked it so am tempted by the static package on the Giulia which has it. I have no experience with the features in the dynamic package - forward collision warning and lane departure.
Blind spot monitoring: not very useful, the car has very good side visibility and the warning light is puny. I find myself never paying attention to it.

Lane departure warning: useless as a five legged dog. Very annoying, had to turn it off.

Cross traffic detection: mildly useful when backing out in a parking lot, but not a must.

Forward collision warning: somewhat useful. It's actually pretty smart and does not go off only because it sees a car close in front, it considers your speed, his speed, and whether your foot is on the brake, etc.

Radar cruise control: Fun to play with for a few days, then you forget you even have it.

In a nutshell, if I did not have them, I would not miss them in any way.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Another thing to consider... your insurance company may charge you more to insure your car. I know it seems backwards because on paper, the car will be safer with all these preemptive systems. But all these gadgets are very costly to repair and replace in the event of an accident. Even a small hit in the bumper may damage all the sensors and radar mounted in the front fascia.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the static package and like it a lot. The blind spot detection is not intrusive but there if you need it and I park at a place where backing up is hazardous with blind views out onto the road and the cross traffic detection works great.

Do I need both features? Probably not, but it does provide a couple more ways to keep the family safe.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Lane departure is good for a laugh the first time passengers hear the "wah, wah, wah".

I like adaptive cruise and use it on long drives.

Cross traffic augments the rear-facing camera.

I'm still on the fence about the car braking on its own.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I find the blind spot monitor helpful since I don't think the car has very good side visibility. I still need to physically locate the object in my blind spot but it helps. I still think a small convex mirror is a better option.

I also find the cross traffic detection is quite useful. Didn't even know I had it until it went off the other day and I'm glad it did because I didn't see the car coming and he was coming fast.

I don't have the other options

·
Registered
249 Posts
I actually like all of them. They aren't that disruptive to my driving style so it's not a big deal. I haven't used the adaptive cruise yet so I need to test that out soon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the static and like it. I only wanted the dynamic for the infrared windshield...but I can do this after market.

I'd actually say the blindspot monitoring is important on this car - the B-pillar is massive and it blocks my ability to easily see.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My Ins gives discounts for the safety features.
Previous car had Blind spot monitoring, got use to using it.
Lane departure warning when on long trips on highway.
Radar cruise control, great feature
Cross traffic detection, great when backing up (between large SUV's and pickup trucks you can't see till halfway backed out).
Forward collision warning came on once when I looked away, I braked don't know if it helped me or not since I was panic braking.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like the blind spot monitoring because, go figure, I drive this car very aggressively and it's nice to be able to see the light in the mirror letting em know someone is there. Cross traffic sensor is also nice, IMO, because there are times when I am parked between two much taller vehicles and I can't see what's coming and the back-up camera doesn't have the oncoming vehicle in it's view yet. Auto braking scared the **** out of me first time it went on...but as others have said, it is not an intrusive system and doesn't come on just because you are too close to the car in front of you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have blind spot monitoring as well and although I like the visual, I really wish it would beep or make some sort of sound. It is silent, but the orange light is bright enough to let you know there's something there.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
210 Posts
I have them all and have them all enabled. I have found that adaptive cruise control works well for me when I'm commuting or on longer than average drive. Could I do without them, sure, but they came as a package with the performance package that I wanted, so I took the deal. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
420 Posts

I have all of them. I use all of them. I like all of them. They are well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Another thing to consider... your insurance company may charge you more to insure your car. I know it seems backwards because on paper, the car will be safer with all these preemptive systems. But all these gadgets are very costly to repair and replace in the event of an accident. Even a small hit in the bumper may damage all the sensors and radar mounted in the front fascia.
Nuts! This is the only reason I ordered them. Ah well.

Reactions: ibehardnock2001

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My Ins gives discounts for the safety features.
Previous car had Blind spot monitoring, got use to using it.
Lane departure warning when on long trips on highway.
Radar cruise control, great feature
Cross traffic detection, great when backing up (between large SUV's and pickup trucks you can't see till halfway backed out).
Forward collision warning came on once when I looked away, I braked don't know if it helped me or not since I was panic braking.
Whew! I'm glad to hear this. ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Actually, false in many cases. I asked Amica to quote a base Giulia with a price of $42k and no safety adds vs a base Giulia with static/dynamic/parking at a price of $48k. The result was the more expensive car with the safety features was $60 a year cheaper to insure.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Actually, false in many cases. I asked Amica to quote a base Giulia with a price of $42k and no safety adds vs a base Giulia with static/dynamic/parking at a price of $48k. The result was the more expensive car with the safety features was $60 a year cheaper to insure.
Which is why my comment stated that an insurance company "may" charge more for cars equipped with additional, expensive driver assist technology because, quite simply, it will cost a lot more to replace in the event of an accident. All markets are different and all companies have different policies but overall, it is an industry wide epidemic of increased premiums because cars overall are becoming more complex and increasingly more expensive to fix.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts