Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my rear fog lights for the first time today. It was raining heavy in Miami. Wow they are bright! Two powerful lights in the rear. You should not have any issues being seen in low visibility conditions.

Its a crying shame that the U.S. does not mandate manufacturers to have rear fog lights. Its non existent feature in domestic brands. In Miami, we get torrential rain and you cannot see 10 feet in front of you sometimes. So people now drive with their hazards lights flashing which is illegal and also dangerous. The behavior has spread like wild fire. You see EVERYONE driving with the hazard lights on and the police do not ticket anyone for driving like this. Unfortunately, the turn signals are disabled when the hazard lights are active so its impossible to signal your intention in changing lanes preemptively. Not that anyone uses turn signals to begin with but you get my point. :p

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Used my rear fog lights for the first time today. It was raining heavy in Miami. Wow they are bright! Two powerful lights in the rear. You should not have any issues being seen in low visibility conditions.

Its a crying shame that the U.S. does not mandate manufacturers to have rear fog lights. Its non existent feature in domestic brands. In Miami, we get torrential rain and you cannot see 10 feet in front of you sometimes. So people now drive with their hazards lights flashing which is illegal and also dangerous. The behavior has spread like wild fire. You see EVERYONE driving with the hazard lights on and the police do not ticket anyone for driving like this. Unfortunately, the turn signals are disabled when the hazard lights are active so its impossible to signal your intention in changing lanes preemptively. Not that anyone uses turn signals to begin with but you get my point. :p
Was it just one, or both sides?
I seem to remember that it was Volvo that first used rear fog lights. Both sides illuminated. Then, other makes had the lights. Then, at some point in the late 90s, some of them only provided for a left side rear fog light.
Made no sense to me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup both sides! Very bright. I agree, I had a 2004 Mercedes CLK which had 1 rear fog light on the left.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
Both my Chrysler 300s had dual rear fog lamps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Was it just one, or both sides?
I seem to remember that it was Volvo that first used rear fog lights. Both sides illuminated. Then, other makes had the lights. Then, at some point in the late 90s, some of them only provided for a left side rear fog light.
Made no sense to me.
The idea behind one side only is to reduce confusion of the fog lights looking like brake lights.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
A simple sign should suffice.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, I've never understood the US version of fog lights. I was happy to see the rear ones. Volvo always had a similar approach and I always thought it made more sense.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
A simple sign should suffice.

"Tower, November seven five seven Bravo Quebec requesting take off runway two four... Roger seven five seven 'Barbecue,' you're cleared for take off runway two four. Winds are five at heading two zero five, altimeter two niner niner two. Good day" :D

A punk Cessna is more expensive to run than a Quad, only four cylinders, and has absolutely no style. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK col. Did not know the Giulia had that - need to figure our where the switch is. The dealer did not mention that today when I picked it up. On to the manual!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi John,

Just press the headlight button (instead of turning it) to activate the rear fog lights. Your headlights must be on for them to turn on. You will then see an amber colored fog light symbol in your dash screen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi John,

Just press the headlight button (instead of turning it) to activate the rear fog lights. Your headlights must be on for them to turn on. You will then see an amber colored fog light symbol in your dash screen.
Oh beautiful! Thank you for telling me! I do plan to send this evening reading the manual!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi John,

This whole time I thought that button did nothing because I never saw any additional light coming from the front. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
This whole time I thought that button did nothing because I never saw any additional light coming from the front. Thanks!
Your headlights actually have to be illuminated for the rear fog lights to come on. There is an amber indicator that comes up in the speedo display that indicates that the rear fog lights in operation. So if you are in "auto" mode and the storm starts clearing ahead -- your lights will turn off as will the rear fog lights.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi John,

OK cool, I see it! I kept expectiing it was a white light like on my Audi rear fogs but it is a bright red light.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I don't think so. It's to save money. Reverse light one side, fog the other. Many cars have both on each side and are better for it.
Beg to differ....don't really save money...still have two lights....The point was to make it clear that it wasn't the brake lights....I had two XC 60's and they both had a single fog light in the rear...My 1991 164 S has two inboard (relative to the brake and turn signals) fog lights.....The high mounted third brake light was federally regulated so that the car two cars behind you could see you brake....In Europe if you brake suddenly and aggressively the hazards simultaneously flash with your brake lights illuminating....Don't know if US Spec Giulias do this....MacGeek ?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
OK cool, I see it! I kept expectiing it was a white light like on my Audi rear fogs but it is a bright red light.
Johnny....check that ...the only white tail light is a reverse light....all fog lights are bright red....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Johnny....check that ...the only white tail light is a reverse light....all fog lights are bright red....
OK, will check it on my Adui Q3. Thanks for the clarification!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts