Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual in my 2017 Giulia Ti states the oil specification as "9.55535–GS1.” I have not yet found a source for this specification oil in the United States. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The manual in my 2017 Giulia Ti states the oil specification as "9.55535–GS1.” I have not yet found a source for this specification oil in the United States. Any suggestions?
Dealers have to order Penzoil that meets standards. I am not a fan of penzoil but that is what is recommended so need to follow it for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Was able to find this at local Napa auto parts here in PA. It's a full synthetic 0W30 which is what the 2.0l Ti engine asks for but I can't match any of the specification numbers in the back to the Alfa Manual. I would feel comfortable using this but it's not exactly the Penzoil brand Alfa is asking for.
Apologies for the rotated images.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Still digging on specs but no longer feel comfortable with this oil. It's got a ACEA rating of A1/B1 which appears to be lighter duty than AR wants for the multi air engine at ACEA C2. And after reading up on the remarkable multi air technology I can see why AR is picky about the oil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Still digging on specs but no longer feel comfortable with this oil. It's got a ACEA rating of A1/B1 which appears to be lighter duty than AR wants for the multi air engine at ACEA C2. And after reading up on the remarkable multi air technology I can see why AR is picky about the oil.
How about Amsoil 0W-30?

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled passenger cars and light trucks. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

0W-30 (AZO): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Chrysler MS-6395; GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M) Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1 sulfated ash specifications.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think I have done all the digging and reading I'm going to do on this. The conclusion I have come to is the oil AR is recommending really is different. It probably really does matter and I'm not prepared to bet the turbo charger, catalytic converter or awesomely ambitious variable inlet value timing mechanism will work just as well using something else.

But I can't find a US source for Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX SAE 0W-30 which is where this thread started. The good news is that it appears its not just Giulia owners that are keen to get their hands on it so it should become easier to get over time.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Miscellaneous background info I found

A number of manufacturers including FCA have their own testing standards which may well exceed the standard bodies ones.
The oil AR is asking for in the Giulia is one of the very latest most sophisticated oils out there.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...ro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

From https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

"The ACEA C oils are Catalyst compatible
C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high
performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils
with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel
economy.
Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt."

SAPS : Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur
DPF : Diesel Particulate Filter
TWC : Three way catalyst
HTHS : High temperature / High shear rate viscosity

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Anyone a member of BobistheOilGuy.com that can ask the compatibility question?

My un-expert guess is that GF5 somehow translates into the Alfa Romeo oil specification. Though, my Italian is not so good ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Isn't oil covered by Alfa for the warranty period? Makes me wonder what oil the dealers are using.
I will find out this week when I go get an early oil change at my expense...I just hit 1500 miles on my 2.0 Turbo Giulia.

They better have the right Penzoil or I will make the dealership source it for me.

·
Vendor
3,565 Posts
I will be stocking Selènia DigiteK 0W40 and Selènia DigiteK Pure Energy 0W30, not in for a bit maybe a few weeks.
If you are interested contact me via IM. I am trying hard to have the correct products for the giulia available. But for now, I have Fuchs Titan GT1 SAE 0w-30 Premium Performance Engine Oil (9.55535–GS1).

By the way don't fret over this fiat spec.
The Fiat 9.55535–GS1 and 9.55535–GS1 specifications are shared with VW 504.00/507.00. I carry AGIP which is an Alfa approved oil and was factory for a long long time. Eni i-Sint Tech 0w30. It has approvals for VW 503.00/506.00/506.01, and ACEA A5/B5-04.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts