Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to fix upside down photos. They look fine when viewing on windows 10 but when I upload to a post, they are upside down. Rotating on windows doesn't change anything. I guess this is because they were taken on an iphone with the volume buttons up, but there must be a way to fix that orientation information in the jpeg.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I was going to suggest Australia too but make sure you save the image after you rotate it. Check it by closing it and reopening. If all else fails good old M$ Paint will do the trick

·
Registered
473 Posts
On your desktop you will need a photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop. Or on your iphone you can probably download a photo editing app for a small amount of money (or maybe free).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On your desktop you will need a photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop. Or on your iphone you can probably download a photo editing app for a small amount of money (or maybe free).
I don't have photoshop. Is there any free software that will do this? Most that I've tried just change the orientation metadata in the jpeg file. They don't actually rotate the image in the file. I guess that the forum software doesn't recognise the orientation metadata when importing photos.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paint does and that's free on Win10. Use the select tool>right click>rotate
I tried that and it didn't work. When the photo is loaded into paint, it appears right side up. I tried rotating it so that it appears upside down and then uploading to the forum and it still appears upside down in the post. Same with the original photo.

·
Administrator
506 Posts
Hey there

Most pictures these days come straight off our phones. The phones software embeds some coding in to each image when it is taken. This code tells the phone which way is 'up' and displays it correctly for you. Unfortunately, that coding cannot be read by most forum software and so the pictures appear whichever way they were taken with the phone.

There are some tips to get the 'correct' orientation for your photos on your phone.
Android users take photos with the HOME button to the RIGHT.
Apple users take photos with the VOLUME button DOWN.

This is the 'correct' orientation for pictures on your phone. The developers base this off of a DSLR camera that takes photos in landscape mode as a default. So when you take a picture with your phone in portrait view, it's like turning the DSLR camera to the side to take a portrait photo.

You can also open your pictures in an editor on your computer and manually rotate them. If you use an editor on your phone, you may need to crop off a couple pixels, or save a new name so that a change is registered.

You can also use photo hosts like imgur, that have the software needed to read the coding on the images from the phones.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Testing using Tapatalk on phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok it works if I post directly from the phone but not if I transfer the photo to a PC and then post from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
506 Posts
When you send it to your PC, you need to open it and re-save the image as it is using Exif data from the phone itself. You then upload it.

- JB

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, That seems to work. I tried with photos where I had to crop it a little in order to be able to save a new copy.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper
and then I tried using paint and save-as which also worked
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille
Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
I use Gimp (freeware) which often gives me a warning when I open a file that it appears to be rotated, do I want the problem fixed.

This "problem" seems to be caused by some or other fairly recent update to windows10.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Reactions: Chicago Joe

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,838 Posts
I went out with this chick from Boston once ... it was a challenge

but we still keep in touch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts