Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Upgrade standard audio.

22K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  AlfaCrisis 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't go for the HK audio in my car. I didn't thinK it was worth the money but the standard system is dire.

I came from a Golf GTI with a sub in the floor of the trunk and the sound was great. I really can't accept the sound in the Giulia as it is but do not want anything that does not look standard. Have any of you upgraded your standard system? I would love some pointers on what components you used.

#2 ·
I also would like to know. I may got to a local company sometime soon and get a powered sub I have laying around installed.

#5 ·
Does anyone know what size speakers are in the front door panels? I got the Q2 package.. But the car came with the base sound system..coming from a Subaru with the optimal HK system this one Blow's..also and pics or info regarding how to remove the door panel? Thanks for the help y'all!

#6 ·
Standard audio Giulias have a 100w, 8 speaker configuration. 4 160 mm (6.3”) “woofers” in the four doors and four 40 mm (1.6”) “tweeters”, two in the front doors and two in the dash. Given those specs, I would assume a 6.5” speaker (165 mm) would work for the door locations, but since most “tweeters” are 1” (25 mm) or less, I’m not sure the answer there. I assume you could slip 1” tweeters in, but without good, full-range door speakers, you might lose some of the mid/upper range.

Even then, as I understand it, the standard audio Giulia lacks a dedicated amp, so you might be driving nice speakers with a noisy signal source. Perhaps MacGeek can address if there is a way to bypass the standard amplified output that is used for the HK system amp and thus be possible to use for an aftermarket install?

All things being the same, I must say I find the standard Giulia system to be better than average, and in my case, much superior to the previous system I had. In fact, it is superior to the Beats option in the Abarth even.

If you are really an audiophile, at least one member has spent $20k making the system better. http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1001-audio-stereo/7778-few-modifications-sound-system.html

#9 ·
Standard audio Giulias have a 100w, 8 speaker configuration. 4 160 mm (6.3”) “woofers” in the four doors and four 40 mm (1.6”) “tweeters”, two in the front doors and two in the dash.
My mistake, the tweeters are in the rear doors and the dash...

#7 ·
I actually like the sound system. It is clear with plenty of bass and mids. I've actually gotten compliments on it. I would rather spend the money on performance parts. Isn't there three systems or so I thought?

Reactions: DragonKart and jwq2
#12 ·
wherer are my 14 speakers for HK

Just took possession of new Ti Lusso last week, Trofeo White with cream interior, gorgeous. Pleasant surprise when I found out that the audio plays a thumb drive with lossless WMA tracks. (Last two cars Jag and Audi would not play them).
So the info tainment manual did not come with vehicle but I found it on line and saw the 3 audio systems listed. All I had seen was two options and I got the HK Premium. I see from above post that the middle one is not available in US. The mid level system in the manual lists 10 speakers with 14 for the HK. I hope I"m not totally paranoid but I can't find the 14 speakers, I do see 10 as in the mid level system. The tweeters on front door do have the HK logo. When I look in the trunk I see the subwoofer in the middle of the platform but I do not see two speakers on the sides there. My worry, hopefully unjustified, is that I got the 10 speaker system but paid $900 for the 14. The amps are different on these, I think 900 watts for the HK. I dont' know how to expose the amp to see if it's 900 watts.

Can somebody help me verify that I have the 14 speaker system (without taking the car apart).

thanks in advance

Gary K
Pinecrest FL

#22 ·
I see the tweeters on the rear door, so I've accounted for 12 speakers, just cant see the mid range ones on the rear platform surrounding the sub woofer. I am satisfied. I'm a little suspicious as my last car restulted in a Lemon Law case which I won and won again on appeal. thanks

#23 ·
Looking at the Infotainment Manual diagram, the two “parcel shelf” mids seem to actually be located in/on the C pillar. This may be another case of poor interpretation from Italian. If not, they will be tight to the C pillars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.