Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't go for the HK audio in my car. I didn't thinK it was worth the money but the standard system is dire.

I came from a Golf GTI with a sub in the floor of the trunk and the sound was great. I really can't accept the sound in the Giulia as it is but do not want anything that does not look standard. Have any of you upgraded your standard system? I would love some pointers on what components you used.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't go for the HK audio in my car. I didn't thinK it was worth the money but the standard system is dire.

I came from a Golf GTI with a sub in the floor of the trunk and the sound was great. I really can't accept the sound in the Giulia as it is but do not want anything that does not look standard. Have any of you upgraded your standard system? I would love some pointers on what components you used.

I also would like to know. I may got to a local company sometime soon and get a powered sub I have laying around installed.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
I went to a couple of places to get a quote for a subwoofer to be installed.
None fits inside the cabin and if its in trunk, we need higher wattage and woofer size. Again, this is what I have been told by them.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I would suggest speaker upgrades before considering anything, paying attention to frequency response charts to suit you needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know what size speakers are in the front door panels? I got the Q2 package.. But the car came with the base sound system..coming from a Subaru with the optimal HK system this one Blow's..also and pics or info regarding how to remove the door panel? Thanks for the help y'all!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Standard audio Giulias have a 100w, 8 speaker configuration. 4 160 mm (6.3”) “woofers” in the four doors and four 40 mm (1.6”) “tweeters”, two in the front doors and two in the dash. Given those specs, I would assume a 6.5” speaker (165 mm) would work for the door locations, but since most “tweeters” are 1” (25 mm) or less, I’m not sure the answer there. I assume you could slip 1” tweeters in, but without good, full-range door speakers, you might lose some of the mid/upper range.

Even then, as I understand it, the standard audio Giulia lacks a dedicated amp, so you might be driving nice speakers with a noisy signal source. Perhaps MacGeek can address if there is a way to bypass the standard amplified output that is used for the HK system amp and thus be possible to use for an aftermarket install?

All things being the same, I must say I find the standard Giulia system to be better than average, and in my case, much superior to the previous system I had. In fact, it is superior to the Beats option in the Abarth even.

If you are really an audiophile, at least one member has spent $20k making the system better. http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1001-audio-stereo/7778-few-modifications-sound-system.html

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I actually like the sound system. It is clear with plenty of bass and mids. I've actually gotten compliments on it. I would rather spend the money on performance parts. Isn't there three systems or so I thought?

Reactions: DragonKart and jwq2

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The manual lists three systems, but the US gets two...standard and HK.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Standard audio Giulias have a 100w, 8 speaker configuration. 4 160 mm (6.3”) “woofers” in the four doors and four 40 mm (1.6”) “tweeters”, two in the front doors and two in the dash.
My mistake, the tweeters are in the rear doors and the dash...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say over the last week the standard audio system has started to sound A LOT better. I think the break in period for the system is real. It's actually quite good tbh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wherer are my 14 speakers for HK

The manual lists three systems, but the US gets two...standard and HK.
Just took possession of new Ti Lusso last week, Trofeo White with cream interior, gorgeous. Pleasant surprise when I found out that the audio plays a thumb drive with lossless WMA tracks. (Last two cars Jag and Audi would not play them).
So the info tainment manual did not come with vehicle but I found it on line and saw the 3 audio systems listed. All I had seen was two options and I got the HK Premium. I see from above post that the middle one is not available in US. The mid level system in the manual lists 10 speakers with 14 for the HK. I hope I"m not totally paranoid but I can't find the 14 speakers, I do see 10 as in the mid level system. The tweeters on front door do have the HK logo. When I look in the trunk I see the subwoofer in the middle of the platform but I do not see two speakers on the sides there. My worry, hopefully unjustified, is that I got the 10 speaker system but paid $900 for the 14. The amps are different on these, I think 900 watts for the HK. I dont' know how to expose the amp to see if it's 900 watts.

Can somebody help me verify that I have the 14 speaker system (without taking the car apart).

thanks in advance

Gary K
Pinecrest FL

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Can somebody help me verify that I have the 14 speaker system (without taking the car apart).
From the 2017 Giulia Infotainment Manual (https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...s/Giulia/2017-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Radio-3rd.pdf), the pictures didn't transfer:

AUDIO SYSTEM

Basic Level Audio System

The standard audio system is equipped with eight speakers and it is able to develop a sound power level of 100 W. The basic system consists of:
Four Woofers (Two on front doors and Two on rear doors) of 16 cm (160 mm) in diameter
Four Tweeters (Two on front doors and Two on dashboard) of 4 cm (40 mm) in diameter

Premium Audio System — If Equipped Europe Only, as I understand it

The mid-level audio system is equipped with 10 speakers and a 400 W amplifier. The system consists of:
Four Woofers (Two on front doors and Two on rear doors) of 16 cm (160 mm) in diameter
Four Tweeters (Two on front doors and Two on dashboard) of 4 cm (40 mm) in diameter
One Midrange speaker (on dashboard) of 9 cm (90 mm) in diameter
One Eight-channel Amplifier in the luggage compartment
One Subwoofer of 18x27 cm (180x270 mm) on the parcel shelf

Harman Kardon Premium Audio System — If Equipped

The high audio system is equipped with 14 speakers and a 900 W amplifier. The system consists of:
Two Tweeters (on front doors) of 4 cm (40 mm) in diameter
Five Midrange speakers (Two on front doors, One on dashboard and Two on parcel shelf) of 8 cm (80 mm) in diameter
Two Tweeters (on rear doors) of 4 cm (40 mm) in diameter
One Twelve-channel Amplifier in the luggage compartment
One Subwoofer of 18x27 cm (180x270 mm) on the parcel shelf

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks, yes I had looked at the pictures in the manual that showed the speakers for the 3 different levels of audio.. My concern is do I have the 14 speakers I was paying for vs. a 10 speaker set up

·
Registered
7 Posts
for example I only see the upfiring subwoofer on the platform behind the rear seats, which would match the 10 speaker set up but not the HK Premium

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
for example I only see the upfiring subwoofer on the platform behind the rear seats, which would match the 10 speaker set up but not the HK Premium
Do you have the midrange speakers in the front doors? Those are HK only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see them unless they are embedded in the woofers. I only see the metal HK tweeter and the woofer below. Where are they supposed to be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes, I have it. the HK premium audio is listed, $900, my question is could it be possible that I and others are paying for the HK premium system 14 speakers and getting the 10 speaker system that's not even listed as an option in the US

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't see them unless they are embedded in the woofers. I only see the metal HK tweeter and the woofer below. Where are they supposed to be?
The "metal HK tweeter" is the mid-range speaker. That's about right for 8 cm, the tweeters are 4 cm, call it 1.5". The listing above is, I believe, in error. The front tweeters are located in the corner of the dashboard top by the junction of the A-pillar, the dashcover and the windshield. Look at the rear doors, in front of the door handles to see the small tweeter grill size.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.