Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Updating 2017 models to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

196K views 403 replies 80 participants last post by  Beta Romeo 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: See page 5 for procedure.

This is a continued discussion from another forum we unintentionally hijacked. Sorry!
I've succesfully updated my 2017 to AA/Carplay, looking to build a how-to and am working with anyone to confirm all of the setup variables.

#2 ·
I've found that when the initial procsi is run the ETM takes the vin of the vehicle from somewhere. If you install it on another vehicle it will not work and will ask for a security code. Someone installed the radio you bought in a vehicle before and probably ran a procsi. This causes it to lock when installed in your vehicle. Unfortunately, this code is not available through Mopar channels. That radio is pretty much useless, you can still communicate with it through a scan tool, but all inputs are disabled.
Yes I understand at this stage the used ETM I got is useless. (hope in the future the code will be available somehow). I was trying to see if I can provide you with any useful info on my 2017 with MSE and with my locked ETM. If there is anything you want me test feel free to let me know. Thx.

#6 ·
I don't think easy access is available on cars with old hardware even with latest SW xxx.059 right? It is only available with new hardware on 072.xxx or above?
Btw, I think all north America giulia have electric seats if I am correct.

maybe regarding easy entry we do separate thread?
I don't know about others but I don't mind easy access being on this thread. I would love to one day get the easy access, AA, and larger reverse camera display on my 2017. ?

#7 ·
This is a continued discussion from another forum we unintentionally hijacked. Sorry!
I've succesfully updated my 2017 to AA/Carplay, looking to build a how-to and am working with anyone to confirm all of the setup variables.

What month was you car built? I want to do this but my understanding is that this only works on June 2017 or later.

#13 ·
Maybe the mods could move over the relevant posts from the other thread?

#14 ·
I'd be very interested to find out how you did this. Where are the instructions or list of things you did?

I did A LOT of research last year on this and contacted MacGeek and also my contact here who is VERY high up (basically as high as you get) the chain in Alfa Romeo who reached out to Italy.

All of the information we ended up getting was basically that it could be potentially done, but the risk was so great it wasn't worth the reward. While I understood that we needed to replace modules that control the unit, there was an inherent risk that the wiring or some other unknown in the chain wouldn't be 100% right and it could cause gremlins etc. I decided not to risk it.

I was desperate for ACP in my Giulia...

#15 ·
Beta Romeo, Well done for managing what seemed like the impossible really looking forward to details when you have them. If there is anything I can do to help PM me.

Even if this takes getting a new radio module with the new faster CPU I'm up for it. I just hope its not something the dealer flashes back to stock every time a 'modified' Giulia goes in for service.

#16 ·
Also while this is fresh in y mind, I'll put in the information that I received from FCA head office as context as well, this wasn't through a dealer, this was through a very good friend who is at the top of the company who was trying to get this done for me, so when he requested it, they engineers were under pressure to help him due to his seniority:

"EMEA Giulia Infotainment engineering team have responded with the following in regards to updating a Giulia to CarPlay/Android Auto:

In order to perform the replacement, there should be a Mopar aftersales procedure, involving both hardware and software and not recommended
Hardware changes are needed (head unit, usb plugs)
Software changes including proxy file (forbidden to end-users) + BCM, IPC, Amplifier, Park Sensor Unit. All the units must be updated together as a bundle because the introduction of carplay/android auto was synchronized with quality changes and upgrades that cannot be split.

It is as we suspected (hardware and proxy update) but EMEA have indicated that it requires additional modules to be updated that I did not consider. Park Sense Module, IPC and AMP.

The risk to update the proxy server and all these modules is high. DTAC actually recently worked on correcting a proxy concern. We had 16 Stelvios with a mismatch. It took them 1 month to correct the concern. And we actually ‘bricked’ one amplifier that now needs replacing. The same could occur to this customers car to any one of the modules that needs replacing or updating.

I maintain my recommendation not to allow this upgrade.”

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warnings. But I don’t think it is true. The additional modules (amplifier, brake module, IPC, parking sensor, blind spot sensors) that need to be updated were for software 072.xxx.xxx or above. That is when they introduced easy exit and larger rear view camera view, etc. So those other firmware update requirements on these modules are probably related to those new additions. If you are running software 056.xxx.xxx which is the first software version that include AA/ACP, the firmware on the above additional modules were never said needed to be update by Afla. And there were no TSB or recall to have them updated if you are on 056.xxx.xxx or below. And have you seen @ratix ‘s post. He got his 2016 Giulia to work with a new 2018 MY radio in his car and AA/ACP activated with no issues. @jnsd, I see you have a 2018 Giulia in your signature. You shouldn’t need to update your car with AA/ACP since it should already be readily available. Did you sell your 2017 and updated to 2018?

#18 ·
My car was built in December 2016, registered in 2018, so "technically" it's a 2016.

My software was always 056.xxx.xxx

How this all started for me was they did a software update and it screwed up the voice commands, as they knew me well and my contacts, they generously offered to replace the whole unit at a cost of around $7,000 (to them and not me as it was their fault) as they could not roll back the software.

I used this opportunity to try to get the ACP into my baby, then went down the rabbit hole.

I spoke on PM with @MacGeek and he was very helpful, his info below if interested, but the long and the short of it all was that it was too risky for me to do. If someone else has pulled it off, I am ALL EARS! Hence why I am here, would LOVE to have this feature so any info I can pass on that may be off assistance I will:

"
Yes, the ETM module is the brain of the screen. The screen in the dash is just that, a screen, and it connects to the head unit (ETM) that is under the dash in the footwell area via a LVDS cable.

As for the feasibility of the change, you need the new ETM, the new USB/Aux module (inside the armrest storage compartment), and most importantly the feature needs to be enabled in software.

As for the ETM, codes are the following:
P/N 50553593 is the one currently in production.
P/N 50560294 will be adopted in production from late September. I don't know what the difference from the current one is.

The new USB/Aux module has P/N 156138299.

Now for the hardest part, the software unlock. All current production Giulias have ACP/AA capable ETMs, but in most markets ACP/AA is offered as a paid option. Therefore, the feature is only exposed when the Body Computer "Vehicle Configuration" file (aka PROXI) contains the appropriate option code.

For reference, the official procedure to enable ACP/AA on early MY18 "pre-wired" NAFTA cars requires the dealer to connect the wiTECH tool, connect to FCA servers, add the option codes to the Body Computer, and then, also using wiTECH, activate the feature in the ETM.

I have no certainty about whether this file can be suitably modified on an older car. If at all possible, it would likely require a 3rd party diagnostic tool, like Accinni's Leonardo or Multiecuscan."

-----------

"The part numbers I gave you are for Australia.

In any case, the electronic architecture itself does not differ between NAFTA and EMEA/APAC/LATAM (cabling obviously does differ between LHD and RHD).

Based on my knowledge, I do not see the newer head unit creating other electrical issues in the car.

What remains unknown is whether they'll be able to activate the feature. The wiTECH tool downloads from FCA's server a VIN-specific Vehicle Configuration file, containing all the equipment and configuration codes present on the specific car. This makes me suspect that, until a 3rd party such as Accinni or Multiecuscan manages to figure out exactly what needs to be tweaked and how, direct FCA involvement would be needed to add the relevant codes to your file and make enabling ACP/AA feasible.

In a nutshell, I don't see the new head unit creating other issues, but I don't know whether the swap will actually allow you to get ACP/AA, due to that software caveat."

#190 ·
My car was built in December 2016, registered in 2018, so "technically" it's a 2016.

My software was always 056.xxx.xxx

How this all started for me was they did a software update and it screwed up the voice commands, as they knew me well and my contacts, they generously offered to replace the whole unit at a cost of around $7,000 (to them and not me as it was their fault) as they could not roll back the software.

I used this opportunity to try to get the ACP into my baby, then went down the rabbit hole.

I spoke on PM with @MacGeek and he was very helpful, his info below if interested, but the long and the short of it all was that it was too risky for me to do. If someone else has pulled it off, I am ALL EARS! Hence why I am here, would LOVE to have this feature so any info I can pass on that may be off assistance I will:

"
Yes, the ETM module is the brain of the screen. The screen in the dash is just that, a screen, and it connects to the head unit (ETM) that is under the dash in the footwell area via a LVDS cable.

As for the feasibility of the change, you need the new ETM, the new USB/Aux module (inside the armrest storage compartment), and most importantly the feature needs to be enabled in software.

As for the ETM, codes are the following:
P/N 50553593 is the one currently in production.
P/N 50560294 will be adopted in production from late September. I don't know what the difference from the current one is.

The new USB/Aux module has P/N 156138299.

Now for the hardest part, the software unlock. All current production Giulias have ACP/AA capable ETMs, but in most markets ACP/AA is offered as a paid option. Therefore, the feature is only exposed when the Body Computer "Vehicle Configuration" file (aka PROXI) contains the appropriate option code.

For reference, the official procedure to enable ACP/AA on early MY18 "pre-wired" NAFTA cars requires the dealer to connect the wiTECH tool, connect to FCA servers, add the option codes to the Body Computer, and then, also using wiTECH, activate the feature in the ETM.

I have no certainty about whether this file can be suitably modified on an older car. If at all possible, it would likely require a 3rd party diagnostic tool, like Accinni's Leonardo or Multiecuscan."

-----------

"The part numbers I gave you are for Australia.

In any case, the electronic architecture itself does not differ between NAFTA and EMEA/APAC/LATAM (cabling obviously does differ between LHD and RHD).

Based on my knowledge, I do not see the newer head unit creating other electrical issues in the car.

What remains unknown is whether they'll be able to activate the feature. The wiTECH tool downloads from FCA's server a VIN-specific Vehicle Configuration file, containing all the equipment and configuration codes present on the specific car. This makes me suspect that, until a 3rd party such as Accinni or Multiecuscan manages to figure out exactly what needs to be tweaked and how, direct FCA involvement would be needed to add the relevant codes to your file and make enabling ACP/AA feasible.

In a nutshell, I don't see the new head unit creating other issues, but I don't know whether the swap will actually allow you to get ACP/AA, due to that software caveat."
Thread mine, I know, but did they change your hub to the dual USB when they changed your ETM?

#19 ·
Thanks for posting the message from Macgeek. No compatibility issues noted there and seems like that further confirms that all we need to do is somehow use a 3rd party software to activate AA/ACP by hacking the procsi. Of course we need to get new hardware that is not locked or have AA/ACP initially blocked on the ETM.

#20 · (Edited)
Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think there can be 2 approach to getting AA/ACP on 2017. Prerequisite are new hardware 2nd gen or above ETM and Dual USB ports installed in the center console:

1) NEW ETM from factory with no VIN attach to it. Hack Procsi to activate AA, then install new ETM to car, VIN will write to ETM on initial boot up. Use witech to activate AA/ACP on ETM. reboot and you are set to go.

Method number 2 may not be possible yet. But could be in future, require rewriting VIN to used ETM or use the 4 digit unlock code.

2) Same as above, first activate AA via procsi. Buy a used ETM that have been previously installed on another car that already have AA/ACP activated. Install it on your car. Somehow we can find a way to rewrite the VIN on this used ETM to match your car's VIN. then there is no need to even use witech to activate AA/ACP offline. This method can possibly skip dealer visit.

What do you guys think?

#21 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think there can be 2 approach to getting AA/ACP on 2017. Prerequisite are new hardware 2nd gen or above ETM and Dual USB ports installed in the center console:

1) NEW ETM from factory with no VIN attach to it. Hack Procsi to activate AA, then install new ETM to car, VIN will write to ETM on initial boot up. Use witech to activate AA/ACP on ETM. reboot and you are set to go.

Method number 2 may not be possible yet. But could be in future, require rewriting VIN to used ETM.

2) Same as above, first activate AA via procsi. Buy a used ETM that have been previously installed on another car that already have AA/ACP activated. Somehow we can find a way to rewrite the VIN on this used ETM to match your car's VIN. then there is no need to even use witech to activate AA/ACP offline. This method can possibly skip dealer visit.

What do you guys think?
The vin of the paired car is stored in the emmc of the ETM. /opt/vinmanager and /opt/antitheft directories for those that care IIRC. A daemon (/system/bin/vinmanager) requests the VIN of the vehicle via CAN and passes that info along to the antitheftdaemon. Without a vulnerability enabling (root) filesystem access to the ETM or programmatically changing the VIN of the car itself, #2 isn't going to work. I did find a few other tricks (temporary vinlock bypass) that I've been researching. One other possible option would be to connect directly to the emmc through debug points on the ETM mainboard, if they exist. I had some experience with that on phones in the past.

Finally, there is also a race condition in the script that runs when you restore the ETM to factory settings. But, it's a very short race and I'm unclear what could go wrong in the (very likely) event it's not timed correctly.

#24 ·
@ratix, on original thread you mentioned: "only FCA can reset ETM" in context of attempt of enabling AA/ACP withhout proxi being prepared first. do you know any detail what exactly they need to do/how and if they need e.g. radio security code first?

somebody else mentnoned to use segger j-link, say I get one (or something similar), what software I need to use and what do I need to do in order to unlock back radio for AA/ACP or even back for full fresh start (clear VIN out of it)?
Does it help in any way that I have latest firmware copy (including 1.4GB bin file)? Flash radio with this in case there are any programming headers inside?

And last one, @beapus your post looks like you had their source code?

#25 ·
@ratix, on original thread you mentioned: "only FCA can reset ETM" in context of attempt of enabling AA/ACP withhout proxi being prepared first. do you know any detail what exactly they need to do/how and if they need e.g. radio security code first?

somebody else mentnoned to use segger j-link, say I get one (or something similar), what software I need to use and what do I need to do in order to unlock back radio for AA/ACP or even back for full fresh start (clear VIN out of it)?
Does it help in any way that I have latest firmware copy (including 1.4GB bin file)? Flash radio with this in case there are any programming headers inside?

And last one, @beapus your post looks like you had their source code?
I have no source code. I just partially REd one of the firmware updates, probably the same file you have.

#27 ·
All ETM units have security code ( old and new )
The only way to activate CarPlay in new unit is :
1 put the NEW ETM in one giulia 2018 with AA/ACP ( if don't have AA/ACP change proxy )
2 do the proxy alignment
3 do the CarPlay activation offline
4 remove ETM from 2018 Giulia
5 put ETM in 2017 giulia
6 change proxy
Done

ATTENTION
the car where the activation was made (giulia 2018 ) cannot be moved or ETM WILL LOCK and not work in 2017 giulia

#28 ·
what you mean cannot be moved, you mean cannot be driven with the radio which we prepare for 2017 giulia?
instead of putting to 2018 car, equivalent would be to have proxi prepared the way previously suggested? is the proxi setup confirmed now, or it is still bit guessing?
what about radio which was attempted to activate AA/ACP in 2017 car not ready yet with proxi? how to get reset - any info on using programming interface, or reflashing radio (have bin file), or dealer (say I get security code) or any other trick?

#29 ·
Yes the car can not be driven
if you drive the car ETM will LOCK the vin and is no more possible put the ETM in other Giulia (2017)

Until now is impossible activate CarPlay in ETM mounted in giulia/stelvio 2016 2017 even if the proxy is changed

I've seen it done inside an ETM with One interface J-link
it unlocks the processor and activates CarPlay

#30 ·
Alright, I've got good news and bad news.

Good news: Android Auto Works. I have figured out the procsi settings to allow the android manual activation operation to be set and have confirmed this works on two cars and have activated android auto without using a late model car to activate.

Bad news: Apple CarPlay does NOT work. There is a separate procsi code for CarPlay, which I haven't figured out yet. There is a lot of trial and error and I don't have an iPhone to experiment with.

My previous procsi settings allowed Android Auto to work, but not allow it to be manually turned on with WiTech. Here is the process I found the easiest for AA activation(this has only been tested on USDM 2017 models):

This must be used on a version 2.5 radio module, and the radio must have never had the CarPlay activation manually set to off. The center console new 2-usb port must be installed on the vehicle.

1.) Using Multiecuscan, pull up the procsi table and copy it to a text file as a backup. Then:
Change byte 157 to 31. Change byte 161 to 03. Change byte 163 to 1A. Change byte 174 to 02. Write these values to the BCM. You can actually cancel out of the rest of the procsi write process as I found it cumbersome with different connectors, etc. I also found some modules simply not setting their procsi with MultiScanECU.
2.) Using WiTech, perform a procsi realignment under the BCM. This takes the procsi just written to the BCM and applies it to all other modules. This must be run TWICE, the first time it will procsi the cluster and one other module. Running it again will procsi all other modules. After the ABS module is re-procsi'd the Control Module Reprogram(Under ABS/Misc functions) must be run or else you will set a bunch of ABS codes.
3.) Under the ETM, Miscellaneous functions, run CarPlay manual activation. This will set to ON.
4.) Disconnect the battery and reconnect.
5.) Clear all codes. Android Auto should function normally.

Use these instructions at your own risk. I'm still working on the CarPlay procsi and you may want to wait to do it all at the same time. I just thought I'd update you and let you know I'm still on it!

#34 ·
Alright, I've got good news and bad news.

Good news: Android Auto Works. I have figured out the procsi settings to allow the android manual activation operation to be set and have confirmed this works on two cars and have activated android auto without using a late model car to activate.

Bad news: Apple CarPlay does NOT work. There is a separate procsi code for CarPlay, which I haven't figured out yet. There is a lot of trial and error and I don't have an iPhone to experiment with.

My previous procsi settings allowed Android Auto to work, but not allow it to be manually turned on with WiTech. Here is the process I found the easiest for AA activation(this has only been tested on USDM 2017 models):

This must be used on a version 2.5 radio module, and the radio must have never had the CarPlay activation manually set to off. The center console new 2-usb port must be installed on the vehicle.

1.) Using Multiecuscan, pull up the procsi table and copy it to a text file as a backup. Then:
Change byte 157 to 31. Change byte 161 to 03. Change byte 163 to 1A. Change byte 174 to 02. Write these values to the BCM. You can actually cancel out of the rest of the procsi write process as I found it cumbersome with different connectors, etc. I also found some modules simply not setting their procsi with MultiScanECU.
2.) Using WiTech, perform a procsi realignment under the BCM. This takes the procsi just written to the BCM and applies it to all other modules. This must be run TWICE, the first time it will procsi the cluster and one other module. Running it again will procsi all other modules. After the ABS module is re-procsi'd the Control Module Reprogram(Under ABS/Misc functions) must be run or else you will set a bunch of ABS codes.
3.) Under the ETM, Miscellaneous functions, run CarPlay manual activation. This will set to ON.
4.) Disconnect the battery and reconnect.
5.) Clear all codes. Android Auto should function normally.

Use these instructions at your own risk. I'm still working on the CarPlay procsi and you may want to wait to do it all at the same time. I just thought I'd update you and let you know I'm still on it!
I think you must to change byte 115
14 -> 15

#33 ·
BTW, if anyone has an early 18 model that does not have AA or carplay installed and has not done any recalls or updates to the vehicle I would install AA or Carplay for free with the updated USB hub in order to get the before and after procsi values to the vehicle. These cars have a sales code build that gets changed when the procsi is restored to the vehicle and AA and Carplay procsi flags are enabled. If I could get my hands on one of these cars I could see what flags change, before and after. This would greatly accelerate my procsi flag search. PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks!

#45 ·
This is all to good to be true!! I have a 2017 with an H in the VIN. I think what you guys are doing is s little it of my league though.

1. I'm in Minnesota. Beta Romeo, where are you located? Can I bring my car to you? Presumably need to get a console USB from a junkyard 2018 as well. Would be glad to pay for the upgrade.

2. Associated side topic: seems to me these cars were designed to run AA and ACP using the center console touch pad (no touch screen). Any of you superheros been able to activate that? Just to be able to use it to enter contacts instead of the dammed scroll wheel would be great!

#46 ·
This is all to good to be true!! I have a 2017 with an H in the VIN. I think what you guys are doing is s little it of my league though.

1. I'm in Minnesota. Beta Romeo, where are you located? Can I bring my car to you? Presumably need to get a console USB from a junkyard 2018 as well. Would be glad to pay for the upgrade.

2. Associated side topic: seems to me these cars were designed to run AA and ACP using the center console touch pad (no touch screen). Any of you superheros been able to activate that? Just to be able to use it to enter contacts instead of the dammed scroll wheel would be great!
A little far I am guessing. I believe he is on the Best coast. ;)