Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
261 - 280 of 404 Posts
Discussion starter · #261 ·
proxi is similar mods of course leaving all stelvio or trim dependant bits untouched. i did this twice in stelvios. only hub installation is 2h extra job due to need of unbolting underneath the tunnel. im on travel right now but layter can advise what to change in proxi exactly
If you do have the proxi keys to the Stelvios to change, please post them here! Thanks!

In short you change hub to dual but with compatible to AA, here are my records, all compatible
156138299 NAFTA 156143958EMEA -> 156147799 -> K6QW48DX8AC -> K7AQ67DX8AA
then you go to proxi, right Alt+C on last tab.
byte 115 must be 0x15 (dual with aux), so if different change it (single are 0x14)
byte 157 you need to set lowerst bit, so e.g. in EU GIulia 0x30 change to 0x31, in EU Stelvio 0xB0 you change to 0xB1 - this adds mirroring function
byte 161 in both cases change to 0x3 - this allows AA and ACP
byte 163 I do not think needs change, but I set it just in case to what I had with stock AA/ACP to 0x02 (giuliaforums said about 0x1A which acoording to my proxi info has no function in these cars)
giuliaforums also said byte 174 to 0x02 but in my stock car I had this 0x00 as well my proxi records have no funciton for that byte in pre-facelifts. I do not set that one to customers and a few activated sucessfully
after you do change, OK, then run proxi, when done, power down for say 1.5minute so all dash and radio fan (later) gets quiet, then after this you can go to Witech2 and activate in ETM Carplay option which enables both AA and ACP.

All parts can be purchased here to do the job:

If you do have the proxi keys to the Stelvios to change, please post them here! Thanks!
Given them to Alfissimo yesterday, see already email posted above :)

Reactions: Beta Romeo
dealership:
"It's going to cost $1,157 to run the codes because each code takes an hour. Estimating 5 hours and can't guarantee it will work"

The only part I understand about this is "can't guarantee." I don't know how long it takes to run codes either but I assume nobody here paid a four digit price to run codes?

Is it just me or is the rest wildly unreasonable.

dealership:
"It's going to cost $1,157 to run the codes because each code takes an hour. Estimating 5 hours and can't guarantee it will work"

The only part I understand about this is "can't guarantee." I don't know how long it takes to run codes either but I assume nobody here paid a four digit price to run codes?

Is it just me or is the rest wildly unreasonable.
that's wildly unreasonable. Find a dealer or a tech willing to help you out. I guess they donn want to do anything to help the brand in the US.

Guys, I read through all the posts here. All is more or less clear but one thing.
I checked my proxy (Giulia 2017) and I've just 157 bytes there. How on earth should I modify bytes that are further down like 161, 163, 174 etc?
Please only proven solutions.
Thanks, Alex

Guys, I read through all the posts here. All is more or less clear but one thing.
I checked my proxy (Giulia 2017) and I've just 157 bytes there. How on earth should I modify bytes that are further down like 161, 163, 174 etc?
Please only proven solutions.
Thanks, Alex
expand your proxi to all 250 bytes - just write zeros "00" until you reach 250 bytes.
also you can modify byte 106 which tells proxi length to "FA", your's should read "9D" if you have 157 bytes.

expand your proxi to all 250 bytes - just write zeros "00" until you reach 250 bytes.
also you can modify byte 106 which tells proxi length to "FA", your's should read "9D" if you have 157 bytes.
Thanks!
Actually yes, it's infact 9D (which is in fact the hex for 157, while FA is the hex for 250):
Rectangle Font Technology Circle Pattern

There's no risk to brick the car, right? Like if there's some memory limitation into some of the modules that wouldn't accept 250 bytes...

Thanks!
Actually yes, it's infact 9D (which is in fact the hex for 157, while FA is the hex for 250):
View attachment 116474

There's no risk to brick the car, right? Like if there's some memory limitation into some of the modules that wouldn't accept 250 bytes...
it's computer - there is always risk. however never heard anyone to brick it nor had such experience.

in worst case scenario you'll have to visit dealer to restore original proxi. also you could visit dealer for latest updates - can't tell which body software number but with some update body proxi gets expanded to full 250 bytes.

Thanks!
View attachment 116474

I had once car like this for AA/ACP retrofit 2016 production but with warranty replaced headunit for 2nd generation. Added hub, expanded proxi , modified it, add later AA/ACP was successfully activated.

Reactions: Alex_GenTLe
My dealership appointment finally came up after two car installers told me I had to go to a dealership for this and the first dealer quoted me a four figure price with the additional detail that he had no idea how to do what I was asking for.

Dealership #2, Walked over to car with engineer. He was showing me his WiTech2 set up on his computer and how he wasn't able to change any proxi values. I told him I don't know what tool he is supposed to use but that he needs to use something that plugs into the USB Hub to change those values (I think I might have been wrong about that one). He was plugged into the OBD II port.

He told me he can edit the "proxy alignment" but I didn't see anything there that allowed him to edit these values and nothing actually was editable there anyway. He told me he doesn't have that tool and doesn't know what it is, so I guess I'm back to square one. Is this something I can buy? Is this the "MultiECUScan" software and does it plug into OBD II?

I'm also super concerned he might have permanently set CarPlay to off but he is telling me he did not. He opened "CarPlay offline activation." He hit continue before I could stop him and saw on the screen "CarPlay is off" I told him, I think you just did the thing I told you we should absolutely not do until the proxi values are updated. He told me "no, that's only if I hit this second continue button, it will go through and I haven't done that yet."

From earlier posts in this thread, I think I would have seen "Set OFF" if he had reached the point of no return and he didn't go that far. Please tell me that's right 😬

MES or other tool which allows either handmods of hex content or has ready settings for all. Witech does not allow, at least the version dealers have. I use MES. You do not plug it to hub, but to OBD like Witech interface. Hub is separate story, you need to have installed it first, then you do proxi mods, then you go to Witech.
Now, in terms of guy entering into Carplay setting. Although I done preparations for AA/ACP on something like 8-10 cars, I always sent guys to either dealerships or to one guy I know who has Witech. Once I witnessed, but we didn't play to find out how to break this, so we just went in prepared and executed procedure, so unfortunatelly can't answer if your radio is already locked or still a chance to activate.

I guess that there must be some way for headunit to reset, but how to do this I have no clue, possibly some engineering tools nobody has access to aside of small number of engineers within FCA or their headunit supplier (magneti mareli)?

Reactions: Beta Romeo
MES or other tool which allows either handmods of hex content or has ready settings for all. Witech does not allow, at least the version dealers have. I use MES. You do not plug it to hub, but to OBD like Witech interface. Hub is separate story, you need to have installed it first, then you do proxi mods, then you go to Witech.
Now, in terms of guy entering into Carplay setting. Although I done preparations for AA/ACP on something like 8-10 cars, I always sent guys to either dealerships or to one guy I know who has Witech. Once I witnessed, but we didn't play to find out how to break this, so we just went in prepared and executed procedure, so unfortunatelly can't answer if your radio is already locked or still a chance to activate.

I guess that there must be some way for headunit to reset, but how to do this I have no clue, possibly some engineering tools nobody has access to aside of small number of engineers within FCA or their headunit supplier (magneti mareli)?
Thanks. I'm not sure if I want to sink more time/money into this at this point not even knowing if it's permanently set to the off position.

The dealer told me while showing me on his screen "it doesn't even give me an option to turn CarPlay on." It just showed an uneditable field "CarPlay is off."

Driving back, I noticed the backup camera worked and hadn't after the install. So I know he ran WiTech despite my telling him not to run it at all until we got the proxi values changed.

Hi all, I have read many posts and my conclusions are these for STELVIO (I ask in this GIULIA forum because in the one for Stelvio they know nothing) :

1) the Stelvio produced on and from 11 December 2017 already have the AA and ACP predisposition that can be activated simply with Witech in the ETM - CARPLAY OPTION OFFLINE ACTIVATION section
The byte activation procedure with MES (!) Is NOT necessary
In practice they already have the "radio" gen 2 with software from 56 onwards and the letter C in the VIN

2) for USB ports not all docks with 2 ports are compatible and some have AA etc. with only ONE Usb + Aux (!!)

It's Right?

Maybe you are confisuing with USA MY2018 cars which were sold with extra pay option with promise to activate AA/ACP later - this was called 'prewired for Carplay' or something like that.
I think these cars also needed proxi change, but that was done as part of restore of proxi configuraiton after adding sales option code against VIN. Later they block this possibility for EU cars, as people were overusing for activation in dealership. So MES become only solution.
Hub needs change, in Stelvio it is nightmare job. HUB supports AA/ACP in all its slots as well as in front slot once setup correctly. Hub must be compatible part numebr with AA/ACP (not just dual). Not sure about single USB hubs, I seen cars with factory AA/ACP with single, these AA/ACP compatible I bought were always dual.
once hub installed and proxi handcrafted/executer to program in, and possibly headunit restarted from deep power down (all logo display etc), then Witech activation can be executed and must be succesful unless somebody already tried iwthout hub/proxi, then this radio is no use for AA/ACP anymore.
after activation, deep power down of radio needed to allow boot with new settings, and all works.

PS.Yes, stelvioforum is not active not too much knowledge from what I seen popping in there a few times.

Here's the issue I ran into.... Prior owner installed the CP/AA upgrade and I purchased the car with it active from a dealer. Updating the maps reset something and the infotainment went into constant reboot. Took the dealership 7 weeks to figure out the car did not come with CP/AA, removed the dual hub, installed single, and sent the car out. Because it was not flagged by VIN as having the upgrade, they removed it all. Now I am trying to use the Tech Bulletin that shows they can upgrade early 18s to get them to put it all back in and make sure to log it this time.

Reactions: MorganB
my Stelvio has the C in the Vin, it was built on 12 December 2017 and has etm gen 2 with sw 90, but it has only one usb in the armrest, but it also has the one under the climate, I have read around that it can be easily updated with original AA and ACP and costs 270 euros. It is not cheap. I asked to try to understand better. anyway having the MES 4.8 with original cables (I activated Acc + etc.) Tomorrow I will go to read the bytes, I'm curious
Tnx a lot

261 - 280 of 404 Posts