Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be of use to have a place where people with all the updates can list unsolved problems. Mine is the cold start idling where it hiccups a few times and has a rough start. After warm up it's fine. I was told there is a flash in the near future to fix this.

Reactions: Will and alfa908

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 2017 Q4 had all the updates available to it installed by the dealer a couple of weeks ago, one of which was to fix a stalling issue.

The stalling issue seems to have been fixed; the car hasn't stalled.

However, subsequent to these updates, when "cold"*, it has a harder time starting, turning over longer before engine-start (bit embarrassing, for a new car). It also idles a little rough for a couple of minutes, like it might stall, but It doesn't stall. Finally, it hesitates when I step on the accelerator.

After a couple of minutes, all is fine, though it still doesn't react immediately after the accelerator is depressed, even on Dynamic mode. Regarding this, I read somewhere that this is by design, for safety, but I think that's FAKE NEWS because I've owned many new foreign and domestic cars, and I drive newish rental cars when I travel, and none of them hesitate like this one currently does sometimes when I step on the accelerator. I can't tell if it's the computer or turbo lag.

It's concerning...I ask myself, will I be able to move the car quickly if the traffic situation demands it?

*By "cold," I don't mean the temperature is cold. I mean the car has been sitting for over four or five hours with the engine off. This hard start/rough idle problem is happening even if the ambient temperature is 98+ degrees F.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaving mine at the dealer for this in a week with a loaner. It shouldn't happen.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hope you get a nice loaner!

I got a modestly equipped TI. It was okay, but I missed my Q4 over the six days they had my car. Made it all that much more special when I got it back though!

Wish they had a Quadrifoflio as a loaner, but I guess our market is too small for that. Do folks in the DFW, LAX or Northeast US corridor get Quads as loaners?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
DFW area: West Fort Worth dealer, my loaner was equivalent, a base Giulia for a base. From knowing their stock, they might have a Ti or two available as a loaner, if needed. They've sold every QV they got, so no loaner there. The east Fort Worth dealership, I don't know...McKinney, @Chipps can address that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know right? I hope an honest discussion of (frankly) the several opportunities for improvement in this car is allowed. It's helpful to everyone!!! Disclaimer: I still love my car.

I like that we all learn from each other's experience. I myself have learned several tricks like how to improve the HK system sound and maybe how to disconnect the negative battery terminal (yet to try). I've learned that I'm not imagining a buzz in the passenger door speaker or about idiosyncrasies like the master power window switch and the fuel gauge.

An honest discussion, strong pro like a real "fanboy" or con, I think, is helpful.

What I hope is not the case on this forum, and I'm always aware that we live in times when this is common, is commentary from folks who are being paid to mold opinion on the model or brand, without disclosing same.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
No Issues

My Quad is a Sept 2016 build car....just had the infotainment update to current version...and a few RRTs that were listed as outstanding when I made the appointment....
I have not experienced any of the issues that people have had experienced here prior to or after the current update.
The only issue was that the radio would lose the presets...this is what facilitated me going to the dealer in the first place.
The one issue I experience with my car happened at the very beginning and it was documented here...car currently has 5150 miles, has seen 2 long distance trips with 1 more planned and 2 track days....has run flawlessly....

I do agree that it seems short sighted on Alfa NA's part to not allow dealers to bring ALL vehicles to the latest updates without having experienced an issue....moreover, these cars that are arriving now from Alfa should already be loaded with the latest software already...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not know what the standard McKinney loaner policy is. Dane, when he was a salesperson, told me that they would provide a Giulia. This was back in January when everything was new and interest in the car was uncertain.

·
Registered
483 Posts
After a couple of minutes, all is fine, though it still doesn't react immediately after the accelerator is depressed, even on Dynamic mode. Regarding this, I read somewhere that this is by design, for safety, but I think that's FAKE NEWS because I've owned many new foreign and domestic cars, and I drive newish rental cars when I travel, and none of them hesitate like this one currently does sometimes when I step on the accelerator. I can't tell if it's the computer or turbo lag.
Sounds like fake news, I concur. I do not think the car should do that. There might be some delay in the full application of the turbo's boost, but the car should be able to move at a good clip right off the line.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree!

Especially after more careful observations this Sunday morning, I agree the car should be able to move at a good clip on "non-turbo" power until the turbo builds up pressure. I think the hesitation I'm observing in my Q4 is more engine management related.

For this issue and the "turns over a while before the engine starts" issue that developed after the dealer installed a couple of RRTs, I'll be heading back to the dealer again soon...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.