Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Eagles Canyon Raceway outside of Dallas.
and it is still scheduled? I have one coming up on June 20th at LRP and just got notification that the trackday will be changed in format. Assuming the State of CT allows LRP to open AND the BMWCCA lifts their suspension on CCA events, this event will go to strictly upper intermediate and advanced drivers, competition licensed drivers and instructors only. Open track style event. No more novice or intermediate drivers that would normally have an in car instructor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
and it is still scheduled? I have one coming up on June 20th at LRP and just got notification that the trackday will be changed in format. Assuming the State of CT allows LRP to open AND the BMWCCA lifts their suspension on CCA events, this event will go to strictly upper intermediate and advanced drivers, competition licensed drivers and instructors only. Open track style event. No more novice or intermediate drivers that would normally have an in car instructor
Yes. They changed the format So students will follow their instructors instead of driving with them and will adhere to strict social distancing while off track.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is my first and last time at the track with the QV......
Destroyed pads, rotors and tires in 60 minutes.....
Not a very cost effective track day.....

If you had stock pads, then this is not surprising. If you have the Pirelli Corsa tires also not surprising.

Now that you need tires buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2's if you want a newer tire. I have the SS in stock size and they are a great all around tire with I believe a 340 treadwear rating.

If you daily drive it, they pick up some ceramic power stop pads from rock auto. The rotors if shot, I would go for the GiroDisc ones pricey but better over all rotor. If you want more brake bite you can also buy the Centric semi metallic pads but you'll have more dust. If you track again buy the power stop race day pads for a 2018 Subaru STI (yes, they'll fit) for$110 and have fun; tires should last no problem as long they're not the Pirelli's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wonder how much the driver impacts consumables. I tracked a C7 Z06 on Cup2 tires and ceramic brakes 4 or 5 times before replacing tires, the brakes were still solid. I'm not an aggressive driver (obviously) and am surprised the Alfa at only 300lbs more would be so much different. Maybe I'm just an optimist but fingers crossed I hope I get a couple track days without having to replace tires, rotors, pads, kitchen sink....:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wonder how much the driver impacts consumables. I tracked a C7 Z06 on Cup2 tires and ceramic brakes 4 or 5 times before replacing tires, the brakes were still solid. I'm not an aggressive driver (obviously) and am surprised the Alfa at only 300lbs more would be so much different. Maybe I'm just an optimist but fingers crossed I hope I get a couple track days without having to replace tires, rotors, pads, kitchen sink....:)
The Pirelli Corsa tires are 60 treadwear and are waay softer then the cup2's. Stock pads on the QV are toast if used on a track, hence why I was asking. But if driving crazy, you can burn up the good stuff fast too.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
so you had the ZR1 brakes on your C7...those are really stout...and I would imagine of better tolerance for a 650hp car/...LOL

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
😳 it doesn't look like you were driving like a mad man or anything, your experience cannot be the norm (I hope)....
Correct...... there is an old quote in the racing circles: "smooth is fast"......

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
If you had stock pads, then this is not surprising. If you have the Pirelli Corsa tires also not surprising.

Now that you need tires buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2's if you want a newer tire. I have the SS in stock size and they are a great all around tire with I believe a 340 treadwear rating.

If you daily drive it, they pick up some ceramic power stop pads from rock auto. The rotors if shot, I would go for the GiroDisc ones pricey but better over all rotor. If you want more brake bite you can also buy the Centric semi metallic pads but you'll have more dust. If you track again buy the power stop race day pads for a 2018 Subaru STI (yes, they'll fit) for$110 and have fun; tires should last no problem as long they're not the Pirelli's.
Thanks for the info.! If I were to seriously track the QV again I would, but for now i'll just track my racecar......
Enjoy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so you had the ZR1 brakes on your C7...those are really stout...and I would imagine of better tolerance for a 650hp car/...LOL
I had the Z06 with the Z07 package which is similar to the ZR1 setup but not exactly the same. To your point though, they were really stout. I guess I assumed that the ceramic brakes on the Alfa would be proportionally as stout. GM did an amazing job on the C7 Corvette though.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I had the Z06 with the Z07 package which is similar to the ZR1 setup but not exactly the same. To your point though, they were really stout. I guess I assumed that the ceramic brakes on the Alfa would be proportionally as stout. GM did an amazing job on the C7 Corvette though.
those are the J57 brakes, I thought they were the same as the ZR1 15 inch rotors front & rear CCB

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I hope to get there someday...

What type of car do you race?
Spec Boxster, whole whopping 190HP (at the wheels) :)
This was the Lime Rock race last year as this year's it was cancelled due to Covid......

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
corvette was and still is the lb for lb performance to price king in car world. Zo6 at 100k hangs with almost any car on tracks. No surprise there. I do wonder if new C8 will be as quality as the c6/c7. The pricing just seems too good to be true. I’m waiting until 2022 to make a move on C8 Zo6 or not.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I wonder how much the driver impacts consumables.
Immensely.

You have two types of drivers, usually. Driver A and Driver B, both have similar lap times, maybe tenth off.
Driver A will approach a corner, lay into the brakes as late as possible and use 100% of the braking possible. Turn in rather harshly, and have a ton of inputs mid-corner and corner exit.
Driver B will approach the same corner, but brake slightly earlier and only use 80%, carrying more controlled speed into the corner. Turn in is smoother because less franctic, little mid-corner inputs.

Driver B will see significantly less wear on the car.

Side note, tires play a huge role in how well the brakes work. Stickier the rubber, the more heat the brakes will generate under braking. Bigger rotors are more for fade resistance (ie. heat dissipation ) and the possibility of a larger pad. Two piece rotors work well for fade resistance by helping isolating the rotor hat from the ring. Recommended to go slotted (less ideal) or solid rings (ideal). More material = better heat dissipation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you track again buy the power stop race day pads for a 2018 Subaru STI (yes, they'll fit) for$110 and have fun;
Good to know, if I ever need new pads, I'll rip them off my wife's car while she sleeps :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
sorry to hear that, we actually got word yesterday that CT has opened up and our Track day at LRP is on for June 20th.
now what car to bring!...LOL
Only for solo drivers 😕

21 - 40 of 44 Posts