Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Alfa Rosso Giulia Ti for just over two months now, and, along with plenty of compliments, it seems like it's attracting idiots who want to race me! Seriously, I cannot recall owning a car where I've been 'challenged' so many times. It's generally been from American 'muscle' cars and trucks, looking to drag race. I have always resisted, obviously. The most recent was just this morning, on my commute to work! Guy sprints up along side me in an older model Mustang, continues alongside, then sprints ahead slightly, and eases back alongside, clearly trying to goad me into reacting. I can't decide if it's the car generally, i.e. they don't know what it is, or whether it's mainly the color.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ha! Same thing happened to me at my car wash not too long ago. While pulling into the wash bay station a younger kid with a Mustang looking at me revving his engine. I smiled and went about my business.

That said, I really need exhaust.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Simey, At least you're getting respectable competition, if it gets down to mini-vans wanting to race then you know you have an issue .....I have had mustangs get all excited when they see the QV, I just smile ......

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't get it at all in the QV. When I had a GTR that was ridiculous.

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Has toned down quite a bit around here as well...initially I had almost every Maser driver trying to race....and of course the AMG & M cars as well...
fast forward to today and I cannot remember that last time someone did that.....and frankly I'm all good with it

·
Registered
149 Posts
I haven't had anyone step up to the QV yet but I still believe the locals don't know what it is.

These days, I prefer to drive at my own aggressive pace and ignore the road racers.

I think these gray hairs are impacting my decision making process.

Steve

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't had anyone step up to the QV yet but I still believe the locals don't know what it is.

These days, I prefer to drive at my own aggressive pace and ignore the road racers.

Steve
Those gray hairs (I have the same) might have slightly affected your propensity to be goaded into a race, but they certainly haven't steered you into a Prius.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
414 Posts
Happens to me all the time in Dallas. Sometimes people want to race and sometimes i think they are just looking at the car. Either way it’s a bit annoying as it makes driving difficult!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those gray hairs (I have the same) might have slightly affected your propensity to be goaded into a race, but they certainly haven't steered you into a Prius.
I might have to lose all of my hair (and my mind) before buying a Prius.

:)

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Steve
This is a good point, and someone else mentioned this to me, most folk don't know what it is. Still seems a bit odd that the solution that they come up with is to try and race it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I might have to lose all of my hair (and my mind) before buying a Prius.

:)

Steve
I have a Prius along with my TI, Camaro, MINI, and Infinity. They each have a role....(not putting the dog in the Alfa)!

I am embarrassed when I drive the Prius but it is perfect for going to Lowes, concerts, etc. Your comment made me laugh because I am on my way to losing my hair and mind....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Folks these days just want to reenact the Fast and the Furious in real life with their Beemers and Mercs.
Add Audis, Subarus, and a few others. I'd settle for them using their turn signals occasionally. Yes, you spent a lot of money on your car. No, you don't own the road.

I shared the road with a lovely BMW 3.0CS being driven quickly yet calmly by a cigarette-smoking man who seemed to respect other drivers space while setting his own pace.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Prius along with my TI, Camaro, MINI, and Infinity. They each have a role....(not putting the dog in the Alfa)!

I am embarrassed when I drive the Prius but it is perfect for going to Lowes, concerts, etc. Your comment made me laugh because I am on my way to losing my hair and mind....
I was just teasing. I do own a Honda Fit and love it quite a bit for what I use it for.

Our dog goes for lots of rides in the Fit and Jeep. She will never step one paw into the Alfa!

Steve

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Add Audis, Subarus, and a few others. I'd settle for them using their turn signals occasionally. Yes, you spent a lot of money on your car. No, you don't own the road.

I shared the road with a lovely BMW 3.0CS being driven quickly yet calmly by a cigarette-smoking man who seemed to respect other drivers space while setting his own pace.
Extremely rare to find a BMW driver with "Sensibilities" (please excuse me M Driver)....However, you encountered a 3.0 CS....that was clearly a "Gentleman".....

·
Registered
332 Posts

Extremely rare to find a BMW driver with "Sensibilities" (please excuse me M Driver)....However, you encountered a 3.0 CS....that was clearly a "Gentleman".....
How does one hate BMW so much?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
No worries....unfortunately stereotypes occur for many different things....when the "yuppie" craze was all over this country...what were they driving OR believed to be driving??..BMWs:D
I have encountered many types of "people" in my days of instructing where the testosterone level present was off the charts!:D
and I found that its just people and how they are personality wise.... would not matter what they drive....
the fact is when you drive a high performance OR high profile car you are going to attract attention...good & bad....get used to it and let it roll off your shoulder...not worth the angst.
Salute`
M

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"going to attract attention...good & bad"

that's what's confusing me about this thread - people are complaining that others are aware of what their vehicle is, and in their own way expressing appreciation. whether it's "I wanna see" or "I wanna see what it will do", it is positive.

having your nice paint keyed by someone who hates it for what it represents, or parking lot dinged by someone who just doesn't care, that is bad attention.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts