Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get an allocation for a Quadrifoglio with the unpainted carbon roof option? I have been working with a great local dealer who has been trying to get an allocation for the last two months. Allegedly the unpainted roof option is on hold and may take a few more months. They can get an 2018 allocation but it will not come with the unpainted option. Given the 4-6 month build wait and the unknown wait for the roof allocation it could be October/November before delivery. At that point the 2019 will be out. Anyone else running into this?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wonder if a good body shop could strip the paint and coat the carbon for you? Not really sure what’s involved or needed but I’m sure it can be done.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wonder if a good body shop could strip the paint and coat the carbon for you? Not really sure what’s involved or needed but I’m sure it can be done.
I think exposed carbon usually involves adding a finish layer of cf to get the weave orientation just right.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I think exposed carbon usually involves adding a finish layer of cf to get the weave orientation just right.
The weave finish layer is part of the layup process, and Alfa is probably not spec'ing different layups for paint and naked, so the weave is likely there, under the paint.

That said, it would be a major bummer to strip, discover it's just UD carbon, and then need to repaint!

Doable, yes, and also probably very expensive.

Sott Element 6 carbon fiber finish vinyl wrap is supposed to have the 3D look of real carbon, so that might be a way to get the finish the TS wants without the major expense and delay. I've not seen the stuff, but "word on the street" is that it's superb. A local shop ordered in some samples for me, so I can report back; apparently it's backordered because it's light years better than anything else on the market.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Probably. CF is very similar to fiberglass and there needs to be a finished coat. There's no reason to spend the extra money on a nice finish knowing it's just going to be painted.

Madness Autoworks is a good first choice as a carbon fiber source for our cars:
https://madnessautoworks.com/index.php?route=common/home

Koshi has a good reputation:
https://www.koshigroup.com/
Madness is a Koshi distributor, but might not offer every single item.

edit:
Madness can do custom, one-off work. Contact them for more info.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The weave finish layer is part of the layup process, and Alfa is probably not spec'ing different layups for paint and naked, so the weave is likely there, under the paint.

That said, it would be a major bummer to strip, discover it's just UD carbon, and then need to repaint!

Doable, yes, and also probably very expensive.

Sott Element 6 carbon fiber finish vinyl wrap is supposed to have the 3D look of real carbon, so that might be a way to get the finish the TS wants without the major expense and delay. I've not seen the stuff, but "word on the street" is that it's superb. A local shop ordered in some samples for me, so I can report back; apparently it's backordered because it's light years better than anything else on the market.
That would be so... well err ... meta lol. Real carbon fiber painted over and faux cf vinyl applied on top. The great thing is the channels in the roof should make for a clean install and if you don’t like it the beauty of the wrap is just pull it off...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
That would be so... well err ... meta lol. Real carbon fiber painted over and faux cf vinyl applied on top. The great thing is the channels in the roof should make for a clean install and if you don’t like it the beauty of the wrap is just pull it off...
Yeah...I'm not saying I'd do it, but then I don't suppose the vinyl is any different from paint in terms of them both being cosmetic finishes.

If the painted CF panel is indeed different from the unpainted panel, it could be pretty unattractive, with seams and uneven coloration from the resin filler.

I've never heard of applying a weave layer on top of finished CF, so I'd be surprised if that were an option. I'm trying to imagine how that could be done in situ and properly finished, especially at the edges.

There used to be a product called CarbonLift or something that was for stripping paint from CF.

Again, not saying I'd do any of these things, but where there is a will (and enough money, there's a way!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well if you had the vinyl cf on the roof and anyone asked if it was real you could just say “yes the roof is real carbon fiber” and knock on it for affect. You’d be totally not lying...

Technically when you get a clear bra applied to your paint you’re no longer actually looking at actual paint, your just looking at plastic at that point...

Can you tell the hood and front fender have xpel though?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post on the forum
I just ordered a new 2018 Quadrifoglio last week. When you build the car on the Alfa site, it still shows up as a $2k option but does not show up on the dealer build software. They told me it's currently unavailable and not likely to become available anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
First post on the forum
I just ordered a new 2018 Quadrifoglio last week. When you build the car on the Alfa site, it still shows up as a $2k option but does not show up on the dealer build software. They told me it's currently unavailable and not likely to become available anytime soon.
Painted or unpainted? I'm pretty sure all Quads have a carbon fiber roof (standard), but it's painted.

Welcome to the forum :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts