Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to move the vehicle without starting (for any reason)
You have to unlock the transmission ( from P to N)
Procedure described in a manual, mentioning a lever under the central tunnel cover, is not true, at least for my car (no such lever)
Anyone did it ?
Detailed procedure ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's done from outside, under the car. You need to screw in a M6x1x32,3 screw (available from Alfa Romeo with part number 55280980) on the side of the gearbox.

thank you for your response
I checked my car and there is a lever like the one pictured, in my car.
So, alfa romeo expects that if, in a case of emergency, I need to move my car out of a corner or other dangerous zone immediately I should simply find the specific bolt, lay down in that dangerous zone, burn my hand on the exhaust pipe and thread the bolt.
As simple (and fast) as that...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I looked at the Owner's Manual, and there is very little information provided for how to properly tow a QV. The only thing it says is that it must be transported on a flatbed, but no information is provided for how to put the vehicle into neutral. If the engine and electrical system is not completely dead, then I did find a paragraph in the "Care and Cleaning" section of the manual, which stated the following:

If washing the car in a service that moves the car,
for cars with automatic transmissions, PARK (P) must
be cut out. You have to shut off the engine in the
following conditions: car stopped, transmission in
NEUTRAL (N), push the starter button for at least
three seconds.

But if the engine and electrical system happens to be completely dead, this procedure will not work. In that scenario the only option would be to do what MacGeek posted. I can't believe that this information is so difficult to find. Also, I don't even know if it is possible to install the screw that MacGeek described while the car is on the ground due to the low ground clearance. I would be interested in what other's have to say on this subject.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thank you for your response
I checked my car and there is a lever like the one pictured, in my car.
So, alfa romeo expects that if, in a case of emergency, I need to move my car out of a corner or other dangerous zone immediately I should simply find the specific bolt, lay down in that dangerous zone, burn my hand on the exhaust pipe and thread the bolt.
As simple (and fast) as that...
I guess that is the case. You may want to look into trading the car in and getting another vehicle.

Does anyone have a ZF equipped car that not Alfa? Does it have the same issue?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I brought this up a while ago. Tow company is supposed to have wheel dollies to lift the wheels off the ground and allow Giulia to be moved while it is in park.

I didn't get the picture before. I wonder how much force needs to be applied to that lever? Perhaps it is possible to rig up a cable to operate the lever if not too much force is involved?

This is a real safety issue that AR (and other companies?) should not be allowed to leave unaddressed.

It is also not obvious to me what happens if the engine stops running while the vehicle is moving (examples: loss of electrical power or out of fuel). Will the transmission stay in gear, allow a switch to neutral, do something extremely rude like engage park at speed, or something else?

·
Registered
279 Posts
5 series manual doesn't even have a section in it regarding this screw. But its only applicable if you have no electrical power - you can switch into neutral without starting the car, as long as you have electrical power. In the 5 series at least, you only get 15 minutes in this neutral mode before the car automatically engages park.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's done from outside, under the car. You need to screw in a M6x1x32,3 screw (available from Alfa Romeo with part number 55280980) on the side of the gearbox.

Thanks MacGeek. I wish I had of known this when my battery failed. I called my dealer (service) and FCA. The only thing they could tell me was, "It's impossible without starting the engine."

Not something that I'll ever need to use very often. Would be nice if I could just put in neutral and roll it a few feet (0.75 meters) without starting the engine.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the bolt was left in and the engine was started? Could it be put in gear and driven? Or would it remain in neutral until the bolt is removed?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wish I’d known this before the towies wrenched my locked car up onto a tow truck when the transmission chip failed. The auto shop showed them how when we got there through. Half a tow too late.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have asked about this, as well.
@ALFATECH, as well as the well trained technician at my local dealership have both stated that there is NO way to place the transmission into N from the cabin with the engine off. The engine must be running to select N, then open the door, then shut off engine.
I believe this to be a safety (lack of safety) issue.
I hope that NHTSA chimes in on this and forces manufactures to change this.
The inability to move an un-startable vehicle from a roadway is a safety concern.
My $.02

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
The inability to move an un-startable vehicle from a roadway is a safety concern.
Eventually one will be dragged or "bulldozed".

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have to try this in the BMW, I thought you could switch to neutral with the ignition ON but the engine not running.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just did some research - its bad, can't be done even on the BMW. You have to use the screw method. Forget about doing this roadside during a tow of a dead car, would have to dolly the wheels. Is the gearbox on the Alfa even accessible from below without removing a cover? Apparently years ago BMW had a procedure that used an internal release covered by the cupholder, but no more.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We had a tow recently for a flat. We had a specialty tow and I did get the drivers direct number for future reference for a flat tire so it can be delivered to a reasonable tire shop vs the dealership. ERA will only tow to a dealer but you may be able to convince them $$ to drop elsewhere. We have no idea what to happen if the QV was disabled on a highway. My guess is highway patrol is not going to care to much for how our cars get off the road they are going to get them off the road.

So this discussion has got me thinking. What happens if someone doesn't have a flatbed with wheel pads? Damage transmission?

I would not get under my car. I would but out the caution flags emergency blinkers and get the **** out of harms way. Drivers are supposed to be looking ahead of them and seeing if there are issues or is their head looking at carplay??

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
So this discussion has got me thinking. What happens if someone doesn't have a flatbed with wheel pads? Damage transmission?

I would not get under my car. I would but out the caution flags emergency blinkers and get the **** out of harms way. Drivers are supposed to be looking ahead of them and seeing if there are issues or is their head looking at carplay??
Transmission damage seems unlikely. Tire and maybe wheel damage however is pretty much a certainty if the car is dragged with the wheels locked. If the car is dragged on a flat tire the chance of scraping some part of the cars undercarriage on the tow truck's ramp is also significant. Getting under the car really isn't an option unless you carry a very low profile jack.

I am back to wondering how much force is needed on that lever to move it. If it is not excessive it sure looks like a cable could be rigged up to move the lever while not interfering with the normal movement of the lever.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Transmission damage seems unlikely. Tire and maybe wheel damage however is pretty much a certainty if the car is dragged with the wheels locked. If the car is dragged on a flat tire the chance of scraping some part of the cars undercarriage on the tow truck's ramp is also significant. Getting under the car really isn't an option unless you carry a very low profile jack.

I am back to wondering how much force is needed on that lever to move it. If it is not excessive it sure looks like a cable could be rigged up to move the lever while not interfering with the normal movement of the lever.
Okay. Sounds like someone has to get out there and try it.....Not me it is hotter than **** here.....

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How about a small 12V servo motor to run the 6mm bolt upward?
It could be mounted in a convenient place, switched from the cockpit or engine compartment, and would drive the bolt through a semi rigid flexible cable.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
How about a small 12V servo motor to run the 6mm bolt upward?
It could be mounted in a convenient place, switched from the cockpit or engine compartment, and would drive the bolt through a semi rigid flexible cable.
Nice!

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Here is what once was implemented:

https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20121010/WebFiles/MMM_ZF_8HP_Tranny.pdf

See pages 9 and 10

Also note the pressure storage unit on page 11 for start-stop. Another 2.5 pounds of weight beyond the heavy duty alternator, heavy duty starter, and extra large battery. It would be worth it if it made launching faster, but it apparently does not.

I think this is all for 1st generation ZF 8speeds, while Giulia has the 2nd generation unit.

BMW owners have the same complaint. ZF is the root source of the fault:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134025

All of which begs the question: how did this get past NHTSA and the equivalent European agencies?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts