Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport. I love the look, the interior and the handling, but I hate to say it, but in the first 24 hours I find the seats and the ride a bit uncomfortable. I know that being a Giulia forum I should only be praising the car but I am kind of freaking out now. I came from a Hyundai Genesis which is a luxury cruiser so I know it is not fair to compare, but I feel every bump. Sometimes it feels like there is very little suspension at all. The seats also seem hard and even with adjustable bolsters I need to stretch when I get out. Anyone have ideas of how I can make the ride feel a little smoother?

·
Registered
57 Posts
These are completely different cars and there really is no comparison to be had in terms of suspension setup and seat comfort. The genesis in addition to the incredibly padded luxury seats has a soft suspension setup. This car has sport seats and a suspension that is setup for performance (although I find it fairly comfortable in the soft setting).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I actually looked at a genesis because of the deals available for the last hyundai branded MY. When my wife saw it she said it looks like an old man's car. I thought it was an incredible car for the price but too big and soft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! Personally don't have that issue (from a 6ft 2" guy) but then i'm used to sport suspension. Do you have active suspension in your car? If so maybe try the different modes and see if that gives you a less bumpy ride?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have bought the wrong car for your needs..... I would look at a Cadillac ATS
The Giulia is a sport sedan........

Reactions: Wilkinda65

·
Registered
43 Posts
I came from a Mercedes CLA250 Sport and the suspension was tight and stiff. Riding in the Giulia with base seats gives me a very comfortable ride compared to the CLA.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport. I love the look, the interior and the handling, but I hate to say it, but in the first 24 hours I find the seats and the ride a bit uncomfortable. I know that being a Giulia forum I should only be praising the car but I am kind of freaking out now. I came from a Hyundai Genesis which is a luxury cruiser so I know it is not fair to compare, but I feel every bump. Sometimes it feels like there is very little suspension at all. The seats also seem hard and even with adjustable bolsters I need to stretch when I get out. Anyone have ideas of how I can make the ride feel a little smoother?
I come from a 1999 Mazda Protege. I find the stiffness of my Giulia Sport Q4 with active suspension to be comparable, although Giulia exhibits a lot less body roll than the Protege and feels way more "connected" to the road.

Some while ago, Cadillac published an article about perceived ride harshness. They found that road noise had more to do with the perception of ride harshness than the vibration transmitted through the suspension. Giulia does have quite a bit of road noise, fairly similar to my Protege (engine, transmission and wind noise are all considerably lower in Giulia than Protege). Tires with more sidewall will be quieter.

What tires/wheels do you have? 18" wheels should make less noise and absorb more vibration than 19" wheels. 17" can be fit even though they are not available as stock on a US spec car. IIRC, Eagle7 is running 17" wheels on his car.
What seats do you have? The sport seats are intentionally snug.
Do you have the optional adaptive suspension? The adaptive suspension is softer than the standard suspension.

Except for the wheels and tires I do not think there is any practical way to change things to soften the ride. I think there are some after market suspension components available for the standard suspension, but they are oriented around lowering the car and stiffening the suspension.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I felt the same on day 1 - and then bit by bit the sport seats softened and I learned how to use the bolsters... after a year they are by far the best seats I've ever had..

as far as a rough ride.... if you have the P7 Cinturatos that may be a good part of it... I don't find the ride harsh but others on the forum have spoken how changing tires made the ride much better.. Best of luck to you..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone who responded. Great advice. I will get used to it. It's my own fault. I test drove the car and was enamored by the steering and quickness. Plus it is so **** pretty. Its just a different ride. I do have active suspension but I'm not sure what that means.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks everyone who responded. Great advice. I will get used to it. It's my own fault. I test drove the car and was enamored by the steering and quickness. Plus it is so **** pretty. Its just a different ride. I do have active suspension but I'm not sure what that means.
It can only be manually adjusted in D mode. When you first switch to D mode it changes to the stiffer setting and the shock on the dial will be lit up. If you push the button in the center of the DNA selector while in D mode it will change from stiff to soft. Nice to be able to have it in D mode with the softer setting when crusing on straight sections and then switch back to take the corners.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
The active suspension dynamically adjusts the damping rate based on measurements of the movement of the suspension. This allows a softer ride with less wallowing compared to conventional suspension. I believe that A, N and D-soft are all the same and softer than the standard suspension, while D-hard (the default setting for D) is stiffer. Find a curvy road and put it in D-hard and you will think you are in a high performance sports car, not a sport-sedan.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you are running on run flat tires, that might be a big part of it. Besides suggesting to switch to normal all weathers which have softer sidewalls, you can try to lower the tire pressure a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Like someone else said, make sure the tire pressure is correct since many new Giulias were delivered at 50+ psi which will feel very hard ride. Also if you want to go softer, you can look for the 17" wheels which were standard size on the 2017 base model (that is what I have and they ride great)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ditto on the overfilled tires, mine were all in the 4 + atmospheres or 55+ PSI when I picked it up. The ride was so harsh I began to think I had made a terrible mistake all the way home. The first thing I did was checked the pressure. It was in atmosphere so I had to try to find out how to change it to PSI and then let some air out.

A few days later I took it back to the dealer for a problem and they gave me a Sport loaner. I checked the air pressure on the loaners tires and found them to be in the high 50PSI ranges.

Maybe this could be part of the issue with others finding the ride too harsh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tested a Ti Sport and fell in love with the car based on the look (the one we looked at was in Montecarlo blue over tan leather with the Ti leather package, and was seriously the sexiest sedan I've ever seen) and the handling on back country roads. However, I also commute over roads that look like they've been in a war, and while I'm in my 30s and can deal with it, I found that even in my old GTI the whomping of thin sidewalls over potholes gets tiresome (and makes my dog throw up). So before I signed the P&S, we went back to the dealer and test-drove the Ti Sport and two other models with different wheel and suspension combos over the worst stretch of pockmarked **** road I know. It turned out that the 19-inch wheels in the Ti Sport really do impact the ride, and that the 18s in the Ti Lusso (with the dynamic suspension) settle the car down quite a bit and make for a much more comfortable day-to-day. This meant I had to give up my sexy dream car, but the Vesuvio Gray over crema leather Ti Lusso I ended up with is still a nice-looking ride.

The good news for you is that you may be able to fix this by swapping out the wheels. I'd call back your dealer and ask if they'd let you take a Giulia with 18-inch wheels for a spin, and if you find that it makes a noticeable difference, see if you can find someone with a base Sport model willing to swap their 18s for your 19s, or just buy your own set of 18-inch wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Small world...Njmander is the owner who let me test drive his car yesterday! He said he is now enjoying the seats, IMHO they are better than the sport seats in my 135i.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For what it's worth, I test drove all three of the seats available in the Ti, for almost 200 miles. Base, Sport, Lusso. Long story short, I ordered all the sport options except the sport seats. Sport seats felt great, for about 30 minutes. Got the Lusso seats.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts