Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel really dumb asking this at this point, but I searched, Googled, and read the owners manual and couldn't figure it out. How the heck do I put my Giulia into neutral?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
At least while moving in D you do not need to put your foot on the brake to get into neutral. You will need to put your foot on the brake to get back into D, even if you are still moving.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When in park, pull the shifter back, without pulling the bottom button underneath. Took me 7 months to figure it out.

Reactions: DEEZZ

·
Registered
256 Posts
When in park, pull the shifter back, without pulling the bottom button underneath. Took me 7 months to figure it out.
Just saw you got it. 0:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
This could be regional software dependent, but if you have the flappy pedals on the wheel, if you pull on both of them together it should shift the car to neutral. Pull on the +, and it goes to D.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
This could be regional software dependent, but if you have the flappy pedals on the wheel, if you pull on both of them together it should shift the car to neutral. Pull on the +, and it goes to D.
That does not work in litigious happy USA. It might work everywhere else, I dunno.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That does not work in litigious happy USA. It might work everywhere else, I dunno.
So now if you drive a strange car you not only have to figure out how it operates depending on the brand or model, it also depends on where it was made! If this keeps up, rental car companies will require that you watch a 15 minute video before giving you a car.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
At least while moving in D you do not need to put your foot on the brake to get into neutral. You will need to put your foot on the brake to get back into D, even if you are still moving.
Not in my car. Just holding the lever forward for a second gets neutral, and pulling it back returns the transmission to drive. No buttons or pedals needed.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I wish.......:crying:

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Do people put in neutral to save gas, facilitate the towing process or to rev the engine in a show off way?

It's a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer........:grin2:

Reactions: Chramon

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nope, goes into reverse, no matter how gently I nudge it forward. It's a QV, if that matters.

Edit: I figured it out. Don't squeeze the button on the gear lever. Thanks for the help.
So, have you figured out how to get it - keep it in neutral with the engine off?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Do people put in neutral to save gas, facilitate the towing process or to rev the engine in a show off way?

It's a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer........:grin2:
Oh, but I want to answer. Maybe someone will even collect responses and put together a database.

I typically put my car in neutral while waiting in line on level or slightly inclined surfaces. Better than putting her in park and more comfortable than keeping a foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh, but I want to answer. Maybe someone will even collect responses and put together a database.

I typically put my car in neutral while waiting in line on level or slightly inclined surfaces. Better than putting her in park and more comfortable than keeping a foot on the brake pedal.
Riiighttttt.......LOL

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I shift into neutral to make stopping smoother, save gas, and because driving in town safely is SOOOOO boring.

I see that when moving at more than 5MPH pulling back on the shift lever goes into D. The need to brake issue that I ran into was for the case of a traffic light changing right as I pull up, so maybe there is a minimum speed of a few MPH before that will work?

I also checked and pulling the + paddle while in N does not shift to D in my car. I wonder if Multiecuscan can flip a flag some where and enable the Euro paddle controls?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
So, have you figured out how to get it - keep it in neutral with the engine off?
Screw a bolt into the port for that purpose on the side of the transmission.

I gather that hydraulic pressure from the pump inside the transmission is needed to hold the transmission out of park. If correct, there is no electronic means to disengage park without the engine running. Maybe a hollow bolt with a pin down the middle and a lever + cable in the above service port could do the trick?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not in my car. Just holding the lever forward for a second gets neutral, and pulling it back returns the transmission to drive. No buttons or pedals needed.
I second this!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I only need to put it in neutral when I want to rev the engine. Either to hear it myself (cuz it gives me testosterone-chills) or as I'm rolling past someone I know to share the pleasure.

How do I get around the rev limiter?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts