Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I guess I didn’t pay enough attention to my front side parking sensor. ?. Any suggestions on best way to fix it? It’s a QV and I am coming up on my 10,000 mile service, do I bite the bullet and have the dealer fix it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Looks like an abrasive scrape against something obviously. How deep is it? Look like if you dragged a fingernail across it from left to right that you'd be able to feel the scars, right?

I'd still try to wet-sand and buff and buff before re-painting. If the scratch is only through the clear and not into the plastic (past the rosso), it may turn out fairly nice. The good news is that the coating on the carbon fiber lip is quite thick (thicker than the paint clearcoat anyway). That may clean up better than the paint.

An expert paint correction detailer might spend an hour on it and may be able to repair and disguise it. The front lip drops down a bit with the removal of (2) 13mm nuts from underneath.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah I only see plastic at the edge near the carbon. Clear it up well and wet sand it a bit. If you get some improvement. Maybe apply some filler and sand it some more. Work around the character lines and mask there too. It should save over sanding marks. That's a relatively small area and without damage to say fiberglass or the like. A full on pro job might not be worth it. Not sure if rattle cans are available from Mopar yet. Paint pen works well.

I found another chip on my drivers rear fender flare, above the side skirt. Should really have that wrapped too but have an idea to do it myself. Just ordered my own Xpel roll online.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks like a job for a pro. I wouldn't mess with it. I usually make stuff like that worse>:)

Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
619 Posts
good advice from all. if the damage is mostly a scuff and requires only a bit of touch -up...the forfew posts are helpful.

if the damage is a bit more than a scuff...alfa55 is correct. take it to a pro and see if they can blend the paint in the small area and avoid a total repaint if you can.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Seeing the post-wash paint you can see some areas have gone through the clear. If it were my car I'd use touch up paint to fill the biggest lines of the scratch (at least the deepest) and then use a course polish like Menzerna 300 followed by a finer polish like Menzerna 3500 with a random-orbital. Maybe even a wet-sand at 2000-2500 grit before polish. Doing this I've made things like this nearly invisible. It takes the eyes of a jeweler and perfectionist to do but it is possible. The carbon lip I'd just polish and see what you get. Because you're on a curved surface and need fairly extensive polishing this is not the best time to practice if you've never done this before. I'm on the opposite coast from you so can't help but if you hate the scratch have a local detailer set to work on it....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Seeing the post-wash paint you can see some areas have gone through the clear. If it were my car I'd use touch up paint to fill the biggest lines of the scratch (at least the deepest) and then use a course polish like Menzerna 300 followed by a finer polish like Menzerna 3500 with a random-orbital. Maybe even a wet-sand at 2000-2500 grit before polish. Doing this I've made things like this nearly invisible. It takes the eyes of a jeweler and perfectionist to do but it is possible. The carbon lip I'd just polish and see what you get. Because you're on a curved surface and need fairly extensive polishing this is not the best time to practice if you've never done this before. I'm on the opposite coast from you so can't help but if you hate the scratch have a local detailer set to work on it....
Yeah, local detailer or local body shop. Perhaps your dealer--depending on its competence.

And man, that sucks. Happens to everyone!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts

what ^^^^said....that would bother the crap out of me...knowing it's there....I'm OCD like that with my cars...
a very good detailing place should be able to fix that (body paint).....
my heart stops when I have to park the car nose in and they have those cement rails in front:p

·
Registered
276 Posts
what ^^^^said....that would bother the crap out of me...knowing it's there....I'm OCD like that with my cars...
a very good detailing place should be able to fix that (body paint).....
my heart stops when I have to park the car nose in and they have those cement rails in front:p

yup... This! Just knowing that was like that would bother the ***T out of me. My son has this type of scrape on his Camaro and although he cleaned it up pretty well it still bothers the ***T out of me that it's there.

It will cost a pretty penny to get that fixed. I had my Giulia for a week and took one on the chin on the highway. some road debris got kicked up by a pickup in front of me and scraped the side of my front quarter panel. Funny when it happened my my wife was in the car and she knew not to say a word, not to even speak to me about it. Body shop gave me an estimate of about $700 to fix. Fortunately i have the volcano black metallic color and touch up paint worked well enough that i don't see it because it's pretty low. Alfa didn't even have touch up paint available when this happened and i had to go to a car paint shop to have the color mixed. Didn't even remember it was there until i went in for my first oil change a month ago and the service guy said "hey you know you have a scrape down here"? Thanks for reminding me.:frown2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.