Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many Giulia owners have bemoaned the frequent, irritating, "unnecessary", intrusion of electronic nannies. The Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control frequently hamper acceleration and interrupt cornering in what seems to be a very agile, responsive Italian Sports sedan. It is especially noticeable on cold pavement with cold tires. Even a white line at a stop sign is "slick" enough to activate the systems. My car, like most, does NOT have a LSD. (RWD Ti) It is equipped with the standard open differential, which essential makes this car a 1 wheel-drive machine under slippery conditions, and agressive cornering.
...Which leads me to the conclusion that if the nannies were to be turned off, this 300ft-lb beast would spin its right rear tire until it fell off the rim.
For most drivers, loss of TC and ESC would probably result in unexpected levels of one wheel spinning, and unexpected loss of traction from the rear axle. This causes more side-stepping and spins.
I suspect that the ease of throttle oversteer in a RWD car without LSD led the Alfa Romeo engineers to eliminate a TC defeat mode for the RWD cars. This car would probably be twitchy without nannies. You owners with LSD's may not be bothered by the TC and ESC as much as base model and non-sport package owners. Be glad if you have the LSD, it keeps the nannies at bay.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I feel for you guys..... I have a QV and can be in total control of the car..... but if I had to buy a 2.0 Giulia, the TC would probably be a deal breaker for me.....
AR has to do something to allow to disable it or at least minimize its intervention in the 2.0

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I'm happy to have them. I just want to have the option of disabling them at times (preferably independently). I wouldn't even mind if they both came on at every start the way stop/start does.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You are correct. I'm not totally against TC, but ours is too invasive. It would be so much better if instead of cutting the power off for 2 seconds, it did it for 0.2 seconds or in short repeated intervals until traction is reestablished. I still hope someone comes up with a way to disable it, many people including myself would pay good money for it.
In the meantime, I ordered QV wheels. I think that putting 285 performance tires versus the stock 225 allseason will make the rear end stick and dramatically reduce the nanny intervention.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Many Giulia owners have bemoaned the frequent, irritating, "unnecessary", intrusion of electronic nannies. The Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control frequently hamper acceleration and interrupt cornering in what seems to be a very agile, responsive Italian Sports sedan. It is especially noticeable on cold pavement with cold tires. Even a white line at a stop sign is "slick" enough to activate the systems. My car, like most, does NOT have a LSD. (RWD Ti) It is equipped with the standard open differential, which essential makes this car a 1 wheel-drive machine under slippery conditions, and agressive cornering.
...Which leads me to the conclusion that if the nannies were to be turned off, this 300ft-lb beast would spin its right rear tire until it fell off the rim.
For most drivers, loss of TC and ESC would probably result in unexpected levels of one wheel spinning, and unexpected loss of traction from the rear axle. This causes more side-stepping and spins.
I suspect that the ease of throttle oversteer in a RWD car without LSD led the Alfa Romeo engineers to eliminate a TC defeat mode for the RWD cars. This car would probably be twitchy without nannies. You owners with LSD's may not be bothered by the TC and ESC as much as base model and non-sport package owners. Be glad if you have the LSD, it keeps the nannies at bay.
Can't say that I agree with that as I have a BMW 135i whose 6 cylinder turbo is tuned to notably more HP and Torque than my Alfa, as well as being lighter in weight. It has no LSD but it does have the ability to turn the nannies off. I've run it w/o the electronics at club events, (auto cross and schools) as well as occasionally on the street and don't have the issues you describe. Yes, it can spin its one wheel drive drive train easily but its never a surprise or a problem. Maybe the Pilot SS tires keep it in check. Considering that I feel my Giulia has more nimble handling than the 135, I don't see that unpredictable issues would happen if Alfa gave us the switch that most other European cars have.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
70amp abs module fuse, lose all electronics like powersteering modes still works though, no power brakes, no abs, no ecs, check engine light, only drivers side window works, climate and music goes haywire, no tire pressure, ect wouldnt recomend it to drive on roads, just because of hard braking, but for hooning is fine

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Ti AWD with LSD and have yet to see a TC or ESC warning. This includes auto-crossing the car (and winning a trophy) and driving on an icy parking lot where I tried to invoke the nannies. I'm able to break the rear end traction for a nice drift but the front just pulls in the direction the wheels are pointing - no counter steer required. LSD makes the rear end easier to break loose as both wheels slip rather than the inside wheel just spinning while the outside wheel rolls along.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I have a Ti AWD with LSD and have yet to see a TC or ESC warning.
I have seen what can perhaps be best described as a brief "flicker" of a warning lamp. More testing is needed, in a space free of obstacles where I can devote part of my attention to the instrument cluster.

Your description of the front tires action is consistent with the last several AWD cars I've had. So no worries about "tank slapping"?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a Ti RWD with LSD and Aaptive Dampers and never once had TC kick in, even in sprited diving on wet roads.
Are you sure about that? If you're looking for the light to come out you won't see one, many of our cars don't show any sign of TC kicking in other than the feeling of power being cut. OEM tires are very slippery in the wet...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you sure about that? If you're looking for the light to come out you won't see one, many of our cars don't show any sign of TC kicking in other than the feeling of power being cut. OEM tires are very slippery in the wet...
Well, I guess I’ve never seen any light come on, but I also can’t say I felt any discernible decrease in power. Perhaps for a fraction of a second but not for seconds as others mention.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
70amp abs module fuse, lose all electronics like powersteering modes still works though, no power brakes, no abs, no ecs, check engine light, only drivers side window works, climate and music goes haywire, no tire pressure, ect wouldnt recomend it to drive on roads, just because of hard braking, but for hooning is fine
Perhaps disconnecting one or more of the CAN bus wires from the brake unit would disable traction control with fewer side effects? Maybe leaving ABS and power brakes functional?
Your demonstration seems to indicate that the wheel sensors feed through the brake unit.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Perhaps disconnecting one or more of the CAN bus wires from the brake unit would disable traction control with fewer side effects? Maybe leaving ABS and power brakes functional?
Your demonstration seems to indicate that the wheel sensors feed through the brake unit.
for next stage ill try just to disconnect the abs module not by fuse but via connector, that 70amp fuse controls more than abs module i think

·
Registered
592 Posts
I test drove two Giulia Ti Sport AWD cars back to back, one with the Ti Performance Package and one without. In my short test drive I could discern very little difference between the various damper settings for the so-called "Active Suspension," nor did I feel there was a big difference between the two cars in terms of ride comfort/handling balance. I'm sure a lot more seat time over varied road conditions might better illuminate the differences.

However, I could immediately discern the benefit of the mechanical limited slip differential. During my test drive I made a sharp 90* right hand uphill turn from a dead stop at an intersection and accelerated full throttle. On cold, dry pavement there was a slight chirp of the rear tires, then I could feel the LSD locking up (the amount of lock quickly alternating as the multi-plate clutches engaged/disengaged and the tires scrabbled for grip over bumps in the pavement) and the center differential transferring some power to the front wheels. In fact, it felt a little bit violent as the car managed available traction at all 4 corners best it could and the LSD rear differential, center differential and TCS duked it out to see who was better at controlling the situation. The car accelerated very quickly.

In the non-LSD equipped car, the same move resulted in the same slight chirp of the rear tires and the same sensation of the center differential transferring some power to the front wheels. However, there was a slight, momentary flicker of the ESC light and a slightly softer (read slower) acceleration. But it was still very quick. We're talking shades of gray differences. Again, more seat time might further illuminate differences. Alas, I don't autocross anymore and I'm never taking this car to the race track. My wife would smack me if I ever drove like that with her in the car, and given this is my daily driver I surmised I shouldn't really be hooning like that on public streets anyhow. So for me, having to pick and choose amongst dealer inventory, none of which matched my ideal car, I decided that Alfa Rosso was more important to me than the Ti Performance Pack.

The Brake Limited Differential (BLD) function, while no mechanical LSD, works well enough for me under the vast majority of circumstances I'm likely to encounter given the way I drive most often. I don't even mind that I can't turn off ESC and TSC. With 50/50 weight distribution and a RWD biased AWD system, the car handles great right out of the box and is plenty quick enough as is for semi-responsible spirited driving on public roadways. I have other toys if I want to go to the race track or do donuts or slide corners with the tail hanging out. The car still rockets away from a stoplight with a little left foot braking action to allow the boost to build before sidestepping the brake pedal and launching the car like they do in the magazine tests. Without a dedicated launch control program, I wonder more about how much wear and tear I'm putting on the car to achieve rated 0-60mph acceleration figures than I do about whether I could be having more fun with greater wheel slip.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
to the OP's original comments about "one wheel drive", that was the norm, for pretty much forever - and even most big engine fast american cars didn't have positraction, limited slip etc.

although lsd is preferable, not having it is not that big of an issue for most people. be Leary of those insisting on lsd for all haha

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
to the OP's original comments about "one wheel drive", that was the norm, for pretty much forever - and even most big engine fast american cars didn't have positraction, limited slip etc.

although lsd is preferable, not having it is not that big of an issue for most people. be Leary of those insisting on lsd for all haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
TiSpdDmn
Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
We’re the top forum to discuss Alfa Romeo Giulia’s seductive styling, luxury and race level performance.
Full Forum Listing