Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the titles suggests, some of us have had errors of different types. One of the suggestions was that pressing both the brake and throttle at the same time might be causing problems.

I have 450 miles on my Ti with no issues as of yet. I decided to do a scientific experiment. While driving, I pushed down on the brake while also holding the throttle. BANG! She failed.

Model and options might be of importance, so, I have a Ti with the Q2 pack. This is LSD, active suspension and paddles. I also have the static driver's assist package. I do have the Lusso pack, but kind of doubt that effects this. I also have the HK stereo upgrade and Nav unit, but I kind think that's not a variable either. I have not had any mods done to the car.

The engine cut power. It did not turn off, I did not loose my power steering, brakes, or control. With more experimentation later, it cut power back to an idle. This in itself is probably a built in safety feature. Releasing the brake restored power to the engine.

It is odd though, that at a full stop with the brake on, I can get on the throttle without and errors. She does not cut power. She just loads up the torque converter.

So, the first time I tried this, the dash displayed that there was a problem with the "throttle controller". I can't remember the exact words and I can't take a picture while driving. It only lasts a few seconds, but was consistent over the six stops I did.

The first time, what followed was the dash telling me the Auto Start System was unavailable. There was a huge yellow circle A centered in the display. That never repeated itself, but the Auto Start has not been restored to normal either.

I was near home (intentional) and parked it leaving the engine on. Hooked up my Bluetooth OBDII reader which is paired to my phone. But I've only used it in the 4C, never the Giulia. It would not connect to the car. I turned off the engine and restarted the engine which allowed the OBDII reader to connect to the car.

When I restarted the car, many things flashed telling me this and that were unavailable.
- ESC system
- Active Suspension
- Service Engine
- Service a few other things I can't remember
- A few other systems failed that I can't remember

But, the OBDII started working. I read the fault codes and looked at the other info I could.

Thinking that just maybe the OBDII unit conflicted with the Giulia, I disconnected that and restarted the car. No matter how I did it, I couldn't replicate the first and second array of multiple warnings.

I took here for a drive around the block, everything seemed to work fine, except Auto Start. Each time I two-footed her while driving, she got angry and pouted "Throttle Controller" failed.

When I got back home I now had a third error code. There probably are more error codes that only the dealer can read.

- U0415
- U0001
- P1db3

Of course it's late enough in the day that my dealer service is closed until Monday. The good news is they're only four miles away and I can drive there. I don't need to be flat-bedded this time (4C transmission issues).

The P codes are public code that have something to do with the engine. P codes, by law, are public. These definitions are consistent across all manufactures.

All other codes are manufacture private. Each manufacture has there own variation and try to hide every instance of these from the public.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Excellent RacerZ! I knew we were on to something. Good going with the OBD2 codes as well. This is a big development and helps a lot. I am pretty sure you have found a good portion of the problems people have posted with the throttle error message. Yellow circle and power reduction. Good luck with service and I think you should be able to drive regardless. Just reset the car as you have. Probably a combination of electronic braking, throttle, and collision avoidance if installed.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Z,
The "P" prefix, for codes, stands for POWERTRAIN.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
U0001 powertrain can-bus error

U0415 ABS data error

P1dB3 is a manufacturer code

Can you clear the codes?

They probably won't return until both pedals are used simultaneously again.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

U0415 ABS data error

Can you clear the codes?

I have not tried to clear the codes. This device could not clear the codes on my 4C. Besides, I'd rather the dealer read the codes and pass them on up the food chain. The more data they receive, the better they can deal with it. If enough cars have the same problem, epidemic proportions, they'll be forced into addressing that much sooner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As pointed out elsewhere previously, I think there's already a software update that addresses this. You could ask someone in Europe who's had their car fully updated (they'll know about it, it takes a day) to try your experiment.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,915 Posts
The first time, what followed was the dash telling me the Auto Start System was unavailable. There was a huge yellow circle A centered in the display. That never repeated itself, but the Auto Start has not been restored to normal either.
Am I reading this right, and you found a way to persistently disable auto start/stop?

Did the car function normally after you completed your experiments? I think you said that, but I want to be sure.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
In the my Porsche if you depress brake and accelerator at the same time longer than 3 seconds, the power cuts off....... is it instantaneous in the Giulia?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I reading this right, and you found a way to persistently disable auto start/stop?

Did the car function normally after you completed your experiments? I think you said that, but I want to be sure.
It would seem to be so.

Auto Start is disabled upon restart. The car seems to function correctly. The service engine symbol is on permanently now. I know nothing broke, it's a software glitch.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the my Porsche if you depress brake and accelerator at the same time longer than 3 seconds, the power cuts off....... is it instantaneous in the Giulia?
It was not an instant reaction. About 3 seconds, maybe 4 or 5. Six attempts, six identical results.

The power cut, I can see as a built in safety thing, so we don't get run-away-Toyotas.
The array of flashing lights, that's just not acceptable.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks Racer Z for trying this and relaying the info.

:smile2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It would seem to be so.

Auto Start is disabled upon restart. The car seems to function correctly. The service engine symbol is on permanently now. I know nothing broke, it's a software glitch.
After indtalling the TDI Tune box I had a variety of codes. Disconnected Battery for 5 min, then every code imaginable was displayed. But after 2 engine cycles they all cleared.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

U0415 ABS data error

Can you clear the codes?

I have not tried to clear the codes. This device could not clear the codes on my 4C. Besides, I'd rather the dealer read the codes and pass them on up the food chain. The more data they receive, the better they can deal with it. If enough cars have the same problem, epidemic proportions, they'll be forced into addressing that much sooner.

I cleared the codes today. Torque Lite (free) couldn't do it. Piston cleared the codes. Both apps still show the codes as a current fault in the ECU, but the car doesn't have any error lights on now.

I'm still going to the dealer Monday. It will be easy to fault the car again.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The scientific experiment continues...

I went to my local AR dealer today. They read the codes and without knowing what I did, said,
"Don't tell me you pressed both pedals at the same time."
"Why would you do such a thing?"
"Why would you want to do a scientific experiment?"
"Don't do that again!"

Turns out this is a known issue, at my dealer and AR Italy. The first Giulia they sold, the second day of ownership, owner accidentally stepped on both pedals.

There is a patch that's suppose to address this, or parts of it. It was applied to my car by my dealer before I took delivery and all cars made after mine include this at Cassino. I mentioned that it needs more work and was told that AR doesn't seem to care. "Italians don't drive this way. They will just have to learn to drive like Italians."

They cleared thirty five (35) error codes. I had forgot to remove my OBDII Bluetooth reader and was told that leaving it attached will cause problems. Was also told that starting and driving the car three time should clear the warning lights if the problem has gone away.

So, the bottom line is:

Don't do that again...

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Wow this is fantastic, for the most part, haha.

"What's a matter you, gotta no repsect..."

:D Good news.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.