Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just two days after getting my pre-owned 2017 (8,000 miles), I am getting a "Start/Stop Unavailable" error light. I do not have any other warnings (like check engine), and the car will move between the different DNA settings. (The car has 1/2 tank of gas). I have stopped and restarted about a dozen times, but the warning always comes back.

I live about 30 miles from the dealership, so I would like to at least be able to try reading and resetting codes before taking the car in for service. Can anyone recommend a scanning tool that works with the car? I saw that the Multiecuscan tool supports the Giulia (at least on models outside the U.S.). If anyone has had experience with that or another appropriate tool, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Check out the below video for more details on start/stop.

At your convenience, take your car to the dealership to ensure you have all updates for your car. There are many posts on this.

There are condition will start/stop will be unavailable by design.
Example:
Engine not at operating temp
Brake pedal not pressed with sufficient pressure
High blower speed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure both latches are locked on your hood. Option 2, there’s a software update to address this
Hood it was. I probably would have gone with a warning light that said something like, "Check hood latches," but I guess the start/stop thing is clear enough. :smile2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Check out the below video for more details on start/stop.

At your convenience, take your car to the dealership to ensure you have all updates for your car. There are many posts on this.

There are condition will start/stop will be unavailable by design.
Example:
Engine not at operating temp
Brake pedal not pressed with sufficient pressure
High blower speed
Thank you. The Alfa dealer where I bought swore up and down that all the software updates have been done.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Search is your friend young Alfista!

Hood it was. I probably would have gone with a warning light that said something like, "Check hood latches," but I guess the start/stop thing is clear enough. :smile2:
actually it makes sense....don't think you or anyone would want to drive their car with the hood not securely "latched"...could make for an interesting drive.:grin2:
do yourself a favor and use the search forum here for the RRTs & TSBs threads...and with those items, actually visit your dealer to see if your 2017 has been updated with all the software flashes etc. because if it hasn't you will probably be on here again:grin2:
there are things that are unique to the Giulia base, Giulia Ti & QV etc.
enjoy the new ride!
M

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually it makes sense....don't think you or anyone would want to drive their car with the hood not securely "latched"...could make for an interesting drive.:grin2:
do yourself a favor and use the search forum here for the RRTs & TSBs threads...and with those items, actually visit your dealer to see if your 2017 has been updated with all the software flashes etc. because if it hasn't you will probably be on here again:grin2:
enjoy the new ride!
M
Thanks. I have been trying to see all of the types of things that might go wrong. Before posting, I found threads discussing the start/stop warning, but they described that warning in connection with low-fuel levels, check-engine light on, and an inability to move between DNA settings (none of which applied to my condition).

I didn't see one about the hood latches, but I should have thought about that, as my daughter's Audi Q5 doesn't allow you to access the oil-level monitoring system if the hood latch is not engaged (even though it is normally just a problem with the hood-latch sensor rather than the latch not being engaged).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
I have an MY2018 and according to the owner's manual there is a hood not latched properly indicator light.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
enjoy the new ride!
M
Agreed, although you need to know first if it is TSB related :)

Reactions: MDriver
1 - 10 of 10 Posts