Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any details on the maker and size of the turbo in the 2.0T?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for sharing that PDF. I've been wondering what kind of turbo upgrades I could pull off but the electronic wastegate and bypass valve makes things a bit more tricky. I'd give up some lag to have more up top if I could safely rev the engine higher. I think the rev limit is more of a turbo airflow limitation than it is the motor itself.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
I was told by multiple sources that the turbo is made by IHI. Is that the same as Honeywell?

The ECU wants to control the air flow, engine RPM and air pressure. Unless you can alter these parameters in your ECU you will not be able to see significant gains other than altering response times by changing the turbo charger. A more efficient turbo charger (if such exists) might give you some power gain. Smaller turbos can spin up faster, while larger turbos can produce more volume of air at high pressure. To determine if altering the turbo can improve high RPM power you can simply check how much boost the turbo produces at peak pressure versus the redline.

The red line is quite possibly dictated by the valve train rather than the limitations of the turbo charger. That may also be true regarding the drop off in power at high RPM.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I was told by multiple sources that the turbo is made by IHI. Is that the same as Honeywell?

The ECU wants to control the air flow, engine RPM and air pressure. Unless you can alter these parameters in your ECU you will not be able to see significant gains other than altering response times by changing the turbo charger. A more efficient turbo charger (if such exists) might give you some power gain. Smaller turbos can spin up faster, while larger turbos can produce more volume of air at high pressure. To determine if altering the turbo can improve high RPM power you can simply check how much boost the turbo produces at peak pressure versus the redline.

The red line is quite possibly dictated by the valve train rather than the limitations of the turbo charger. That may also be true regarding the drop off in power at high RPM.

same company IHI, that FI'd the wonderful 288GTO:grin2: they are a Japanese company I believe.:wink2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, IHI makes great turbos. My previous ride, a Nissan GTR, used IHI turbos too... Similar to the Giulia QV.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Reactions: gregc57

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
same company IHI, that FI'd the wonderful 288GTO:grin2: they are a Japanese company I believe.:wink2:
Indeed, former Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts