Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a bit of a smell even after a short drive - pop the hood and had a look at this. I have had this reservoir replaced for leaking already but the leak is obviously not coming from a crack in the container seal. It’s well below min. Had the the O-ring done at McCarrols in Sydney recently but maybe it’s not really fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
1,953 Posts
bjb,
that is the high temp reservoir, its not the turbo cooling one - the turbo is the low temperature reservoir and it is the one behind the headlight - that reservoir has nothing to do with the O ring, but check it anyway

i have had two of those tanks pictured replaced twice ... as well as that hose breaking whilst it was being removed and was off the road for a month whilst the part had to come from Italy ...

all these parts have failed on mine at different times and all part of that same high temperature circuit

2 reservoir tanks
1 return hose (that one pictured)
1 radiator
1 water pump

all that section was done by Mccarrolls except the radiator ... ALL the problems were present in the car when they handed it back to me after a service or some other work, ...
they found the water pump issue and fixed but gave the car back to me with a leaking radiator
they did not fix the radiator, a local dealership did... but when i took the car back to Mccarrolls recently for the second tank, (because they said they had the part in stock), they gave the car back to me with an oil leak coming from the air intake after they were finally finished ...

credit where credit is due

========================
low temperature cooling system ... the turbo cooling system
1 O ring has been replaced early in the cars lifespan, Mccarrolls, but has manifested again

currently leaking from that area again ... work in progress, taken it to another dealer
the last recent dealership (Parramatta Motor Group) totally ignored the problem, CLAIMED it was old coolant from the previous leak ( 3 years ago mind you) ... and whilst they had the car to repair the oil leak in the air intake, gave the car back to me pretending they didnt know about the coolant leak as that was handled by a "guy that doesnt work there anymore" ... Parramatta Motor Group ... more regarding that to follow ... their Google comments have a couple of mentions where they "IGNORE WARRANTY ISSUES" ... Alfa are not the only car they service so that is the problem ... they are a JOKE ... at a previous service the 45,000 klm service they replaced the air filter but did not tighten the clamp causing unfiltered air to get in ... when i rang him to tear him a new arsehole about it he reckoned they dont change the air filter at 45,000 klms ... a total JOKE

credit where credit is due
===========

yours could be any one of those areas ... i also believe over aggressive pressure testing has blown the entire circuit in my car one piece at a time ... good luck,

im sick of shoddy work, hope you dont get the same

check around the radiator, shine a torch deep down, ... check for pink stains or fresh pink coolant ... if you dont see any, but can smell it, it could be the water pump ... dont go to Parramatta Motor Group, they will just clean it and tell you its old coolant from Disneyland

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Papagallo thanks so much for the detailed reply mate. I’ve had that reservoir replaced twice now and the turbo oring like I said.
I’m actually taking it to my old mechanic and mate who works on quite a lot of high-performance cars and he’s gonna put it up pressure test it and have a look around for me. Thanks so much for your notes mate I’ll give him the heads up so he can have a look at those things.

I just don’t trust the McCarrols guys now. Especially after what you’ve just told me.

I rang up to tell them about the low reservoir and the girl said “you’re welcome to bring it in for a look when we replace the leaky headlamp” to which I said I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure if it runs out of coolant between now and then it will blow my engine. Could you get someone who knows about engines please? A day later I got a call back from a service guy who surprisingly didn’t know a lot about the problem or solutions either.

I miss the guys at Leichhardt - at least they were passionate about the marque.

Talk tomorrow I guess. I can’t believe the shite you’ve gone through.

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
bjb,
that is the high temp reservoir, its not the turbo cooling one - the turbo is the low temperature reservoir and it is the one behind the headlight - that reservoir has nothing to do with the O ring, but check it anyway

i have had two of those tanks pictured replaced twice ... as well as that hose breaking whilst it was being removed and was off the road for a month whilst the part had to come from Italy ...
Fantastic information! Kudos!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Papagallo it’s a split in the return hose for the coolant that runs down behind the engine. No wonder it ran out. Nothing else apparently. Old school experienced mechanic straight up and not layers of people that don’t know much who’ll “get back to you” before your motor blows up . Thanks for your detailed response too, I printed it out and gave it to Murray and he checked all that other stuff out all good thanks Papa!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
good outcome, you getting it done under warranty ? or sticking to your trusted guy ?

shouldnt be too expensive

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Papa, Well, the plot thickens good ol mate Murray the mechanic discovered there was a leaking return hose that he said could only have been cracked by human hand. There’s no way I could’ve done it by itself where the crack is. (See photo- it p**sing out!) We deduced when McCarrols replaced the reservoir
someone’s obviously over bent and cracked the hose trying to jam the reservoir in. They also left engine bay cover bolts loose as well. This was TWO services ago.

When I took it in for the “headlight lens getting water under” problem I noticed that the coolant was down which they said they checked and everything was okay and topped it up!!
Good thing I didn’t go on a long trip and blow the engine which is what would’ve happened. Mechanic reckons they should’ve called me in straightaway to have a look at it.

Where to now? What are our options? Pay a good mechanic to double check their work or to figure out what they should be doing? I’ll get this done under warranty but I’ll put them under notice. Very disappointing.

At least with the service managers at Leichhardt they really knew what they were doing because they used to be on the tools themselves and had a passion for the brand and a sense of pride and nothing was too much trouble for them.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
the only reason i had problems with service centres appears to be because i didnt go to Leichhardt ...

that is very similar to what they did to mine ... they said it was "brittle", other advice says there is no way a 3 year old hose can be "brittle" after such a short time

i really dont know what to advise as far as where to take it because in my experience they have ALL been muppets in one way or another ...

has your mechanic taped up the hose at least ? ... if its possible ...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s taped but still leaking mate. Awaiting “warranty repair”. I’m thinking it’s probably worth my while to pay ol mate Murray to keep them on their toes. The cost of incompetence and cover ups is potentially more damaging.

·
Registered
234 Posts
After it's all repaired, take a garden hose and wash everything down (try to avoid direct spray on wire connectors and looms). The antifreeze leaves white spots on everything if it isn't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The cost of incompetence and cover ups is potentially more damaging.
It’s pretty disturbing hearing about these dealer experiences, particularly as we don’t have many service options in Newcastle/Sydney. Particularly where warranty work is needed.
I hope the dealers and their service outlets don’t run the Brand into the ground, it seems to be struggling enough to get a decent foothold in the Australian market.
Perhaps they just don’t assign the value to Alfa Romeo that they do to the other brands in the stable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts