Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in the owners manual—

Turbocharger Cool Down
It is recommended before switching the vehicle off, to keep the engine idling for a few minutes so that the turbocharger can be suitably lubricated. This procedure is particularly recommended after severe driving.
After a full load operation, keep the engine idling for three to five minutes before switching it off.
This time allows the lubricating oil and the engine coolant to eliminate the excessive heat from combustion chamber, bearings, inner components and turbocharger.

Does anyone actually do this?

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks wingler for that info/reminder!

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I have been driving hard, like coming off the freeway to fill up with gas, then I idle for 2 to 3 min. If have have been driving easy then only a minute to let the turbos cool down.

It would be nice if there was a indicator for turbo temp that would come on when it was cool enough to shut down.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
It would be nice if there was a indicator for turbo temp that would come on when it was cool enough to shut down.
Or automated. Sort of the reverse of remote start. Add to the "next gen wishlist"?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Stop/start does not care about turbo temp, car has electric pumps to keep coolant flowing after shut off. Last part of my drives I take it real easy.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
Stop/start does not care about turbo temp, car has electric pumps to keep coolant flowing after shut off. Last part of my drives I take it real easy.
Isn't stop/start limited to thirty seconds or a minute?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just my feeling, I have no data, but if you have done "severe driving" on a track and pull into a pit area you should let it idle. But around-town or interstate driving you should be taking it easy as you near your destination and that should be enough to let the turbo cool down. Doing it every time you drive seems excessive for normal driving to me. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Somehow I suspect that the turbo does not need a cool down, but the engine might. If the engine is hot enough to burn oil deposits, shutting off the engine without a cool down seems likely to contribute to intake port carbon buildup.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts on my question. This isn’t the first turbo car I’ve had, but it is the first where I’ve really bothered to look at the owner’s manual - just want to make sure I wasn’t doing irreparable damage to my Alfa!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,641 Posts
Turbo cool down

I know the owner's manual recommends this but how essential is this. If I'm driving 50 minutes to work spending most of the time in traffic and AE, is this really necessary to wait 5 minutes before turning off the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I know the owner's manual recommends this but how essential is this. If I'm driving 50 minutes to work spending most of the time in traffic and AE, is this really necessary to wait 5 minutes before turning off the car?
I’d only really worry about cooling down the car if you hammered it for those 50 minutes. The best thing to do when you do get on the car pretty hard is to treat it like you’d treat a horse you're riding or a post workout cool down for yourself and just make sure to take it easy the last few minutes of a drive and you should be fine. My Q.V. runs pretty cool, not surprising when you look how many radiators the thing has crammed all over really, and even on the track the tempature gauge never budged above 1/2 way. Turbos are a different case though and you want to avoid thermal shock and cooking the oil but cars today circulate oil after ignition turn off to avoid many problems...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I usually let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting off. I've noticed that the radiator fans will keep running even after I shut off the car, especially if I wait less than 30 seconds.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Good to know. Thank you all

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've merged a newer thread with an older thread of the same name and topic.

Generally speaking, if your doing normal city / highway driving, there's no need to wait for the turbo to cool down. Just let the engine idle a bit before turning off the engine, and that just to make sure there's no raw fuel in the engine/turbo. The slow action of parking, pushing the P button, setting the P brake and rolling up the windows will absorb enough time that you can then safely shut off the engine.

If you've been up in the canyons flogging the car, or out on the track beating your car to death (both of which are fun), then yes, you need to do a cool down run. The clubs I track with allow a cool-down lap. There is more than just the turbo to cool down. Brakes, radiator, transmission, differential, driver, everything needs to cool before parking. Things cool faster, better, more evenly with airflow while driving at a slower pace.

Then, when I stop, I do not set the parking brake. The rotors need to cool evenly so they don't warp. Setting the brake will warp HOT brakes. Normal driving doesn't heat (overheat) the brakes enough to matter.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I've merged a newer thread with an older thread of the same name and topic.

Generally speaking, if your doing normal city / highway driving, there's no need to wait for the turbo to cool down. Just let the engine idle a bit before turning off the engine, and that just to make sure there's no raw fuel in the engine/turbo. The slow action of parking, pushing the P button, setting the P brake and rolling up the windows will absorb enough time that you can then safely shut off the engine.

If you've been up in the canyons flogging the car, or out on the track beating your car to death (both of which are fun), then yes, you need to do a cool down run. The clubs I track with allow a cool-down lap. There is more than just the turbo to cool down. Brakes, radiator, transmission, differential, driver, everything needs to cool before parking. Things cool faster, better, more evenly with airflow while driving at a slower pace.

Then, when I stop, I do not set the parking brake. The rotors need to cool evenly so they don't warp. Setting the brake will warp HOT brakes. Normal driving doesn't heat (overheat) the brakes enough to matter.
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts