Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting delivery of my Giulia and have been reading the owner's manual in advance.

There is mention of allowing the Turbo to cool down after driving, especially after hard runs:

Turbocharger Cool Down
Before switching the engine off, keep it idling for a few minutes so that the turbocharger can be suitably lubricated. This procedure is particularly recommended after severe driving. After a full load operation, keep the engine idling for three to five minutes before switching it off.

I've had turbos before and some required cool down, others no cool down. Have you been following the cool down advice on every drive, or just on spirited jaunts?

3-5 minutes seems like a long time to be just sitting in your car waiting for cool down and doesn't the Start/Stop function activate while you are waiting cool down?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
The last half-mile to my home is like a cool-down, so I don't linger long. Other places, maybe 30 seconds (about the same amount of time I wait before putting my Giulia in gear after starting it).

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Spirited drives, I would advise it for any turbo charged car. The last 1/2-1/4 mile to my house includes speed bumps. This equates to an automatic cool down period. If the car was run ragged I will let it sit for another 30sec.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 2.0L Giulias have a separate liquid cooling system for the turbo and intercooler. The electric pump runs for a few minutes after a hot engine shutdown to cool the turbo. You can hear it if you listen carefully. I assume the QV has this feature also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Call me conservative, but why not ? Given the comments about turbo replacements with no follow-up explanation by Alfa corporate, I figure it merely is 3 minutes of your life. And, y'all get to take in the interior for another three minutes before having to get back to the world. I purchased my Quad for extended use, so, for me, I do the cool down for 3-4 minutes after a long highway drive, even if the drive was not that spirited. Also, I never use the start/stop function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m in the same boat as others. If I’ve been driving hard, I’ll take it easy on the last few miles back to the house and then let the car idle for a minute before turning it off. There was a recall issued a few months back that increased the duration the coolant pump runs after the car is turned off to help cool off the turbo.

I haven’t completed the recall since I live 2 hours from the nearest dealer, and it also happens to be in a COVID hotspot. With this in mind, I figure an extra minute in the car is a small price to pay.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
I’m in the same boat as others. If I’ve been driving hard, I’ll take it easy on the last few miles back to the house and then let the car idle for a minute before turning it off. There was a recall issued a few months back that increased the duration the coolant pump runs after the car is turned off to help cool off the turbo.

I haven’t completed the recall since I live 2 hours from the nearest dealer, and it also happens to be in a COVID hotspot. With this in mind, I figure an extra minute in the car is a small price to pay.
It also seems as though the update causes other issues. I won't get the update, not until they release a fix for the fix. LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yo, guys:

Was the recall for the Guilia only ? I have not received any recall notice for my 2018 Quad. I also recently had an oil change and was not advised of a recall by my dealor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
It also seems as though the update causes other issues. I won't get the update, not until they release a fix for the fix. LOL
I lost the thread [pun intended]. What problems are being attributed to the W05 update?

When they did my update, they somehow broke the auto start/stop which produced a warning light on the dash. They replaced my BCM as a fix, but based on other comments it sounded like the issue was likely an improperly completed proxi alignment across several modules.

Are there other (unresolved) issues people have experienced? Mine seems fine now.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
I lost the thread [pun intended]. What problems are being attributed to the W05 update?

When they did my update, they somehow broke the auto start/stop which produced a warning light on the dash. They replaced my BCM as a fix, but based on other comments it sounded like the issue was likely an improperly completed proxi alignment across several modules.

Are there other (unresolved) issues people have experienced? Mine seems fine now.
Random codes and auto start stop unavailable come to mind.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Yo, guys:

Was the recall for the Guilia only ? I have not received any recall notice for my 2018 Quad. I also recently had an oil change and was not advised of a recall by my dealor.

Thanks.
Don’t think it applied to the QV, but check the Alfa app and see if you have any outstanding recalls.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Huh, I didn't know about the turbo cool down recommendation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This post reminded me to turn my car off. Long day a work so I had a spirited drive home, when I got home I left the car run went in side real quick to use bathroom and drop my bag. That turned in to taking a shower and making and eating dinner. Then I'm relaxing going through the forum and read this post. I go hmmm I think I let it cool for 4 to 5 mins right, hold on is my car still running lol. My turbo is cool now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no "recall" related to the pump cooling the turbo. That is why a owner would not have received a recall notice. There Was a customer invitation to avail oneself to an offer to program / campaign said pump to run longer...a approximate 20 job. Strictly optional. All manufacturers offer such strictly voluntary services in the interests of long term customer satisfaction with her or his vehicle.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
There is no "recall" related to the pump cooling the turbo. That is why a owner would not have received a recall notice. There Was a customer invitation to avail oneself to an offer to program / campaign said pump to run longer...a approximate 20 job. Strictly optional. All manufacturers offer such strictly voluntary services in the interests of long term customer satisfaction with her or his vehicle.
FCA defines it as a “vehicle problem that is not safety related”. And they do send notification.

Reactions: hazards280

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just sharing the official letter for any interested parties.

Reactions: wingler and JeFizz

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I’ve been cooling down my car since day one and I remember some members laughing at the idea two years ago saying it’s not necessary. I also never shut down in race mode. Always turn back to D for last mile or wait a few minutes while parked. It can’t hurt. Only help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts