Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the owners manual, it states to let the vehicle idle before turning vehicle off, any suggestions out there?
Does the manual really say that?
The start/stop option contradicts that. With the option on, that unfortunately is the default, there is no idling before the engine turns itself off.
It makes no sense to have a start/stop system built as default if that would damage the turbo. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
If your turbo is hot and you unceremoniously shut off the engine the oil in the high speed bearings in the turbo will burn and ruin the turbo charger.

Given that the car defaults to auto engine stop, it is not clear to me how this engine idle is supposed to be achieved when pulling off the road at the top of a long grade (like my driveway).

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
For a daily use I gave up idleing with my cars (mostly because my previous car had a cannon sized exhaust which would piss everyone off). What I tend to do for warm up and slow down is drive it like an old lady on a Sunday for 5 or more minutes, nothing over 3k revs. On an extreme ride I might do.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that it has after-run electric pump for the oil to the turbo after shut-off.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
The car definitely continues to make some sound after shut-off and exit.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What I tend to do............ is drive it like an old lady on a Sunday for 5 or more minutes, nothing over 3k revs.
I hope you don't do that a week from Saturday......:grin2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
On page 140 of the manual

You are correct. Page 140
Someone better tell the Start/Stop System what the owners manual says, so that it will keep the engine running several minutes after stopping.
Something does not make any sense here. Either this turbo does not need cooling, or the car should not have a Start/Stop System.
Can anyone explain this apparent contradiction please?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think AR is asking that if the car has been driven really hard, high boost, for any extended period of time. I'm visualizing a track day or really nice open section of road then you shouldn't just stop and turn the car off. I'm not reading it as a problem if your just driving around town or even on the highway. There is, as has been pointed out a fully independent cooling system from the turbo than runs after your turn the engine off. But that is just the way I'm reading it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I did some research online and they all mentioned to let the turbo cool down for at least 1 minute before the motor is stopped, as far as the auto stop/start I keep it off. Safe driving

1 - 14 of 14 Posts