Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are currently testing the Euro+Drive Lite module for the Giulia 2.0. This module has a lot of advantages over others on the market. The hardware is made by Dimsport of Itlay. They really know how the Italian ECUs work. It's plug and play and in the case of the Giulia 2.0 installation is really easy. We will release several tunes for it. Dimsport already has one tune for the Giulia 2.0, but we will be adding a couple more. This module is capable of adding a lot of power, not as much as an actual ECU tune, but pretty darn close, and it has other advantages that for some customers make it more desirable.

We also make available self tuning software and base maps for those owners who would like to make their own custom tunes. This is a very high quality system, and I am excited about how it progressing on this car so far. We will make more details available soon.

You can read quite a bit more about the system here: https://shopeurocompulsion.net/blogs/euro-drive-tuning-solutions/discover-euro-drive

Greg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for your work to our platform. When you say 2.0, are you referring to any of the models? Will yours be compatible with US model? What kind of power gains, safety do you think? What's the time frame for release of product with videos and details?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
sounds interesting! would love to know bhp claims and cost. Would it mess with the warranty do you think?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your work to our platform. When you say 2.0, are you referring to any of the models? Will yours be compatible with US model? What kind of power gains, safety do you think? What's the time frame for release of product with videos and details?
All of our work is on the US model. However we do have maps made by Dimsport for the Euro Models. It's a little too soon for me to comment specifically on power, but I can say that Dimsport's tunes are always very conservative and usually give gains right around 15%. Our tunes are typically a little hotter. We are also getting close to releasing intakes for the Giulia 2.0, so they will add some power as well.

I am hoping to release this in 4-6 weeks. There are really only two hold ups. First, we need some severe testing on 100F+ days, and the weather hasn't been cooperating. Second, we simply want more time to release a couple maps with it. Each map takes some time to develop and test.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will you also have tuning solutions for the Giulia Quadrifoglio?
Absolutely. However with the QV it's a little more complex. Alfa set that car up as if it's two engines joined together. That means it would need TWO of these tuning modules and wiring harnesses to work. At this time we don't think that's a good option. There are other reasons that are too complex to address here. HOWEVER we do have another Euro+Drive solution for the QV, it's also in beta, and it's awesome. I'll save that for another thread.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds interesting! would love to know bhp claims and cost. Would it mess with the warranty do you think?
Dyno numbers will be coming, but we can't share that data yet. The Giulia is very tricky to dyno. It's a very modern car, and too advanced for these 1980's ere dynos out there. ( I have a whole tech article on this subject on our site if you really want something to read ) It needs an all wheel drive dyno with hydraulically linked and computer controlled rollers. I have bought such a dyno, but it's not been delivered and set up yet. So for now our data is limited to Auterra, which works well, but I'll hold off on releasing hard numbers.

Pricing will be reasonable, very comparable to other tuner boxes on the market.

Warranty issues are not really a factor. However if you are worried about it, the entire system, wiring harness and all can be removed from the Guilia very easily. It takes no more than 5 mins. to remove it from a Giulia 2.0, and once removed it leaves behind no trace that it was every installed.

Greg

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Absolutely. However with the QV it's a little more complex. Alfa set that car up as if it's two engines joined together. That means it would need TWO of these tuning modules and wiring harnesses to work. At this time we don't think that's a good option. There are other reasons that are too complex to address here. HOWEVER we do have another Euro+Drive solution for the QV, it's also in beta, and it's awesome. I'll save that for another thread.

Greg
This has been a trend for the Magnetti Marelli ecus. The first OBD1 set up on the 348 was responsible for some of it's power problems that got panned in the reviews. We found out last year on FerrariChat, that the intake geometry was restricted. The plenums and throttle bodies were too small, by at least 1 cm diameter and maybe more than 10cc in each plenum. If you look at the 355, 360, and 430 you will see each plenum get larger over the years.

Anyway... most of this was do to the fact that it was the first run on an OBD system and it was easier (or the only way) to get the computer electronics on to the car. It's like they used to think of V8s as two 4 cylinder engines. Some math gets lost when you do that. But I dare to say they are figuring it out. Remember, they have V6 turbo hybrid in F1 and the CaliT V8 behind the Quad V6.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
Greg,

Will it pass a California smog test, including the OBDII check for modifications?
Will it shorten the life expectancy of smog sensors and/or catalytic converter?

I am equally interested in fuel efficiency increases and power increases. AR seems to be promising both with the electric turbo charger, but with no availability schedule.

Are other functionality improvements in the works? I am interested in having some control over the traction control and stability systems (disable under some conditions, or at least have a mud and/or snow setting) and the transfer clutch on the Q4 (lock out for summer tires, lock on for driving on snow/ice/mud).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg,

Will it pass a California smog test, including the OBDII check for modifications?
There are really two questions here. First, it won't have a carb number, so it's technically not legal in California. However if it's mounted where they don't see it, the car will pass. The device is NOT detectable through the OBD2 system, and it won't have any effect during an emissions test. In fact under the conditions in which they test for emissions on a dyno, the device wont even activate. This means that in practical terms it will pass any possible smog check. Furthermore, on the Giulia 2.0, it's literally a 5 minute job to uninstall it, and reinstalling it is also really easy.

Will it shorten the life expectancy of smog sensors and/or catalytic converter?
No, absolutely not.

I am equally interested in fuel efficiency increases and power increases. AR seems to be promising both with the electric turbo charger, but with no availability schedule.
When driving normally the device will have zero effect on fuel economy, of course when you put your foot down you will use more fuel because the engine will be generating more power. As for the electric turbo charger (really an electric supercharger because it doesn't have a turbine) that's something we are watching closely, but it's a discussion for another thread.

Are other functionality improvements in the works?
Yes, we have many other products in development. I wish I could share everything we are working on, but I really can't.

I am interested in having some control over the traction control and stability systems (disable under some conditions, or at least have a mud and/or snow setting) and the transfer clutch on the Q4 (lock out for summer tires, lock on for driving on snow/ice/mud).
Euro+Drive Lite doesn't have that capability. It can only increase power, nothing else. I want to keep this thread related to Euro+Drive Lite. However I can say this, you are not the only one who wants to be able to shut off the traction control and do burnouts. I want that too :)

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Dyno numbers will be coming, but we can't share that data yet. The Giulia is very tricky to dyno. It's a very modern car, and too advanced for these 1980's ere dynos out there. ( I have a whole tech article on this subject on our site if you really want something to read ) It needs an all wheel drive dyno with hydraulically linked and computer controlled rollers. I have bought such a dyno, but it's not been delivered and set up yet. So for now our data is limited to Auterra, which works well, but I'll hold off on releasing hard numbers.

Pricing will be reasonable, very comparable to other tuner boxes on the market.

Warranty issues are not really a factor. However if you are worried about it, the entire system, wiring harness and all can be removed from the Guilia very easily. It takes no more than 5 mins. to remove it from a Giulia 2.0, and once removed it leaves behind no trace that it was every installed.

Greg
Great news on every level Greg... thanks for sharing, looking fwd to the results. Appreciate the response

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I know this is not as sexy but I am really really interested in a set up that gets much better fuel economy on commutes. Is that something you are/could work on? Of course I'd like a little more power but in the real world two clicks of the left paddle in this car and I'm wherever I wanted to be. I would love to be able to brag about 40 mpg when I'm in A mode.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is not as sexy but I am really really interested in a set up that gets much better fuel economy on commutes. Is that something you are/could work on? Of course I'd like a little more power but in the real world two clicks of the left paddle in this car and I'm wherever I wanted to be. I would love to be able to brag about 40 mpg when I'm in A mode.
I hear you loud and clear. However regardless of what you may have heard, no piggy back type of tuning box will improve fuel economy on this car. That's just not the way they work, and ours in no exception.

On the other hand, it's possible to improve fuel economy with an ECU tune designed specifically to do that, or possibly with a piggy back designed for that purpose (although none are on the market that I know of) . Improvements to fuel economy is something I'll discuss when and if we decide to offer such tunes via a different Euro+Drive platform.

Greg

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Keep in mind that you are driving a performance inspired sedan not a toyota prius. It is already a 4 cylinder car. :wink2:
In a different forum a USA Subaru WRX owner reported buying a user configurable tuning box and tweaked his 24MPG highway car until he could get over 35MPG at 70MPH on the highway; probably violating NOx emissions limits big time in the process, but WOW.

Smog rules are largely for cars driven in congested areas and that is not where I drive my vehicles for the most part. IMHO, fuel economy impacts of smog rules should be considered since CO2 is also a pollutant. Unfortunately if I want a car that I can drive here it still has to meet the smog rules as they are <sigh>.

The point being that a standard Giulia is often a DD and decent fuel economy is important in a DD. As-is a standard Giulia apparently gets only slightly better than average for its class fuel economy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am really impressed with how fuel efficient this car is. It can easily get into the 30s on the highway, and it's capable of almost 150mph. Additionally, the Giulia isn't that small, for example when parked next to my vintage BMW 535i, the Giulia seems huge.

In any case, I'll state again that Euro+Drive Lite, can't really increase fuel economy. It won't hurt it either, but it's a power adder and that's really all it's designed to do.

Greg

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
I am really impressed with how fuel efficient this car is. It can easily get into the 30s on the highway, and it's capable of almost 150mph. Additionally, the Giulia isn't that small, for example when parked next to my vintage BMW 535i, the Giulia seems huge.

In any case, I'll state again that Euro+Drive Lite, can't really increase fuel economy. It won't hurt it either, but it's a power adder and that's really all it's designed to do.

Greg
Understood. I am just trying to underscore what I need as compared to what you are offering. I have far more use for fuel economy (this has mostly to do with range rather than saving a fuel bucks worth of fuel) and systems control of the car (this is for driving in adverse conditions--something which I do frequently) than more of the already adequate power.

Of course I want more power, but I need the stuff I mentioned already.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts