Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom this may concern,
Is there a thread / sticky where one can find all of the current Technical Service Bulletins, TSBs, and any recalls, released by Alfa?
Also, a chart that explains the meaning of the Option codes? Example: GWJ = Dual-Pane Sunroof
Perhaps another where one can find information on where / how to contact Alfa directly with problems, concerns, etc.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...ssues-owner-s-manual-nuances-order-codes.html

We can add TSB info as we go. Though, this may require insider input. Dealers typically do not hand out tsb info.

There was a post yesterday in one of the sections here that was the official Giulia 2017 order guide with all features and specs in a color format. Some 30+ pages long. Will try to find it....
Eric,
Thanks, just found the Known Technical Issues.
Lots of overlap in these car forums; sometimes makes it difficult to find things.
I will make a point of trying to get a file with all of the TSBs
BTW, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a MY2018 Ti awd.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
If you guys find anything helpful that you think everyone could benefit from, send me a message and it'll be added as a header sticky. The more reference material we organise, the more throughput we'll have in terms of users and more traffic for supporting vendors. Win-win all around.

--

Congrats on signing up, Andy. Hopefully the car will arrive sooner than expected. I'm still thrilled with mine and it continues to impress. You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I had a wiconnect/tech authority subscription for fun that had a lot of great information if anyone has access to they would post TSBs as soon as they happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I think some of the point to the dealers and Alfa (and other brands) not hosting/posting public TSB's is that all cars do not fit all conditions.

In other words, it is possible that some owners will make service appts after TSB related info is discovered and their car may not have the symptom.

There are many minor running factory assembly changes and software tweaks that every car will not fit every TSB condition.

Curious myself to learn what is out there. Most of the software updates are known. More interested in any actual mechanical adjustments.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/778-alfa-romeo-giulia-issues-problems/8202-faq-known-technical-issues-owner-s-manual-nuances-order-codes.html

We can add TSB info as we go. Though, this may require insider input. Dealers typically do not hand out tsb info.

There was a post yesterday in one of the sections here that was the official Giulia 2017 order guide with all features and specs in a color format. Some 30+ pages long. Will try to find it....
Here it is:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/12810-one-link-all-details.html

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think some of the point to the dealers and Alfa (and other brands) not hosting/posting public TSB's is that all cars do not fit all conditions.

In other words, it is possible that some owners will make service appts after TSB related info is discovered and their car may not have the symptom.

There are many minor running factory assembly changes and software tweaks that every car will not fit every TSB condition.

Curious myself to learn what is out there. Most of the software updates are known. More interested in any actual mechanical adjustments.
Well, I have a good relation with my dealer. In the 2.5 years I've been driving my 4C on a daily basis, I've had more than a few chats with my service manager. What I'm about to tell you all, is based on 4C issues and 4C forum conversations and my personal experience(s).

AR or FCA has issued a memo to all NA (North America) dealers. I saw the memo, so it's not make-believe.

The dealers can't just do TSBs or software patches at will. They used to be able to do this. Now what has to happen is this:
1) The car owner has to complain that there is a problem.
2) The dealer has to replicate or experience the problem.
3) The dealer has to use their WiTech device and it needs to show that this car is available for the patch or TSB.
4) The dealer has to now get permission from FCA to do the TSB or software patch.

This applies to all 4Cs and all Giulias.
----

The background to this is: (I'll try to keep it short)

I had an issue with my 4C transmission where it would go into neutral and natural and I could not get it back into gear. The dealer could not find or experience the problem. This went on for about 8,000 miles. Eventually my car failed while an AR Rep was driving my car. LMAO Three days later I had a software patch that cured the issue. I have 10,000 +++ miles since.

AR told me that the patch was one they had been working on to address a lot of little things and they tacked my needs onto it. It really did address a lot of little things! So, all the 4C owners were looking forward to this. It took maybe nine months before it became a secret and silent TSB. The 4C guys call it the "Secret Racer Patch" lol.

When 4C owners started get enough mileage on their cars to experience my symptoms, AR refused to issue my patch to them. Eventually, a few got my patch and most others not. So I asked my service manager what he knew. That's when he showed me the memo.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Z,
I hear what you are saying, but what sense is that?
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the new code is written and made available, the only additional cost to Alfa would be the hour, or so, to reflash the ecu? I would think that the improved / continuing positive customer relations and the potential profits from continuing brand loyalty would offset the minimal costs to cover Dealership warranty billing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
racer Z-- why would AR do this?? seems to me they would want all cars behaving properly at all times !

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's hard to believe that the dealer would actually have to get "permission" from AR before they can do an update? I'm in the midst of trying to get an infotainment update for my car, and the same day that I took it to the dealer with a complaint they proceeded to attempt an update. They ran into a snag and could not complete the update, but the fact that they proceeded immediately makes me wonder if this policy is still in force? If they did ask for permission, then they must have interacted with someone in the U.S. because of the time difference with Italy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's hard to believe that the dealer would actually have to get "permission" from AR before they can do an update? I'm in the midst of trying to get an infotainment update for my car, and the same day that I took it to the dealer with a complaint they proceeded to attempt an update. They ran into a snag and could not complete the update, but the fact that they proceeded immediately makes me wonder if this policy is still in force? If they did ask for permission, then they must have interacted with someone in the U.S. because of the time difference with Italy.
According to my service mgr at Ferrari/Maser/Alfa of Seattle, FCA has this mandate for QC reasons.. He said that it can as simple as calling their regional tech rep and saying, "hey, we're doing TSB xxxx or update YYY to this Giulia based on our findings.." he felt that after a break-in period the good service departments would be turned loose..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Z,
I hear what you are saying, but what sense is that?
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the new code is written and made available, the only additional cost to Alfa would be the hour, or so, to reflash the ecu? I would think that the improved / continuing positive customer relations and the potential profits from continuing brand loyalty would offset the minimal costs to cover Dealership warranty billing.
racer Z-- why would AR do this?? seems to me they would want all cars behaving properly at all times !
My service manager knew I was going to post whatever he said. He showed me the memo saying that I could not have a copy of it. When I asked the reasoning behind this, he would not comment. The memo did not give an explanation.

I tend to think that quality control (QC) has a lot to do with it. Send the car data to AR so they can analyze it. They really do need the data and feedback.

Personally, they've made the TSB for a reason, to fix what appears to be a common problem. Why not issue it prior to customers having problems?

Reactions: mibi

·
Registered
473 Posts
My service manager knew I was going to post whatever he said. He showed me the memo saying that I could not have a copy of it. When I asked the reasoning behind this, he would not comment. The memo did not give an explanation.

I tend to think that quality control (QC) has a lot to do with it. Send the car data to AR so they can analyze it. They really do need the data and feedback.

Personally, they've made the TSB for a reason, to fix what appears to be a common problem. Why not issue it prior to customers having problems?
Or why not allow dealers to install all of the relevant TSB's that are available to see if it fixes the problem? And then if the update still doesn't fix the problem AR could then be contacted regarding an issue that needs to be addressed with a future update.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Hardware vs. Software

These cars have a track record of incompatibilities that not even Alfa Romeo is fully aware of (auto-start, air-fuel/thermostat mapping, infotainment crashing , etc.)

Somewhere along the way the suppliers of various modules have different pre-loaded calibrations and/or different tolerances that cause incompatibilities. Not every combination was tested and this is where we are at.

The flow chart of which patch must be installed to meet a wide variety of hardware differences is 2 to the n'th power. Can you imagine giving service managers and techs free reign to these software patches? Guaranteed the amount of car systems that become "bricked" would be quite high because not even the manufacturer is fully aware of the inconsistencies.

Alfa is not the only car company with these issues. As a broad swath of the paint brush and given Alfa Romeo's history, they are seemingly under more scrutiny and criticism.

Repeat: Alfa Romeo is not the only car company with these issues. We have a different 1st year model car from brand "F" that has an insanity operation of presets for mirrors and the drivers seat from the keyfob. Ghost-like and flip a coin every time the vehicle is approached. Sometimes the mirrors will try to seek positions that do not exist and the worm drives click for over the limit for a minute or more till the door Is opened and a memory selection is manually changed. Is the fix in? Sooner or later. That car has more issues than our Quadrifoglio. Moral of the story: it can be worse!

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
118 Posts
eric
maybe i will stick with my '88 190e--- just a car that always starts and always works and never does anything wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts