Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this?

If you leave the spare key in the car, the trunk refuses to shut. It shuts and then immediately reopens.

If you're thinking, well why the **** are you leaving a spare key in there? It's the key i give to the valet at work so i don't have to take my key off my key ring each time.

Anyway, quite frustrating trying to get something out of the trunk and then being unable to close the trunk unless i play around with the lock/unlock buttons on my key to finally get it to stay shut.

Does this just happen with my car?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Valet?
Shouldn't they have the keys on a board at the desk?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't keep it there, they give it back to me and it stays in the car until the next time they take it. Which is why i always have a spare key inside the car.

Anyway i found the answer in the manual, in case you're wondering:

Note:
If the key fob is inadvertently
forgotten inside of the trunk, and an
attempt is made to close it from
outside, the trunk lid will not lock. With
the doors locked, the trunk lid
unlocked, and the key fob detected
inside the vehicle, the trunk lid will
unlock again and the lights flash twice

·
Registered
201 Posts
on this topic, it always takes me 2 tries to close trunk... unless I press carefully right in middle of trunk.

Does anyone NOT have this issue at all when casually closing trunk?

just wondering if it's everyone or just a few of us.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
on this topic, it always takes me 2 tries to close trunk... unless I press carefully right in middle of trunk.

It doesn't close to me only if I am being too gentle. Otherwise, one try with moderate force is enough

·
Registered
256 Posts

Are you using the handle? I pull down using it and it only takes one try every time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know a work around for this issue? If you WANTED to lock the key inside the trunk and take the little metal key out of the key fob while you go running or scuba diving etc. and have the key safely stored inside the car with the waterproof backup key on your person?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone know a work around for this issue? If you WANTED to lock the key inside the trunk and take the little metal key out of the key fob while you go running or scuba diving etc. and have the key safely stored inside the car with the waterproof backup key on your person?
I've left my second key in my messenger bag and then locked the bag in the trunk with no problem. Did not even know the car wouldn't let you do that til I saw this thread.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Put the fob it a tightly close-able metal box. It might fit in an Altoids tin, although I have not tried. Wrapping the fob in aluminum foil should work too.

There have been reports of "dead spots" in the interior, where the fob can rest undetected.

·
Registered
787 Posts
you could also remove the battery from the fob... ;)
You'd have to put it in the indicated space in the central armrest to start....

Does that work with no battery? I thought it still needed a weak battery.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this?

If you leave the spare key in the car, the trunk refuses to shut. It shuts and then immediately reopens.

If you're thinking, well why the **** are you leaving a spare key in there? It's the key i give to the valet at work so i don't have to take my key off my key ring each time.

Anyway, quite frustrating trying to get something out of the trunk and then being unable to close the trunk unless i play around with the lock/unlock buttons on my key to finally get it to stay shut.

Does this just happen with my car?
I often have this problem when both me & my wife are carrying our keys and she goes to get stuff in the trunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've left my second key in my messenger bag and then locked the bag in the trunk with no problem. Did not even know the car wouldn't let you do that til I saw this thread.
Wrapping in aluminum foil works well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.