Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Trying to order a Giulia Ti 2018 in NC

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Yves 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks,

I have been trying to order a Giulia Ti with some specific options in NC, and so far ran into two road blocks.

The first one was with the dealer in Cary NC, who after test driving the car and discussing in great details about the options I wanted, never returned my call or tried to get my deposit.

The second one was in Greensboro, NC whose dealer was more involved and willing to order but came out with a bunch of excuses rejecting the specific options I want. So far, it has been complete lack of communications.

What I want is quite simple:

- Giulia Ti AWD with all sports packages (interior and exterior)
- 18 inches wheel and not 19 inches. The 19" although beautiful are very prone to destruction against curbs. It will only take one time to ruin them.
- Tobacco/tan sports seat and not black.
- Dual pane sunroof.
- Bi-xenon
- Yellow calipers
- Alfa rosso
- No Nav as the Tom-Tom provided by Alfa is not worth the money.

I understand that there is no such car in the USA. On the other hand, for $50K I am not willing to take whatever is left on the lot of these dealers.

I am also wondering when will the USA Alfa Romeo web site will be updated for the MY 2018 ? This will help me finalize the options and may contradict (or confirm) what the Greensboro dealer told me.

Quite frustrating, to say the least......

Yves

See less See more
#8 ·
That's interesting. I was able to order a very precisely spec'd Qdrfgl back in April from the San Francisco dealer without any trouble. And I got it for MSRP. Sounds like things may have changed since then...

#3 ·
That dealership is absolutely the worst I've ever dealt with. I bought there because they had the trim/options i needed. The greensboro location has been fantastic--responsive to inquiries and willing to help. Been going there for service. 60 miles out of my way but at least they are respectful.

#4 · (Edited)
I think you're on the right track with the Giulia Ti with Sport package, Q2 or Q4, if not springing for a Quadrifoglio. You might want to consider the performance pack as well. Re the rest, it's all available incl an 18" Sport package and the tobacco/tan "Tan" sports seats (only the yellow/tan Crema isn't available with the Sport package). Nav is pretty much standard I believe. Don't like it use a portable Garmin, right? That's what my wife does in her Honda CRV (for what it's worth I've no issues with my March '17 nav; it gives me a map that I can orient ahead or to North; that's all I really want or need). Apart from the no-nav request, the rest of your specs are nothing unusual. Most people prefer the 19" wheels but I get the preference for the 18" (19" is as large I like to go).

My guess is that if dealer Sales is telling you that you are asking for something unusual (again, apart from the Nav), they are simply trying to get you to bite on something in the lot.

Reactions: AlfaAndy
#7 ·
I agree with all that was said and will definitely avoid Hendrick in Cary, NC.

In the meantime, I am just waiting for the new MY2018 options to be described on the Alfa Romeo USA web site. When I know exactly what can be ordered and how much it costs, I will re-contact the Greensboro dealer or go some other route.

A few observations:

1) How can Alfa Romeo pretend to sell 50,000 vehicles in the coming year with the attitude of its current dealers?
2) Why can't Alfa Romeo dealers be trained properly to understand how to sell a rare European car? The Hendricks folks I dealt with are former Dodge salesmen, driving Charger and Challenger, when it is not a Jeep. What do these people know about Italy and the history and aura behind the Alfa name? I wonder.....
3) Why are dealers importing models that are obviously not selling (there are a bunch of Giulias on their lot, unsold). Why can't they study the European models and import what more refined American buyers desire?

For sure, Alfa is facing a big challenge with their marketing strategy or lack of.

Yves

#9 ·
Yes, you are smack in the middle of 2017 inventory clearance. Don't expect much movement or interest from dealers on a new 2018 order until maybe October. The only reason I got one was the Quad premium price level and so on. Supposedly there are up to 4 more coming into to Central Alfa Fiat here. Not sure how much of that is true. My salesman sold 2 4Cs this year as well as the only 2 Quads to pass through the dealership this year. Lots of Tis and Bases on the lot.

#10 ·
Folks,

I have been trying to order a Giulia Ti with some specific options in NC, and so far ran into two road blocks.

The first one was with the dealer in Cary NC, who after test driving the car and discussing in great details about the options I wanted, never returned my call or tried to get my deposit.
Who did you deal with at AR of Cary? I stopped by to check out the cars and Jonathan Lewis was friendly and low pressure. He offered to let me a test drive a Stelvio even though I was not really serious at the time. I plan to go back eventually to see if they'll let me test drive a QV. We'll see how that goes.
I asked him about service and he did admit that they don't have a dedicated AR service at their studio. They send them across the street to the Chrysler place. He did say that they have dedicated Alfa mechanics however.
Let us know if you have luck with the Greensboro dealer.

#11 ·
Who did you deal with at AR of Cary? I stopped by to check out the cars and Jonathan Lewis was friendly and low pressure. He offered to let me a test drive a Stelvio even though I was not really serious at the time.
Yes, I believe it was that same guy. Very friendly at first contact, let you test drive the cars, very agreeable, discuss the options.....and then .....Nothing! His manager was out of town and he needed to have his green light to order the car....Why? I wonder.

Since then ... nothing! I suppose the manager is still vacationing in Porto Rico.

Yves

#14 ·
That is a special order with customization:

- Red with Tan interior and Yellow brake calipers.

It was apparently the first time they saw that combination in Greensboro. It is quite stunning and will be a lot more comfortable in summer, instead of the black interior.

The Apple Play software is not there yet and the dealer was not even sure that this 2018 model (built in October 2018) was capable of that feature. Honestly, I do not care for these gimmicks. If I wanted that, I could get a Hunday or a Toyota. Apparently this model was not affected by the Brake Fluid contamination fiasco as it was built before November 14, 2018.

I worked with Ken. Your car should be coming soon hopefully.
Yves

#15 · (Edited)
Oh and something very interesting and important that I learnt yesterday:

Alfa Romeo in Cary is being detached from Hendrick and re-attached to Johnston Maserati in Cary. They realized that the goons at Hendrick were unable to sell high-end Italian cars and that it made more sense to put AR and Maserati together. I believe this to be an excellent news. This way, Hendrick can concentrate on selling Dodge pick-up trucks and Chargers, for which they are experts. The folks at Maserati (Cary, NC) are multiple notches above Hendrick sales reps and are very pleasant to deal with. Before thinking about the Giulia, I also looked at the Maserati Ghibli and the sales rep were absolutely wonderful and knowledgeable in Italian culture and exotic cars. The Ghibli drive demo is still very vivid in my mind and was so much fun.....exhilarating to say the least!!!! By comparison, while testing the Giulia at Hendrick, I was not allowed to go over 30 MPH!!!! Two very different experiences.

Yves

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.