Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many of you know this by now, but if you remove the large foam block from under the trunk mat there is considerably more storage room. I cut a piece of blue foam to keep the board at the same level. I now have the owners manual, water, jumper cables, a MRE and small survival kit all stowed out of sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Mre ???

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oh.....OK...I have to check this out now !!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Didn't have to change the factory styrofoam......managed to fit the manual in there....could also fit Jumper cables....got to look around to see if I have a good set.....D
Thanks....

PS....Water might get a little hot back there....no ?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Didn't have to change the factory styrofoam......managed to fit the manual in there....could also fit Jumper cables....got to look around to see if I have a good set.....D
Thanks....

MRE is an overstatement, it is actually "just add hot water, then ready to eat". If the water is already hot, so much the better.
MRE and water could come in handy if Giulia decides to do something rude in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Any chemical reaction between the plastic water bottle and the hot water after say...6 months ?

Of course, by then, depending on climate, it could be ice......:nerd:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks....

MRE is an overstatement, it is actually "just add hot water, then ready to eat". If the water is already hot, so much the better.
MRE and water could come in handy if Giulia decides to do something rude in the middle of nowhere.
I always try and keep one in my cars "just in case", never had to resort to eating it but I feel better knowing it's there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chemical reaction between the plastic water bottle and the hot water after say...6 months ?

Of course, by then, depending on climate, it could be ice......

I probably wouldn't drink it for fun, but I'm sure it's fine for emergency use. I've drank bottled water and eaten MREs that had sat in containers in the dessert for a couple of years with no ill effect.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Why stop there?
That's how you heat the water if it is not hot enough.

Best to use a water bottle that can expand rather than break if frozen. Some plastics contain chemicals that mimic hormones that can leach out over time. Most studies are worried about chronic exposure though, not one strong dose; most likely less harm than benefit from consuming such stuff. Just make certain that you don't fill the bottle with untreated well water which can grow stuff; better to use commercial bottled water. I don't think there is any kind of 100% "safe" long term water storage.

The same likely applies to the packaging of the MRE.

I also wonder if some creative use of "great stuff" (or similar) expanding foam would result in a better fitting, less space utilizing way to pack stuff into said cavity. Great stuff bonds aggressively to just about anything it touches, so some precautions (such as wrapping things in a protective film) would be necessary.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts
Um, I think you missed my point.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Do I place the griddle directly over my plastic engine cover or must I remove the cover and get right on top of the engine ?

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heck...I'm just hoping when I put my golf clubs in tonight they will fit! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts