Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance drives this car more than me but pointed out the trunk has been coming into contact with the rear bumper cover.

I quickly searched but didn't come up with much. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, same thing happening with mine. I’ll take some photos later.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
quite some had the problem with that in past, get it to dealer to have it adjusted properly...,do you have to slam the trunk for it to close properly? It should close with minimal effort

·
Registered
473 Posts
My dealer supposedly adjusted the closing of the trunk lid to prevent the rubbing, but I have my doubts that it fixed the problem. AR definitely needs to issue a service bulletin on this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My trunk does take a nice firm shove to close, a little more than I'd like, but I'm not experiencing this thankfully. The gap between my trunk lid and number is also significantly wider.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gap is decent and it's not hard to close. I can put some force on the bottom of the cover and move it quite a bit though.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
The gap is decent and it's not hard to close. I can put some force on the bottom of the cover and move it quite a bit though.

Any high speed driving or scrapes on the underside of the diffuser?

Plenty of clearance and no such marks on my Q4. I can reduce the gap by pushing up on the diffuser, but there is still plenty of gap with a moderate force applied.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely some high speed moments on track. Not as of late. Wondering if the diffuser pushes up much or the trunk lid with the small spoiler pushes down (or a combo).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Definitely some high speed moments on track. Not as of late. Wondering if the diffuser pushes up much or the trunk lid with the small spoiler pushes down (or a combo).

The diffuser should get sucked down by the low pressure air under the car, not pushed up. I could only guess that if there's enough play in it when you push up in it as you said, maybe going over bumps in the road creates just enough force and momentum to make the two pieces contact each other. I dont know for sure though, this is an interesting issue indeed.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Makes sense. I tried backing those off to see if I could make them taller but it didn't seem like they were designed to do that.

I'll ask the dealership about it.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
It was mentioned quite a bit in the beginning on the UK forum....
I think Alfa came out with a fix in the form of modified (stiffer?) rubber bump stops for the lid....

edit:
see http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/1078969-boot-lid-stoppers.html

i can see my old profile from here ...

the Papa Gallo Rhythm Method of boot closure still works ... g-e-n-t-l-y close and follow through - its like making a birdie putt from 5 yards, you dont slam the crap out of the ball, calma calma ... piano piano ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They put the pull handles on the inside so you don't have to touch the lid. Funny cause you can't use them unless you give it a little pull.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The stoppers just crush under force. Backing them out a bit helps but the rubber is still soft enough for them to crush too far. I tried this at first on my 2018 Quad. Then added tape to the washer, then added extra washers. Worked much better. Just stop by a hardware store and buy extra garden hose o rings. Cut through one side of the ring and snap it around the base of the stopper, under the stock washer. Boom an extra 1/8 inch of rubber, usually harder than stock. It may slip off after extended use but they are cheap and you probably have 4 more in the box they came in. Then rub out the scuff with compound but go slow and don't burn through the paint! Even the scratch hider stuff will work between washes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts