Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so there are now a couple of choices of intake systems for the Giulia 2.0. But I am not 100% sold on the design stand point.

I would personally LOVE if any vendor or company designs a true cold air intake similar to what the Q has for their intake.

I am including two pictures for the 2.0 and the 2.9. The 2.0 has a honeycomb cover where as the Q has the intakes inlets in this area.

Can a vendor design an intake system for the Giulia 2.0 that takes advantage of a similar setup? If the Q has it, I dont see why the 2.0 cannot have it as well. I would prefer a true cold air intake like this than the current available aftermarket options.

I think this would be the ultimate configuration for the 2.0 Giulia.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
i think the "ram air" function will continue to work for the EC design on our 2.0s. taking that box out exposes the opening (which is pretty decent) so i'd imagine fresh air still comes into the area and keep the temps manageable not to mention the super insulated piping to help keep it that way. I think this was a bigger issue with older cars lacking a proper ram design. PLUS look at the size of that intake filter....no way we're going to get that girth through a CAI design...

·
Registered
340 Posts
OK so there are now a couple of choices of intake systems for the Giulia 2.0. But I am not 100% sold on the design stand point.

I would personally LOVE if any vendor or company designs a true cold air intake similar to what the Q has for their intake.

I am including two pictures for the 2.0 and the 2.9. The 2.0 has a honeycomb cover where as the Q has the intakes inlets in this area.

Can a vendor design an intake system for the Giulia 2.0 that takes advantage of a similar setup? If the Q has it, I dont see why the 2.0 cannot have it as well. I would prefer a true cold air intake like this than the current available aftermarket options.

I think this would be the ultimate configuration for the 2.0 Giulia.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
We are currently working on something that will be called the V4, which will be a completely sealed intake system. Historically, we tend to prefer a sealed ram air system when it is possible and room in the engine bay permits.

The problem has been, as neiltyme mentioned, to create a filter canister that is large enough to house a filter size similar to what the V2 uses, and still be able to fit in the space given to us. We have an airbox prototype in carbon fiber finishing up in manufacturing soon, and will begin testing. We will see how far we get in improved pressure and temperature with this setup, although I suspect that the V2 and V4 will be very close together in terms of performance.

There's only so much air volume we can fit through the factory opening in the grill without cutting up the car, and the front shrouds that funnel air to the radiator are absolutely vital and cannot be removed. The V2 flows about as freely as possible already. One benefit of the V4 style will be ram air pressure build up in our filter canister, but based on sizing and flow I don't think it will outweigh the V2 in performance gains. If it does improve on the design, it will do so by not very much.

Some scenarios can be improved with the V4, most of these are conditions with very aggressive driving. Such as retaining slightly more ram air pressure at WOT and very high speeds. It may also help slightly with heat soak at idle and lower speeds. We'll know for sure once we have more testing. It will likely come down to preferences on appearance and sounds (the V4 will be quieter than the V2), and also price point. We should also have upgrade paths, I want to try and keep the system build-upon style and interchangeable. So you should be able to upgrade easily from the V2 to the V4, or downgrade to V1 for trips to the dealer, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
We are currently working on something that will be called the V4, which will be a completely sealed intake system.
Will your eventual V6 system result in 2.0L cars that can run with Quads?

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the size of the filter:

I understand increasing the surface area of the filter to make the engine breathe better and make more HP. But you can only increase the size up to a certain point and then the seize of the filter does not matter at all. Keeping in mind that the amount of air being sucked is really limited to boost. The most important aspect is getting cold air into the intake.

I am wondering about heat soak while using open style filter intake systems while driving in low speeds in bumper to bumper traffic, when the engine is not getting doused in cold, fresh air. Would there be a sacrifice in low rpm torque response while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic? With an after market exhaust system like the Corsa which comes with a bigger 3 inch diameter piping the 2.0 will experience a slight decrease in low torque response so I don't want to further degrade the response.

I am trying to find a solution to offset or improve the loss of low end rpm torque so that bumper to bumper traffic is not as annoying.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Regarding the size of the filter:

I understand increasing the surface area of the filter to make the engine breathe better and make more HP. But you can only increase the size up to a certain point and then the seize of the filter does not matter at all.
In terms of power, there is a point of diminishing returns with filter size. However, I wouldn't say that beyond that point it doesn't matter at all. It still matters for two reasons. One, more filter area means the filter gets dirty more slowly. Two it allows more room to expand and add more power with future upgrades. The V2 system was designed with both of these concepts in mind.

Keeping in mind that the amount of air being sucked is really limited to boost. The most important aspect is getting cold air into the intake.
This about this. By that logic we could have an intake with a 1" diameter tube, but as long as it had access to cold air it would perform. Clearly that's not the case. Both air temperature and flow are important factors in intake design. Flow is more important, especially on an intercooled car where most of the heat is removed anyway. That's not to say that we ignore temperature, we don't. The V2's filter does receive a lot of cool air.

I am wondering about heat soak while using open style filter intake systems while driving in low speeds in bumper to bumper traffic, when the engine is not getting doused in cold, fresh air. Would there be a sacrifice in low rpm torque response while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic?
You are not wrong to wonder about that. In bumper to bumper traffic the intake will heat up. They all do, even true cold air intakes heat up in these conditions because the heat from the radiator fills up the cavities where the inlets usually reside. An intake with an underhood filter will heat up more, but I just don't see it as a problem. In bumper to bumper traffic, I usually don't care if I have 310 pounds of torque available or just 298.

With an after market exhaust system like the Corsa which comes with a bigger 3 inch diameter piping the 2.0 will experience a slight decrease in low torque response so I don't want to further degrade the response.
The intake will not decrease response, it will improve it.

I am trying to find a solution to offset or improve the loss of low end rpm torque so that bumper to bumper traffic is not as annoying.
I am not really sure I understand the problem, but I do know that response and power will improve with the intake. I am just not clear on why that matter in bumper to bumper traffic. However, I have to admit, we don't have a lot of that in rural Oklahoma.

Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking forward to hear more about the V4 intake for the 2.0 [email protected] ... any developments you could share with us? TIA!

We are currently working on something that will be called the V4, which will be a completely sealed intake system. Historically, we tend to prefer a sealed ram air system when it is possible and room in the engine bay permits.

The problem has been, as neiltyme mentioned, to create a filter canister that is large enough to house a filter size similar to what the V2 uses, and still be able to fit in the space given to us. We have an airbox prototype in carbon fiber finishing up in manufacturing soon, and will begin testing. We will see how far we get in improved pressure and temperature with this setup, although I suspect that the V2 and V4 will be very close together in terms of performance.

There's only so much air volume we can fit through the factory opening in the grill without cutting up the car, and the front shrouds that funnel air to the radiator are absolutely vital and cannot be removed. The V2 flows about as freely as possible already. One benefit of the V4 style will be ram air pressure build up in our filter canister, but based on sizing and flow I don't think it will outweigh the V2 in performance gains. If it does improve on the design, it will do so by not very much.

Some scenarios can be improved with the V4, most of these are conditions with very aggressive driving. Such as retaining slightly more ram air pressure at WOT and very high speeds. It may also help slightly with heat soak at idle and lower speeds. We'll know for sure once we have more testing. It will likely come down to preferences on appearance and sounds (the V4 will be quieter than the V2), and also price point. We should also have upgrade paths, I want to try and keep the system build-upon style and interchangeable. So you should be able to upgrade easily from the V2 to the V4, or downgrade to V1 for trips to the dealer, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good info Greg to correct and educate people.
Does the ecu adjust ignition timing based on intake air temperature?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Any idea when the V1/V2 combo will be available again?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
A note regarding the original question in this thread: the QV hood has a "power bulge" that amongst other things makes clearance for the intake plumbing.

Obviously increasing air pressure at the intake will help performance as will decreasing the temperature of the air. The proper question is if there is any practical means to achieve meaningful gains via either of those methods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts