Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello, I purchased couple months ago a Giulia with the Trofeo (Trophy) White Tri-Coat Giulia paint job. I immediately noticed that white color is very special and unusual. To me, it seemed like it had some sort of matte white effect. However, after using a wash/wax soap, I feel like that this $2,500 option is less and less noticeable. I always hand-wash my car and currently use "Meguiar's G17748 Wash and Wax." Has anyone else experience this? I attached some pictures of what I found on internet that best describes the situation. First picture is what my paint looks like now (with waxing soap) and the second picture is what my paint looked like when I first got the car. As you can see in the second picture, the car has that matte effect to it while first one seems definitely waxed. Are my eyes fooling me? Have I ruined my paint job?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't realize that color is supposed to be matte? That's pretty awesome in your second picture.

That being said, the Meguiar's you're using is for a GLOSS SHINE, it's purpose is to make the car look shiny.

You'll have to look for a matte wax, I've never used one but a quick search shows there are a few out there. Maybe someone can recommend something good.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
In the pictures, it looks good to me. The tri-color paint is an essence of pearl, or a candy color as some call it. It consists of three layers of paint. Each layer is opaque, it has some pigment but you see through it into the next layer. So, as you walk around the car, the paint changes hue, it plays tricks on your eyes. It looks much different in the shade than it does in the sunlight. Eventually, you should be able to detect about five variations of color in it. It is well worth the extra money you payed.

I doubt you damaged anything. It is covered with a final layer of clear coat who's job it is to protect the underlying paint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the pictures, it looks good to me. The tri-color paint is an essence of pearl, or a candy color as some call it. It consists of three layers of paint. Each layer is opaque, it has some pigment but you see through it into the next layer. So, as you walk around the car, the paint changes hue, it plays tricks on your eyes. It looks much different in the shade than it does in the sunlight. Eventually, you should be able to detect about five variations of color in it. It is well worth the extra money you payed.

I doubt you damaged anything. It is covered with a final layer of clear coat who's job it is to protect the underlying paint.
Yea I think maybe the paint is playing tricks on me.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
just don't get it ceramic coated, buffed, or waxed - you would be really upset.
although maybe a thin layer of unbuffed glaze or wax would give you the desired effect.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yea I think maybe the paint is playing tricks on me.
I suspect this as well, it’s a sweet colour for sure, but washing or waxing will not change the look of the paint colour/effect, as you’re only cleaning/waxing the top clear coat, not changing anything in the actual paint colour.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For anyone reading this thread, while its old I want to add something about the metallic finishes. I have the Vulcano black and wasn't that impressed with it in the evening light. As the light goes down further, wow. As the sun hits it, wow. Without sun mid day, its ok...low light evening, meh.

All the same color, different lighting...many emotions.

If there are paint issues/damage, you would notice differences between one area and another. Like our bodies, everything generally comes in pairs so try and get the parts in similar light from a suspected issue area then look at its sister part and see if the same 'defect' applies. If it does, then there is no issue - if only one part has the issue, then maybe there is something wrong with the paint in that spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts