Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue recently on my qv where the infotainment screen didn't turn on. I've also been having issues with the 12v not always turning on my plugged in device, and with my clock settings resetting itself to 24h instead of 12h, so I finally took my car in to have it serviced and also have the software updated since other members have reported versions higher than mine (in fact I've seen people having 4 other versions, all higher than mine)

I bought my car from Alfa of Larchmont and the sales department was great and my advisor was even more so, but there service is lacking. At the suggestion of @MDriver I went to Alfa Miller of CT instead, and the service is night and day different, so thank your for the recommendation!

Back to the qv, they said that I had the latest software version for my particular model/version/features (maybe those qv owners with the driver assistance package [something I don't have and didn't want] have a different software version, if you want to confirm). They also said that my battery had low voltage and threw a fault code at the computer. This must have been caused by the year my car sat on the lot waiting for me to come rescue her. They think the battery was the cause of the display and 12v issue, but think the clock format is a bug still to be fixed. My battery is now fully charged but my software is still the same, albiet with ACP.

Now onto the cars and revelation.
They had in their shop:

A Chiron and a Veyron (both of which don't come with an infotainment screen, to my amazement considering they cost 1mil plus) (they both also had their entire body panels off so they could be worked on)
2 huayras
4 570s
2 720s
A P1
A Spyker
A bunch of astons including 2 zagatos
A bunch of Maseratis
A bunch of Bentleys
(They said there was about 40mil worth of cars there)

But the best car I saw there was a Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio ;)
All joking aside there was one qv in comp red that looked beautiful.

And finally the revelation, despite Alfa's reliability reputation, there was only 1 Alfa there, besides mine. Hopefully that speaks more to the reliability and less to the fact that no one is buying them (vs. a half million plus hypercar).

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Glad you liked the service.
Norbert is great guy..we go back to when he was at BMW. He helped build my E39 M5 Dinan S2, so when I saw him there I knew the Alfa was in good hands...
did you see the AM Vulcan there?? with the no pictures sign on it:grin2:
I have said this time and again. the key to Alfa is just finding the right dealer. it is imperative on the service end.
I purchased my QV from the same place, and my sales guy was GREAT!!..I had one of the first 2 cars they received in 2016. But the service is woefully lacking....the service guy there is very nice...I feel for him but he is just not equipped to handle this car and I blame that on ownership!
I will be replacing my BMW SAV with a Stelvio or Levante in January depending on what deal I can work out with Miller>:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have notice every time I make a change in the infotainment the clock is reset to 24hr. After tow changes I have made I know know I need to reset the time to 12hr format before leaving setting. Is it painful yes, is it quirky more so, but it is an Italian car after all.
I have a My2018 TI Sport not a QV, but I suspect this part of the software is the same no matter the model. Hopefully they fix it soon, but not something I will los sleep over if they do not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A Chiron and a Veyron (both of which don't come with an infotainment screen, to my amazement considering they cost 1mil plus) (they both also had their entire body panels off so they could be worked on)
Bugatti have done this as the most modern screen possible in a car today will look rubbish 5 years from now which i totally agree with if your looking at making a future collectible

I would of loved to seen all those cars, that is quite a collection

·
Banned
219 Posts
Some nice vehicles in there. My dealer sells Fiat, Alfa, and Maserati. I have noticed that every time, I have been in the service department there is usually 4-5 Maserati's sitting there to be serviced compared to maybe 1 or 2 Fiats and Alfas. Makes you wonder. Watched a TV program on the Bugatti "factory" I was amazed that a team of only like 5 workers put each car together by hand.

·
Registered
278 Posts

The infotainment screen on both of these cars is located on the front dash board. It is right next to the speedometer and it reads RPMs !!

I would hope anyone buying those vehicles is not seriously looking at them for their infotainment screen. If i was fortunate enough to own a Bugatti i am not sure i would even turn the radio on.

As a side note my wife and i came out of a restaurant one night a long time ago and out in front by the valet stood a beautiful old Ferrari spyder. My wife glanced inside and turned to me and said " there is no radio in that car?" I chuckled and pointed my finger at the engine compartment and said " yes dear the radio sits right here"

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you liked the service.
Norbert is great guy..we go back to when he was at BMW. He helped build my E39 M5 Dinan S2, so when I saw him there I knew the Alfa was in good hands...
did you see the AM Vulcan there?? with the no pictures sign on it:grin2:
I have said this time and again. the key to Alfa is just finding the right dealer. it is imperative on the service end.
I purchased my QV from the same place, and my sales guy was GREAT!!..I had one of the first 2 cars they received in 2016. But the service is woefully lacking....the service guy there is very nice...I feel for him but he is just not equipped to handle this car and I blame that on ownership!
I didn't have Norbert but the guy I got seems as good as good you describe Norbert

Sadly no Vulcan, but the Senna had a no photo sign on it >:)

Yeah I agree, he's always nice when you yeah to him on the phone but he just can't cope. Also too, he does Chrysler and Dodge service (making Alfa the top of what he handles) vs. Miller who service hypercars (putting my qv at the low end).

As a side note my wife and i came out of a restaurant one night a long time ago and out in front by the valet stood a beautiful old Ferrari spyder. My wife glanced inside and turned to me and said " there is no radio in that car?" I chuckled and pointed my finger at the engine compartment and said " yes dear the radio sits right here"

Lol, love it!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Bugatti purposely didn’t want any big info screens on the middle of the dash so the car’s interior remains timeless. All our big LCD displays will look pretty unimpressive a few decades from now. At least Alfa did a great job integrating the display into the Giulia and Stelio models unlike many manufacturers that look like they simply bolted an iPad to the dash as an afterthought...

As to Miller Motorcars you should have been there when they had EIGHT LaFerrari’s on display under one roof a few months ago... photos of the event below. Also they had a 288GTO up on the lift to the right with its glorious engine out on display below on the right side of the panorama. Two other LaFerraris, one red and one a titanium color were off separately displayed that you can’t see in the panorama...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bugatti purposely didn’t want any big info screens on the middle of the dash so the car’s interior remains timeless. All our big LCD displays will look pretty unimpressive a few decades from now. At least Alfa did a great job integrating the display into the Giulia and Stelio models unlike many manufacturers that look like they simply bolted an iPad to the dash as an afterthought...

As to Miller Motorcars you should have been there when they had EIGHT LaFerrari’s on display under one roof a few months ago... photos of the event below. Also they had a 288GTO up on the lift to the right with its glorious engine out on display below on the right side of the panorama. Two other LaFerraris, one red and one a titanium color were off separately displayed that you can’t see in the panorama...

Never thought I'd be excited going to a service department lol

·
Banned
219 Posts
Something, I still chuckle about. In 71 and 72, I was stationed in Italy with the USAF. I owned an Alfa spider and the turn signals quit working. At the base hospital, we had some Italian nationals working and not knowing where the dealer was. I asked, him if he would stop by and get me a turn signal solenoid. He, came back with a switch instead. So, after finding out where it was. I took the switch back. I am trying to explain what I needed. I knew that Luce was the Italian word for light. So, I ended up asking for a luce 'Blinka Blinka" The guy looks at me and says. Si, Si, Si and goes back to get me the right part. I have always laughed at my pigeon Italian. I never became fluent in Italian and relied on adding an a, I, or o to the end of an English word and was always surprised how well it worked.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not surprised...you werein Greenwich you know....You can't drive more than the 6 blocks of Greenwich Ave without seeing one of those parked....*laugh* Of course the car d'jour is a black S-class, Bentley, Range Rover or 911/Panamera/Cayenne. Car spotting in June at the Concours at the Delmar is always fun but usually the real expensive ones are the classics in the show. No one in their right mind will park a supercar in the jammed up lots under the highway unattended...

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also forget to mention that they had a Senna there today. Came in just as I did. What a car!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Some nice vehicles in there. My dealer sells Fiat, Alfa, and Maserati. I have noticed that every time, I have been in the service department there is usually 4-5 Maserati's sitting there to be serviced compared to maybe 1 or 2 Fiats and Alfas. Makes you wonder. Watched a TV program on the Bugatti "factory" I was amazed that a team of only like 5 workers put each car together by hand.
This tracks with what I was told by the Service Manager at my local Alfa/Maserati shop (Essence). He said that the Alfa’s come in and need software, the Maserati’s need parts.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Software issues is why I love my vintage Fiat Spider, Not a single computer in it. I can actually work on it and get great joy doing it. Parts are cheap, too.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Software issues is why I love my vintage Fiat Spider, Not a single computer in it. I can actually work on it and get great joy doing it. Parts are cheap, too.
All true and it’s super nice to be able to work on your car but without modern tech you don’t get 505hp from 2.9L and still be able to crack 30 mpg as well as all the safety systems to keep your RWD monster from getting up close and personal with trees and other unplanned off-road excursions. I wouldn’t be able to use my QV as a daily driver if it wasn’t for most of the tech in it so it swings both ways. Everyone fancies themselves as Senna or Andretti but driving powerful cars in the real world shows us most people aren’t...

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I'm not surprised...you werein Greenwich you know....You can't drive more than the 6 blocks of Greenwich Ave without seeing one of those parked....*laugh* Of course the car d'jour is a black S-class, Bentley, Range Rover or 911/Panamera/Cayenne. Car spotting in June at the Concours at the Delmar is always fun but usually the real expensive ones are the classics in the show. No one in their right mind will park a supercar in the jammed up lots under the highway unattended...
yes you are right that Greenwich ave is a car-spotters dream, but as a point of fact Miller Motors services only Ferrari in the Greenwich store everything else is in Stamford CT:wink2:

·
Registered
641 Posts
yes you are right that Greenwich ave is a car-spotters dream, but as a point of fact Miller Motors services only Ferrari in the Greenwich store everything else is in Stamford CT:wink2:
I will be dropping my Quad off again this Thursday for the them to solve my multiple warning lights issue. Norbert and Hector (another service tech) are anxiously waiting to hear my Centerline Magnaflow Stradale exhaust.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will be dropping my Quad off again this Thursday for the them to solve my multiple warning lights issue. Norbert and Hector (another service tech) are anxiously waiting to hear my Centerline Magnaflow Stradale exhaust.
I got Hector. Really nice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.