Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Not a winter storage question, just a storage question (here in Australia we don't have anything that most North Americans would recognise as winter anyway). This seems the most appropriate thread though.

I will be leaving my Giulia (2.0 Veloce) unattended in the garage for about ten weeks. On the advice of the dealer I bought the car from, I bought an "Optimate 6 Ampmatic" charger to keep the car charged. This is supposed to be a smart charger that performs a gentle cycle on the battery rather than just keeping it fully charged all the time. I plan to connect it to the front terminals in the engine compartment, and have the car under a fabric cover to keep the dust off.

My question is whether this will be safe in terms of venting and air circulation in the battery compartment. The battery should still be in good condition so I don't think we will be talking lots of current. Ambient temperature should vary from around 25C at the warmest during the day down to about 5C at the coolest overnight (77F down to 41F).

· Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,298 Posts
Not a winter storage question, just a storage question (here in Australia we don't have anything that most North Americans would recognise as winter anyway). This seems the most appropriate thread though.

I will be leaving my Giulia (2.0 Veloce) unattended in the garage for about ten weeks. On the advice of the dealer I bought the car from, I bought an "Optimate 6 Ampmatic" charger to keep the car charged. This is supposed to be a smart charger that performs a gentle cycle on the battery rather than just keeping it fully charged all the time. I plan to connect it to the front terminals in the engine compartment, and have the car under a fabric cover to keep the dust off.

My question is whether this will be safe in terms of venting and air circulation in the battery compartment. The battery should still be in good condition so I don't think we will be talking lots of current. Ambient temperature should vary from around 25C at the warmest during the day down to about 5C at the coolest overnight (77F down to 41F).
The battery is sealed, excepting a small vent that connects to a piece of tubing that is routed to the exterior of the car. If this is connected properly it will prevent any need for venting or air circulation in the battery compartment while trickle charging.

The following, or the generic equivalent is what I and many forum members are using:

https://moparonlineparts.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-battery-charger-p-7720.html

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.