Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had transmission problems in any of the models?
I have a base model and the tranny sims to "jerk" back and forth around 3rd and 4rth when you slowing down and had to resume speed,
I took it to the dealer and the mechanic said "thats normal" some how I don't buy it, anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, it's throttle by wire and a torque converter automatic. The ZF is a fine gearbox so I doubt you are in any trouble there. More likely, the throttle signal AND brake by wire signals are a little flaky around those speeds, gears, rpms. Keep an eye on it and be a smooth as you can with your foot pressure. If it continues to be a problem, be a little more generous with your foot. Digital systems have a way of being stuttery around a threshold value. Think database map or number in a chart box. You want to offer enough input that the computer has no doubt as to your intent. A key skill in running an F1 robotic manual, which this is NOT, but shares similar sensors. Drive it and practice.;)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,841 Posts
i have had low throttle response in N mode in a 200hp when braking hard to enter a roundabout and then attempting to accelerate out ... sometimes ... twice in all in fact, every other time has been ok, ... i can feel i wont get a good response, so i lay off the throttle and let the computer catch up to what i want to do rather than force it to a higher than necessary rev (still running in )

i have had a bit of a shudder at times when the car is getting confused with a "change-up/ change-down, what the flip do you want to do" response from the car,

it all appears to be just the combination of all the whizzbangery that John K knows a lot more about

just take it easy when it happens and let the car learn your driving habits, youre not causing it any damage, but like John said, a bit more throttle is all it needs,

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know about this transmission. Mercedes-Benz transmissions learn over time, which takes care of a lot of this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a base model and the tranny sims to "jerk" back and forth around 3rd and 4rth when you slowing down and had to resume speed,
I took it to the dealer and the mechanic said "thats normal" some how I don't buy it, anybody else had this problem?
mine is surprisingly smooth, actually the best automatic i have driven, but i have not sampled the latest german cars. are u driving in D mode when it does that or does it do it in N as well ? N is a bit smoother overall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have noted that while driving in D, the shifting is quicker and more abrupt, and I feel a little "thump" when the transmission shifts. In N up and down shifting are really smooth.

This is my first automatic ever, except for my wife's SUVs. I was really reluctant but I am very impressed now. I still miss that third pedal, heel and toe, and that feeling of total control of a manual. I guess we can't stop progress. (On week ends I go back in time driving my "down to earth" 1993 RS America :laugh:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it ha pends in all 3 positions and trying agresiva and smooth no matter how it does it most of the times not always

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great points guys. And hearing about the rotary entry and exit is helpful too. I find similar effects on the robotic F1 and entire traction control system. I am pretty sure there are some functions that are not disabled even though you are in race mode or ASR off in the 360. Another factor is the VVT system on the Ferrari F131 engine. I notice that the most because you are always sandbagging around town and short shifting under 5K rpms. This means the cam adjusters are all extended to boost low end torque. The solenoids are controlled by the ecu, which reads rpm and throttle position. Throw in vibration, pitch changes, bumps in the road and the accelerometers for the anti-lock brakes and ASR and you can see how the system would have to "buffer" to keep up.

And you want the transmission to kick when you are driving more aggressively. That is part of the fun. Listen to the last of the V8 F1 cars bang through the gears. That's paddle shift heaven and I hope the ZF does well even if it's not technically a robotic manual. You can even hear the clutch bounce as it grabs the higher gears. "Bun-nun-nun-naaaa, bun-nun-nun-naaa, bun-nun-nun-naaaa!"

Reactions: Aamer

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, it's throttle by wire and a torque converter automatic. The ZF is a fine gearbox so I doubt you are in any trouble there. More likely, the throttle signal AND brake by wire signals are a little flaky around those speeds, gears, rpms. Keep an eye on it and be a smooth as you can with your foot pressure. If it continues to be a problem, be a little more generous with your foot. Digital systems have a way of being stuttery around a threshold value. Think database map or number in a chart box. You want to offer enough input that the computer has no doubt as to your intent. A key skill in running an F1 robotic manual, which this is NOT, but shares similar sensors. Drive it and practice.;)
John k is spot on and your computer will adapt to your driving style over time as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys.... those are great explanations and I appreciate it but I just wanted to know if had happen to you in your Giulia?
just.... raise your hand if this append to you..... Capisci?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Joe S, I have a Ti and the only time I get any sort of shifting issue is if I literally floor it from a stopped position.... that causes it to lurch a little as it winds from 1st through 4th... after there it's smooth sailing.. If I temper the throttle there is no issue and the car effortlessly changes gears... Sounds like something you want to monitor..

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Chipps, thanks for the tip. Self learning is another computer trait. Good to know on the ZF. You should see a Ferrari F1 self learn after an ECU/TCU reset. Transformers! Pow-pow hydraulic action.
:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
This has not happened to me, 2500 miles in. You and your Soul must be one with the electronics...
all kidding aside hope you are not experiencing something not designed as intended.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's my hand

guys.... those are great explanations and I appreciate it but I just wanted to know if had happen to you in your Giulia?
Yes, it happens in my TI, in both D and N modes, less in N. Is it true that the transmission will learn my driving style?
Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Joe - here's my hand. It happens in my TI, more in D and less in N mode. Is it true that the transmission is learning my driving style, as has been suggested in previous posts?
Don

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yup, happened to me couple of times in slow snaky busy traffic on a hilly curvy road (**** northern VA)....I figured it is what some other guys here talk about ( I am an engineer after all despite being all my life in international business development) and gave the car a bit more input......it goes promptly away....interestingly enough ZF in Audi or BMW does not behave like this at low speeds.....however Alfa has done good job in programming this ZF, it reads my mind in Dynamic......fuzzy logic will do the rest when car gets enough miles in mixed environment I guess

·
Registered
2 Posts
My guess is If the car had some miles on it and at one time it threw a Check Engine code; you still have to reset both the engine computer and transmission computer. Removing the EFI fuse and ETCS fuse does it on most cars, or disconnecting the negative battery cable 3-5 minutes. Otherwise slip the Tech $50 and tell him to reset everything to new with his machine so it learns your driving style from factory settings. Confused shifts in Normal mode is telltale signal that the vehicle requires a hard reset. Not sure what procedure is best for an Alfa so confirm all this the more savvy guys on this board check perhaps European forums before you start pulling fuses.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
After reading all the posts, it seems that more than one have similar experiences. Not every Giulia, just some.

My question is, how does it shift while in manual mode?

Even if you don't have paddles, you can put it in a manual mode and shift with the joy stick.

Also, are we talking about the Ti only? Or is the base and Quad also effected. And then there's the AWD version vs the RWD version. The more facts the better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
After reading all the posts, it seems that more than one have similar experiences. Not every Giulia, just some.

My question is, how does it shift while in manual mode?

Even if you don't have paddles, you can put it in a manual mode and shift with the joy stick.

Also, are we talking about the Ti only? Or is the base and Quad also effected. And then there's the AWD version vs the RWD version. The more facts the better.
mine is a base, no paddles, mostly driven in full auto mode in N, and some D, transmission behavior has been perfect, 900 miles

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joe,

Ti, RWD with 19" Sport Package. Having similar issues, and no, it's not normal. Alfa thought it was the transmission. Here are all my "symptoms" with the car.

Only happens once car is warmed up.
Only happens at low RPMs, from 1200-1800.
Only after you have taken your foot off the accelerator and then resume.
Happens mostly when you accelerate gradually, i.e. normal.
Happens in Automatic or Manual mode.
Car appears to "stumble" or hesitate.
This even happens if you are in cruise control, tap the brakes, let the revs fall to about 1400, and then hit "resume."
Once the revs are up, it runs well.
It has happened in every gear from 4-8.
It happens with every driver, not just me.

First time in the shop, the tech couldn't figure it out. After a couple of weeks, they called me back in to reset the transmission. Once reset, problem still persists. Car is still at the shop. An engineer who will be in town for another car will take a look at the same time.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts